UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Leaving Congo... 3 days ago I buried a Pygmy baby.

9/7/12 9:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
scrapdo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Much respect for learning about/trying to help other humans, Justin.

I can't help but ask a few things;
1. What treatment did the child and Mother need?  How can these people know what was needed?
2. If it was starvation, why would they be giving chickens (food) to the hospital instead of feeding them?
3. Did they deny treatment because of the cost, or because they view these people as inhuman? They treated once so I'm curious and also if this was not a pygmy mother/child would the hospital have just given treatement w/o payment?
4. Any insight as to why they'd deny treatment to a people they "own"? Seems they'd want to take care of their workers/"property".

Hopefully this didn't come off as disrespectful, I'm just trying to understand. Again, much respect for telling their stories.

9/7/12 10:07 AM
ChickendanceThailand
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be happy to suggest or help you brainstorm some ideas if you want, just send me a PM. I am starting a non-profit and have been working overseas for three years.

I can't guarantee anything but connecting with like-minded people always produces something good!

Excellent work and keep posting here!!!
9/7/12 2:04 PM
justinthevikingwren
1108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey UG brothers I JUST landed on American soil in Chicago. Having to close my phone going through customs but I'm blown away by the responses and amount of support!

Thank you guys... I feel I was there for Andibo and his mamma for a very specific reason... So their story doesn't go untold and that we can get some help to the Pygmy people. Some of their government officials told me they've been all over and the Pygmies have to be the most mistreated, neglected and rejected people group on the planet.

Thank you guys! I'm glad it's not only me that wants to help. :-)

I'll respond more soon! Phone Post
9/7/12 2:54 PM
justinthevikingwren
1108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

scrapdo -  Much respect for learning about/trying to help other humans, Justin.

I can't help but ask a few things;
1. What treatment did the child and Mother need?  How can these people know what was needed?
2. If it was starvation, why would they be giving chickens (food) to the hospital instead of feeding them?
3. Did they deny treatment because of the cost, or because they view these people as inhuman? They treated once so I'm curious and also if this was not a pygmy mother/child would the hospital have just given treatement w/o payment?
4. Any insight as to why they'd deny treatment to a people they "own"? Seems they'd want to take care of their workers/"property".

Hopefully this didn't come off as disrespectful, I'm just trying to understand. Again, much respect for telling their stories.

If this was a Bantu no way this would have happened!

I'll respond more when I'm not checking luggage to fly back to Dallas. Phone Post
9/7/12 4:07 PM
justinthevikingwren

Here is a concern I guess I didn't think about... Maybe someone can help me. 

I've held kids probably this year but definitely last year at an orphanage where many kids had HIV... This year the village where I was made family had a few children who had tuberculosis...

My little sister named Fina had TB (tuberculosis) and she has a beautiful heart and beautiful smile... But at times she looked like a skeleton with skin on. It hurt me hearing her cough so much. So when she wasn't, I held her a few different times and showed her how to play frisbee and a few games. 

My girlfriend is a nanny and watches three kids. So I fly in tonight after not seeing her for a month & I won't be able to see her now until I go through some blood testing. 

Does anyone remember or know how long it takes to get TB test back? They do two sets of skin scrapes and it's either a few days a part or two weeks a part. Does anyone know how long it takes to get back results? 

Thanks for the help if you have some knowledge on the situation!
9/8/12 12:30 PM
Kneeblock
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 days
9/10/12 12:22 PM
reverend john
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

get back to me brother

rev
9/10/12 4:12 PM
justinthevikingwren

Hey Rev and many guys... I am sorry I have been BEYOND jetlagged the last two days... I am starting to feel a bit better. I had to take the cure for Malaria the day before I left Congo and that, or if I was really getting sick... One of them made me feel weak. 

My email is Iam@justinthevikingwren.com

Anyone please feel free to email me, it comes straight to my phone so it's much easier for a quick line of direct communication than a direct message on here. 

I have a meeting with my creative team tonight about maybe getting a website put up for the pygmies. 
9/10/12 4:15 PM
justinthevikingwren

I will be connecting with many of you guys soon... 

Also... Pics have always been a hassel for me to post or I just don't know the best way. Do I need a photobucket to post them? What is the easiest way? 

I posted a bunch of pics up on my facebook... Maybe someone can help me out? Or just let me know the easiest way. 

Thanks so much guys... Also if you missed it I put up my first ever youtube video and it's on the first page of this thread. 

Thanks UG for ALL your advice and help! You guys ROCK! 
9/10/12 4:24 PM
crowbar
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/10/12 6:10 PM
If you embedded a video,you can darn sure post pics.It`s almost the same process.

Copy the URL

Click on that square mountain looking thingy with the sun in the post box ( make sure that there is a cancel AND OK box on the bottom) Do this by clicking on the mountain again if need be.

Paste the URL where it says URL

Click ok ( the picture will appear)

Click post

Win!

9/10/12 4:30 PM
DiscipleDojo
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder
Here's a link to Justin's FB gallery with the pics: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.466611410037214.108993.266427446722279&type=1
9/10/12 4:37 PM
crowbar
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/10/12 4:48 PM
3rdLion
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

Great work Justin
9/10/12 5:00 PM
justinthevikingwren

crowbar -  

This is my brother Bongo! 

25... My age... And my buddy and I were able to pay what is equivlent to our senior year in the US and pay for his state exams and he will be one of... Or the FIRST Pygmy to ever get a diploma :-) 

9/10/12 5:00 PM
justinthevikingwren

crowbar - If you embedded a video,you can darn sure post pics.It`s almost the same process.

Copy the URL

Click on that square mountain looking thingy with the sun in the post box ( make sure that it says "cancel AND OK" on the bottom of the box) Do this by clicking on the mountain again if need be.

Paste the URL where it says URL

Click ok ( the picture will appear)

Click post

Win!

Thanks Crowbar! 

I have to leave my computer but maybe later I can do more. 
9/10/12 5:18 PM
crowbar

Your welcome.
9/10/12 5:19 PM
Machinegunjoe
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We need more ppl like you Justin on this planet
9/10/12 6:21 PM
justinthevikingwren

Has anyone seen that video? Can you hear it? Sorry for the poor sound quality...

The Pygmy Chief and the slave master looked like they were about to get into it so people started talking loud and I was too far away from the phone... I looked to the side a few times you can tell to check the situation. Luckily my buddy was over there to try to calm everyone down... I think the Pygmies wanted to kill the slave master... I can't blame them. He denied helping Andibo get treatment. Phone Post
9/10/12 9:52 PM
DiscipleDojo
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I could hear it pretty well when I watched it, man.
9/12/12 8:27 PM
justinthevikingwren

Update: Andibo's mamma

She is still suffering from severe dehydration, malnutrition, and starvation. As well as anemia and worms... Sounds like they are treating her though which is better than the last two times.

She also has what Andibo died from...

Here is the email I just received. 

"There were 3 major problems that were interrelated: Starvation caused by worms and Anemia. Actually the worms caused anemia. The little food she eats is shared with this worms. Some of worms live on blood (Ankylostomiasis) and others share the same food. At this point she is safer but still monitored in the hospital."

Do you guys think we can get some funds to help mamma with her hospital bills... And also if we could raise enough we could move her ENTIRE tribe to the land I walked... And they would no longer be slaves! 1sq kilometer... $38,000

1 (sq kilometer) is
247.105 acres

That is $160 dollars per acre! 

The land is pure rainforest... The land is untouched by loggers... Not like some of the forest where it sounded like thunderstorms from giant tree's falling from illegal cutting 

This would FREE them

This would PRESERVE their culture! 

This would PRESERVE the rainforest, the animals, etc... (yes even with the Pygmies being hunters!)

I say that but this is truly HUMAN conservation! The Pygmies have lived in the forest for thousands and thousands of years. They only cut twigs really and small small trees for firewood but normally get it from dead trees... Big trees are holy.

They only eat certain animals... And they only eat what they NEED so they have NEVER over hunted... Never will! 

This would preserve human lives! Rainforest! And animals! 

This would be the start to the 5 sq km's we have a vision for... Starting schools on their land.. Free... Start them farming for THEMSELVES rather than being slaves... Be land we could send medical teams too and maybe even one day have a Pygmy hospital! 

$190,000 would be the full 5 sq km's... (1,237 acres) 

This would give them more than enough land for a LOT of the Pygmies in the area to farm, to live, to hunt, to BE FREE. 

If you guys say Kickstarter raised 5 million for a VIDEO game I hope we could raise a quarter of a mil for HUMANS lives being saved... Plus rainforest and animals.

Looking for ideas on a way that this is done legitimately to where I don't look like I am doing this for money... To where the donations are KNOWN by everyone that the people benefiting from the donations are THE PYGMIES. 
9/12/12 8:48 PM
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your heart is in a great place but I don't see how you could provide school, modern farming, or even medical care on demand without turning the beautiful culture you just described into an westernized culture. Those things are not part of their tradition and there's no way they can adopt them fully without changing inevitably.
9/13/12 1:17 AM
justinthevikingwren

HexRei - Your heart is in a great place but I don't see how you could provide school, modern farming, or even medical care on demand without turning the beautiful culture you just described into an westernized culture. Those things are not part of their tradition and there's no way they can adopt them fully without changing inevitably.
Everything I stated was from at least two hours around the campfire at NINE different Pygmy villages with the Chief and their elders. They were all specific needs they stated and desired...

The Pygmies have no land of their own.

The Pygmies are slaves.

The Pygmies know they have no voice without any schooling. The vast majority want school so their kids can have "their eyes opened" (the term they kept using).

They want to preserve their culture... But they don't want to be slaves and or starve.

Illegal cutting has chased away most animals in that region for hunting so food is much much more difficult for them now. They want a stable source of food. They love corn, they love beans, and they make an AWESOME dish with it. They can farm for themselves on a portion of land, and they can go deep in the forest to hunt for meat... But they don't have to starve if they go empty handed in the hunt.

They already farm as slaves... This just lets them farm for themselves.

The hospital would save lives...

On their land they get to do whatever they want... Live freely... And preserve their culture. With these being their suggestions. I don't see how it's changing their culture... At least in a bad way. It's educating them when they want to... It's feeding them when they are starving... And it's hopefully going to give them meds when they are sick. Phone Post
9/13/12 2:41 AM
Tat2tillidie
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

justinthevikingwren -
HexRei - Your heart is in a great place but I don't see how you could provide school, modern farming, or even medical care on demand without turning the beautiful culture you just described into an westernized culture. Those things are not part of their tradition and there's no way they can adopt them fully without changing inevitably.
Everything I stated was from at least two hours around the campfire at NINE different Pygmy villages with the Chief and their elders. They were all specific needs they stated and desired...

The Pygmies are slaves.

The Pygmies know they have no voice without any schooling. The vast majority want school so their kids can have "their eyes opened" (the term they kept using).

They want to preserve their culture... But they don't want to be slaves and or starve.

Illegal cutting has chased away most animals in that region for hunting so food is much much more difficult for them now. They want a stable source of food. They love corn, they love beans, and they make an AWESOME dish with it. They can farm for themselves on a portion of land, and they can go deep in the forest to hunt for meat... But they don't have to starve if they go empty handed in the hunt.

On their land they get to do whatever they want... Live freely... And preserve their culture. With these being their suggestions. I don't see how it's changing their culture... At least in a bad way. It's educating them when they want to... It's feeding them when they are starving... And it's hopefully going to give them meds when they are sick. Phone Post
You're a awesome guy ... I applaud people who do stuff like this ... I always say I'm too broke or too busy but in reality it's because it's not in my neighborhood is the main reason...

I love to help people if I can and reading what I just typed almost makes me sick , that's how 90% of the world thinks ...

Anyhow TTT good luck and I have clothes if you decide to do the clothing donations ... Phone Post
9/13/12 8:32 AM
justinthevikingwren

Tat2tillidie -
justinthevikingwren -

The Pygmies are slaves.

You're a awesome guy ... I applaud people who do stuff like this ... I always say I'm too broke or too busy but in reality it's because it's not in my neighborhood is the main reason...

I love to help people if I can and reading what I just typed almost makes me sick , that's how 90% of the world thinks ...

Anyhow TTT good luck and I have clothes if you decide to do the clothing donations ... Phone Post
Thank you SOOO much bro!

I'll let you know! Phone Post
9/13/12 3:37 PM
DiscipleDojo

Hey man, lemme know if you got the email I sent you yesterday about doing an story on this over at the Dojo and for Examiner. 

-JM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.