UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> stopping uppercuts

9/6/12 12:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I was was working out with a guy who does muay thai the other day and I started asking questions about blocking uppercuts.

His preferred method is to slip the glove down beneath his chin and absorb it there.

Ok. So what if you aren't wearing gloves? Same thing? Any other options?
9/6/12 8:48 PM
jrrrrr
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 - there is a boxing forum. You'll probably get better answers there.
2 - Don't tilt your chin to forward..don't hunch over too much. that'll keep it from being to much of a target.
3 - as your buddy said, have one hand near centerline to palm uppercut.
9/9/12 7:14 AM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What jrrrrr said.

If you are more upright, than an uppercut isn't going to be a big issue. I find the only time someone throws upper cuts at me is in the clinch, there I tend to use my forearm and elbows to block.
9/12/12 11:36 PM
HUMBLED1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/12 11:36 PM
 Imagine that your arms/forearms are two huge wood doors,SLAM THEM SHUT,bring your arms together elbow to elbow and glove to glove with head down and elbows just above waistline. 

just watch out for the hook afterward

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.