UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tito Ortiz Says Jon Jones Stabbed Him In Back

9/6/12 6:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AshDoherty
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From MMAMania.com

It seems Jon Jones may have upset another one of his (ex) colleagues.

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion and now UFC Hall of Famer, Tito Ortiz, says he is offended that Jones, a person he stood up for when no one else did, had some not-so-nice things to say about him in an recent interview.

In the sit down with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani, ‘Bones' had this to say when asked what he felt like after he was blasted by UFC President Dana White for his decision to not accept the late-replacement fight against Chael Sonnen:

"I do everything they ask me to do, I really do, and you know, it really hurt man, it hurt to be on the different spectrum, to be compared to Tito Ortiz. I don't complain about money, I don't complain about anything, I do what I'm told."

That didn't sit too well with the recently retired Ortiz, who told MMA Weekly that he spent his entire career putting 'his life on the line' and taking bad raps on his image so that fighters like Jon can make the type of money and sign the type of contracts they have today.

Those comments, after the jump:

"Well check it out, the situation happened with 151. He was supposed to fight Chael. Well, actually he was supposed to fight Dan Henderson. He gets hurt the week before the fight, then they say you're going to fight Chael and he said no way and caught a bunch of flack from it. All of the fighters said he isn't a true fighter and nobody has ever done this before and, it's crazy, I thought it was crazy. And I stood up for the kid. I like Jon Jones. I think he's a great champion. I think he's a great guy. I've hung out with him in Vegas and I really took a liking to the kid because he's, I think he's the next best great thing. Then, all of a sudden, I heard an interview from him saying, 'People need to stop comparing me to Tito Ortiz because I don't talk about money.' And, I took a very heartfelt, that was like a stab to my back. I stood up for you when no one else did, I stood up for you and you turn around and say something like that? You have to understand, when you drive around in your Bentley, or, I don't know if he even has it anymore since he wrecked it into a tree, but when you're driving around in your Bentley, you have to understand, I'm the person who put my life on the line and my career and my image and my name on the line to take everything I did to battle for the type of contracts that you have, for the money that you're making. If it wasn't for the things I've battled for and I took all the bad image because of it, you'd be driving around in a Toyota right now. Fighters need to understand and respect guys on my level that I took a lot of flack to negotiate and battle for what I believed in. It wasn't a factor of talking about money, it was a factor of what I believed I was worth. That's been my whole career. I was going out and I was doing the main press. I was going out and doing the reality shows and doing the wrestling stuff and always being a person outside of the box of not just being a fighter and I was believing what I was worth and I was trying to raise the bar for all fighters and I think I've done that. And for him to say the things he's saying that, 'I'm not like Tito Ortiz because I don't talk about money.' Don't disrespect me like that man, I've had your back when no one else did. That's all I said and I was just disappointed. I was very, very disappointed with Jon. Maybe he is just young, maybe he is just 22 or 23-years old and he doesn't know, maybe the stardom is getting to his head. Like I said, I took a liking to Jon Jones, but I was just disappointed in that interview I read. That's all I got to say about that."

No one can argue the fact that Ortiz is a true pioneer of the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) and his well-documented battles with Dana White perhaps did set some kind of precedent as to how fighters and their management teams negotiate when it comes to money.

Whether or not Jones made that comment with malicious intent, is open for interpretation.

Like it or not, Jones will eventually be compared to Tito, as the young phenom is closing in on the record for consecutive 205-pound title defenses. Ortiz defended his title five consecutive times before forking it over to Randy Couture in 2003. Jones is currently at three defenses and is set to attempt to defend his title for the fourth straight time as he takes on Vitor Belfort at UFC 152 on Sept. 22, 2012 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

In the end, only Jones knows whether or not he meant the comment to be offensive or not. However, if Tito, or other people, for that matter are upset with him, he probably won't lose any sleep over it, because after all, he isn't in the fight game to be loved.

9/6/12 6:42 PM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It what alternate universe dose JBJ not talk about money? That was his whole line of reasoning on the potential Machida rematch and I actually agreed with him a bit even though I wanted to see that fight if he beat Hendo. Phone Post
9/6/12 6:43 PM
irishrottie
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon contradicts himself when he discusses not wanting to fight Machida because of PPV numbers lol
ABE FROMAN
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea, people need to stop trying to bully Tito. That was pretty weak if you've spent time with a dude and you know him.

A_Shovel
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect to Tito, no comment on Jones Phone Post
MMALOGIC

Somebody doesnt like Jon Jones... 
9/6/12 6:46 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't frequently agree with Tito, but he's spot-on with this one, and he actually made his point well. Phone Post
9/6/12 6:48 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito making everything about himself Phone Post
9/6/12 6:50 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tell him Jacob.
9/6/12 6:50 PM
pi6el

For once Tito makes a great point.
9/6/12 6:51 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito, eloquent as ever. Phone Post
9/6/12 6:54 PM
Hocky Balboa
7585 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Jones is starting to get a big head, and swagger jacking Tito in the process. Phone Post
9/6/12 7:03 PM
Stu Cazzo

I don't complain about money,

What the fuck?  Why even mention that Machida doesn't draw so well then?

9/6/12 7:08 PM
BlueandMaizeIsForGheys

At least Bones can fight because he clearly lacks the intelligence or social skills to do anything else. Phone Post
9/6/12 7:10 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think JBJ implies that Tito complained about money and tried to renegotiate and stuff, while he doesn't.

Even so, will he just stop digging a hole with his mouth already? His PR skills are on the opposite side of his fighter skills.
9/6/12 7:12 PM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

augiemax.com
I think all Tito Ortiz Quotes should be done in Center Alignment like they were haikus.
9/6/12 7:13 PM
nubs

MarcusRenatoBlackBelt - Jon Jones is a legend. He is a warrior. No Champion fights more times in a year than Jon Jones. Tito Ortiz paved the way for Tito Ortiz. Jon was simply saying he did not want to be compared to Tito Ortiz and his complaining about making money and not being a company man. Subliminally, he probably did not want to be compared to Tito Ortiz because he is a much more talented fighter than Tito Ortiz.

Tito said that Jon Jones is the "Greatest Light Heavyweight Of the Night" when he was in Affliction. Jon Jones got mad because he said Vitor is 137 years old. Tito is basically saying that Jon Jones fights senior citizens. Of course he is pissed.

Here is the Video and Source of Tito Ortiz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIoWzsgV5mY

Of course he's a more talented fighter, he has so many fighters to learn from and resources that didn't exist when Tito was in his prime.
9/6/12 7:16 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair, Tito is the perfect example to bring up if you are talking about an athlete who has relationship issues with the company that employs them.
9/6/12 7:19 PM
andyman011

It would be too much of a compliment to compare Jones to tito. Money, how well he brought up the ufc and balls wise. Tito was getting in the cage bare knuckle 3 fights a night with no tapes on eachother and they were twice his size, he still pushed their faces on. Jon Jones is scared of sonnen not because he didn't get a full training camp, not because he was injured but because his coach didn't have enough time to analyze tapes of sonnen. That's what fake fighters do, they study and study to find the smallest hole and exploit it. Lucky for him Greg has that covered Phone Post
9/6/12 7:23 PM
ranier wolfcastle
885 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

some would say tito was just trying to price himself out of the liddell fight that he knew he couldnt win
9/6/12 7:27 PM
SandraBullockFan
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that line about the car into the tree, didn't tito also total a car? i could be making that up but i thought he did
9/6/12 7:28 PM
Authority Figure

GriffinQ -  Don't frequently agree with Tito, but he's spot-on with this one, and he actually made his point well. Phone Post

9/6/12 7:28 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So we can add a knife in the back to Tito's list of injuries and excuses for losses.

9/6/12 7:29 PM
KZTT_W85
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

irishrottie - Jon contradicts himself when he discusses not wanting to fight Machida because of PPV numbers lol
First thing that came to my mind Phone Post
9/6/12 7:32 PM
Jons Forsberg

putting 'his life on the line' and taking bad raps on his image so that fighters like Jon can make the type of money and sign the type of contracts they have today.

lol @ Tito watching out for anyone but himself. probably the single most selfish person in the history of MMA.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.