UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Question for experienced Wrestlers ..Run the pipe

9/7/12 6:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shiznit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After wrestling for a couple of years the guys i wrestle with have become impossible to take down with a basic run the pipe. Ive analyzed my technique and it just seems even with perfect technique the run the pipe stops working for me and my training partners. There balance has become that good,my balance has improved also. The question is, am i correct in assuming that Running the pipe on a single stops working at a certain point? After this point other types of single and other techniques have to be used? Thanks in advance :0)
9/8/12 12:13 PM
shiznit

ttt
9/9/12 2:28 AM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shiznit - After wrestling for a couple of years the guys i wrestle with have become impossible to take down with a basic run the pipe. Ive analyzed my technique and it just seems even with perfect technique the run the pipe stops working for me and my training partners. There balance has become that good,my balance has improved also. The question is, am i correct in assuming that Running the pipe on a single stops working at a certain point? After this point other types of single and other techniques have to be used? Thanks in advance :0)

Hey Shiz...that makes me chuckle

Use it as a setup now. So if you go for your dump or running the pipe, and it doesn't result in your take down. There are a couple of options to work into. Driving across into a double leg ( there are some very key details on this one that should be noted, so don't just bull across! Work with a good coach on this one!). Or bringing the single high after the dump doesn't work...my personal favorite though is countering the leg back and sweeping it out from under my opponent by bringing it chest high. Makes a nice little thud when he hits ;-) the mat

Improving your single leg finishing percentage now becomes a strategy of putting combinations of finishes together to get one step ahead of your opponent ...

Frank Molinero "Once I get the single, I never let go"
9/9/12 4:37 AM
shiznit

Edited: 09/09/12 5:40 AM
EdgeHoboken - 
shiznit - After wrestling for a couple of years the guys i wrestle with have become impossible to take down with a basic run the pipe. Ive analyzed my technique and it just seems even with perfect technique the run the pipe stops working for me and my training partners. There balance has become that good,my balance has improved also. The question is, am i correct in assuming that Running the pipe on a single stops working at a certain point? After this point other types of single and other techniques have to be used? Thanks in advance :0)

Use it as a setup now. So if you go for your dump or running the pipe, and it doesn't result in your take down. There are a couple of options to work into. Driving across into a double leg ( there are some very key details on this one that should be noted, so don't just bull across! Work with a good coach on this one!). Or bringing the single high after the dump doesn't work...my personal favorite though is countering the leg back and sweeping it out from under my opponent by bringing it chest high. Makes a nice little thud when he hits ;-) the mat

Improving your single leg finishing percentage now becomes a strategy of putting combinations of finishes together to get one step ahead of your opponent ...

Thanks for the reply :0) The run the pipe used to work 100 percent of the time, untill its success sees opponenets balance get better every time i use it. It still works on some people all of the time but sooner or later there going to be hopping and defending and making it very hard to finish in time. Now though it rarely works on someone good. My working options from there are very similar to what you suggested, Il use the run the pipe to set up my barzarger{not sure if thats how its spelled lol} il run the pipe then the short choppy steps the motion along with a back step and flaring the leg up get me in position for the barzarger.

I also use different attacks aswell as picking the leg up high and sweeping the leg away with a kick finish. Again depending on opponent it really depends on which finish il use,if someone is very strong il use a different finish to somone who is very tall.

Other techniques i use are split the legs where il take my right arm and slide it between partners legs{BEEP!} and place it on there thigh while using my other arm {elbow deep} to keep hold of the leg,then il make a circular motion with there leg and myself and get behind.

Another technique il use is where il run the pipe and use the motion to set up a change off to the ankle,where i level change and reach for the far ankle while holding the leg when im there i simply drive through as they hit the matt to get behind.

I think the key to finishing the single or indeed any takedown is motion and never staying still once you stop it becomes so much harder to finish any takedown,movement is the key :0)
9/9/12 5:34 AM
shiznit

EdgeHoboken - 

There are no good wrestling coaches where im from,infact theres hardly any wrestling. Ive literally had to teach myself how to wrestle,and besides anything else the journey of learning how to wreslte myself is really really enjoyable.

Its been a long long road but im getting there slowly. Instead of learning alot of random takedowns ive tried to focus on what i thought was most important-stance- position-movement-penetration or driving straight through but most of all stance,maybe im wrong but i figured out that if im in perfect stance all through a wrestle im going to be much much harder to takedown and score on, i try to stick with very basic fundemental set ups,leg attacks{double,single,high c,low single} and other important techniques.

Mainly i focus on stance,keeping a perfect stance or as close too as possible in all position,even in on a leg attack a single for instance,to still try and hold a good stance. I love Terry Brands philosophy of running right through someone and not stopping still no matter what position or technique your using,even on something like a dresser dump.

But getting back to your what you said about running the pipe i feel that sometimes i focus just to hard on running the pipe i waste too much energy on it and would be better to just chain attacks together like you suggested. I figured this out a while ago but being very stubborn i tend to try and not let a technique get the better of me lol :0)
9/9/12 1:48 PM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shiznit - 
EdgeHoboken - 

There are no good wrestling coaches where im from,infact theres hardly any wrestling. Ive literally had to teach myself how to wrestle,and besides anything else the journey of learning how to wreslte myself is really really enjoyable.

Its been a long long road but im getting there slowly. Instead of learning alot of random takedowns ive tried to focus on what i thought was most important-stance- position-movement-penetration or driving straight through but most of all stance,maybe im wrong but i figured out that if im in perfect stance all through a wrestle im going to be much much harder to takedown and score on, i try to stick with very basic fundemental set ups,leg attacks{double,single,high c,low single} and other important techniques.

Mainly i focus on stance,keeping a perfect stance or as close too as possible in all position,even in on a leg attack a single for instance,to still try and hold a good stance. I love Terry Brands philosophy of running right through someone and not stopping still no matter what position or technique your using,even on something like a dresser dump.

But getting back to your what you said about running the pipe i feel that sometimes i focus just to hard on running the pipe i waste too much energy on it and would be better to just chain attacks together like you suggested. I figured this out a while ago but being very stubborn i tend to try and not let a technique get the better of me lol :0)

Where do you live? I'll see if I can't hook you up with a decent wrestling coach in your area. Lots of great wrestlers out there, that just aren't in the sport anymore. It is a blast to learn the journey one your own, but wrestling is a discipline that the finest of details make the biggest impact while getting to the next level.

I think you have 100% the right philosophy, don't try to learn too much, perfect your basics so you can hit them on anyone.

I'll try to make a video this week for you of running the pipe/single leg dump, then running across into a double leg finish. The most important thing is hip placement and footwork.

9/11/12 1:11 AM
EdgeHoboken

Shiz,

First off thanks for the gift, that was awesome. I will make certain to take full advantage of it and share some more techniques and videos.

Second, I seem to remember having seen a post by you this afternoon saying you were in the UK- maybe it was a PM? When you we're talking about no wrestling being around I was afraid you were going to say the UK haha. I'll see who I can dig up in your area, if not there I have connections to several European Champions in Italy and a few other countries.

When your girl is in NYC shopping, you should absolutely come by and train. We are a 6 minute subway ride from the World Trade Center site (RIP to 9/11 victims). Or 15 minutes from Time Square.

I'm going to PM you some more info...
9/11/12 5:54 AM
shiznit

Edited: 09/11/12 8:44 AM
EdgeHoboken - Shiz,

First off thanks for the gift, that was awesome. I will make certain to take full advantage of it and share some more techniques and videos.

Second, I seem to remember having seen a post by you this afternoon saying you were in the UK- maybe it was a PM? When you we're talking about no wrestling being around I was afraid you were going to say the UK haha. I'll see who I can dig up in your area, if not there I have connections to several European Champions in Italy and a few other countries.

When your girl is in NYC shopping, you should absolutely come by and train. We are a 6 minute subway ride from the World Trade Center site (RIP to 9/11 victims). Or 15 minutes from Time Square.

I'm going to PM you some more info...

Yip the good old U.K the land of bad teeth and zero wrestling :0)That will be unreal! The misses can wrestle her way through new yorks shopping centres il do some proper wrestling lol
9/11/12 12:52 PM
john joe
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web monkey
shiz where are you based? I am in Manchester and also trying hard to work on my wrestling, thats why i keep posting queries here

its absolutely uncanny how much you sound like me, the things you write, the problems and ideas youre having etc, im reading your posts like wow, that sounds like me

i find i have a decent technical understanding of the basic (standing) moves and some par terre/grounded stuff because ive done bjj for a good while as well. But my actual wrestling is nowhere near my observation and information imparting - I can show you ten different ways to finish a single but me doing them in the live wrestle is another story! :)

i did a course with the British Wrestling Association in Salford which was good, their level one coaches course. They run up to level three, which is national level coaching, obviously i am years off that, but i am using what ive learned to bring new guys in my gym on so that eventually our overall wrestling level is raised.

we have some very good wrestlers dont get me wrong, but all with an MMA background. Im interested in wrestling as a system and as a martial art, i want all the nuts and bolts.
9/11/12 3:55 PM
EdgeHoboken

Edited: 09/11/12 4:00 PM
Little video I made this afternoon for you two, my two training partners demonstrate the inside step technique into a single leg dump...up next is the double leg finish off a single.

http://youtu.be/9f01dAjmHg0

9/11/12 4:42 PM
shiznit

john joe - shiz where are you based? I am in Manchester and also trying hard to work on my wrestling, thats why i keep posting queries here

its absolutely uncanny how much you sound like me, the things you write, the problems and ideas youre having etc, im reading your posts like wow, that sounds like me

i find i have a decent technical understanding of the basic (standing) moves and some par terre/grounded stuff because ive done bjj for a good while as well. But my actual wrestling is nowhere near my observation and information imparting - I can show you ten different ways to finish a single but me doing them in the live wrestle is another story! :)

i did a course with the British Wrestling Association in Salford which was good, their level one coaches course. They run up to level three, which is national level coaching, obviously i am years off that, but i am using what ive learned to bring new guys in my gym on so that eventually our overall wrestling level is raised.

we have some very good wrestlers dont get me wrong, but all with an MMA background. Im interested in wrestling as a system and as a martial art, i want all the nuts and bolts.

Im from the U.K your from manchester? Ive worked with or trained with alot of the U.K{northeast}pros 90% id say at some point or other,Blatant name dropping here!!!haha Colin Fletcher{current},Andrew Punshon{current},Mick Butler{current not mma ,british and scottish open combat and sport sambo champ}Phil Defries{current},Liam James{current},Ryan Scope{currently recovering from knee surgery and had 8-10 months out but first day back training still leathers everyone on a diet of rolo cookies and choclit milk}Jack Sexton{current hes injured though and has become a rap sensation bigger than fiddy cent}..lots of others but im ashamed of the shameless name dropping so i shall cease and disist immediatly..ya welcome in the gym anytime,im a wrestling nerd and can waffle on about wrestling all day...I also know ya work collegues Rob Hewitt{i used to train with Rob ten years ago} and Dave Kirkland....OK OK IL STOP NOW!!lol Did i mention Jack sexton??...hahaha
9/11/12 4:49 PM
shiznit

EdgeHoboken - Little video I made this afternoon for you two, my two training partners demonstrate the inside step technique into a single leg dump...up next is the double leg finish off a single.

Awsum video :0) love the details in it. Do you prefer to use shoulder pressure or chest pressure? I like to get my shoulder on my opponents thigh and use that ot get the pressure when finishing and taking a back step for running the pipe. Also what grip do you prefer? wrist grab,gable or butterfly grip? Sorry for being a pest,im in ocd mode right now lol
9/15/12 2:18 PM
EdgeHoboken

shiznit - 
EdgeHoboken - Little video I made this afternoon for you two, my two training partners demonstrate the inside step technique into a single leg dump...up next is the double leg finish off a single.

Awsum video :0) love the details in it. Do you prefer to use shoulder pressure or chest pressure? I like to get my shoulder on my opponents thigh and use that ot get the pressure when finishing and taking a back step for running the pipe. Also what grip do you prefer? wrist grab,gable or butterfly grip? Sorry for being a pest,im in ocd mode right now lol

Shoulder, chest and head pressure. In wrestling the more pressure we can maintain the better. Grip on your single should be wrist, note the hand behind the leg is on the top. If you have your hand that is inside the leg on top, it will e easier to break your grip. The video is pretty evident of the grip we prefer ( note this is not me in the video, but two of our other coaches) 

Jp
10/11/12 6:25 PM
Soul Gravy

sub

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.