UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> SPEARing a shorter person

4/17/02 5:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lofland
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-02

I'm between 6'3" and 6'4" and about 195 lbs. Most potential attackers will be shorter than I am, but they may very well be heavier and have a lower center of gravity. In "S.P.E.A.R. System Fundamentals," you mention the collar bone and throat as the main targets on the body (aside from blocking the arm if necessary). What about SPEARING the attacker right across the nose with the edge of the forearm? What are the advantages and disadvantages of that? I might be too panicked to remember to bend down to attack the collar bone/throat at a good angle, and SPEARing downward from a standing position wouldn't seem to give very good leverage. I know this is is kind of hyper-technical and if I'm ever in a panic-attack type situation I might not have time to think about the target, but I was just wondering. Thanks in advance for your response. Also, the beta site looks great!
4/17/02 8:33 PM
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-02 09:12 PM
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Hi - I'll try to be succinct in this as I m short on time. 1. First and most importantly, the primary point of contact for the SPEAR is NOT the collar bone throat, please revisit this in GREAT DETAIL on the tape, for straight forward defense, for practice, the ideal point of contact is the sternum, dead center mass with the arm/hand directed towrds or over the collarbone (depends on your size). 2. A deadly force attack can be redirected towards the throat. 3. Remember in sudden attacks the target moves towards you, that's the simplicity and magic of the SPEAR. eg: In a class last week, a trainer knocked himslef out by running into the CQCS... simply because of the position we adopt, there was no need for me to do anyhting other than hold ground. 4. In a stressful situaiton you wont need to remember any of this because the SPEAR positiion is shaped by behavioral reactions, when you choose to convert the flinch, CWCT will take over. 5. As far as striking across the face, no problem; if the level of force is warranted or if that happens to be the CWCT application thats where it'll land. Hope this helps, TOny PS remember, the BETA site is private for now.
4/17/02 9:28 PM
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great question and answer!
4/17/02 11:44 PM
Lofland
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you, Tony, it has been well over a month since I watched the "S.P.E.A.R. Fundamentals" tape, I'll go back over it slowly. I'm sure that trainer will remember the Close Quarter Combat Stance for the rest of his life after that. I know from sparring that the hardest punches are the ones I "assist" by walking right into them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.