UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> "no such thing as head-inside run-the-pipe single"

9/7/12 11:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
john joe
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/07/12 11:11 AM
Fighters Only, web monkey

I will take this opportunity to state that one can only properly run the pipe with the head outside the hip. The widespread popularity of MMA has produced the weird phenomenon of unqualified people teaching wrestling technique on instructional videos. I found several clips of people teaching something called "running the pipe" with the head inside in what I assume are MMA gyms.

Correct me if I am wrong but I get the impression that someMMA outlets are hesitant to embrace the knowledge of qualified wrestling coaches to teach standing wrestling technique stubbornly preferring to use whomever they have on hand to instruct on take downs no matter their background or credentials.

If someone is teaching running the pipe with the head inside they are either using improper nomenclature for a different technique, or, and I fear this is more likely, they are charlatans teaching bad technique. The tragedy in this is that I have little doubt the charlatans make far more money than I in their coaching endeavors.
per

Mike Riordan

Bloody Elbow's collegiate and Olympic wrestling analyst.
Unsuccessful college wrestler and high school wrestling coach
Holds a J.D. from the University of Virginia
Lifelong Virginian

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/22/3032196/strikeforce-judo-chop-daniel-cormier-vs-josh-barnett

9/7/12 11:13 AM
john joe
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have actually been taught a head-inside run-the-pipe at an MMA gym so i am curious (the thinking being, head-inside lessens guillotine risk)
9/7/12 1:59 PM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/07/12 2:10 PM
I normally respect Mikes opinions and posts, he has some great perspectives on wrestling. But this is a completely inaccurate statement. Running the pipe with the head outside is a crack down from a high crotch, your head should always be inside on a single leg (or it becomes a high crotch) and your running the pipe is as such (which is also called a dump) .

I will try to post a video this afternoon of the proper technique. What I think is happening here is mike is confusing two similar finishes with the same name. One is off a high crotch, one is off a double leg, both are ver effective.. Just a naming mistake.

And I make a lot of money as a wrestling coach for MMA, but I'm also very very very good.
9/7/12 2:46 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^Who are you edgehobokan?  Enjoying your informative posts in the wrestling forum. 
9/7/12 3:28 PM
john joe

EdgeHoboken - I normally respect Mikes opinions and posts, he has some great perspectives on wrestling. But this is a completely inaccurate statement. Running the pipe with the head outside is a crack down from a high crotch, your head should always be inside on a single leg (or it becomes a high crotch) and your running the pipe is as such (which is also called a dump) .

I will try to post a video this afternoon of the proper technique. What I think is happening here is mike is confusing two similar finishes with the same name. One is off a high crotch, one is off a double leg, both are ver effective.. Just a naming mistake.

And I make a lot of money as a wrestling coach for MMA, but I'm also very very very good.

well thats what i thought, i think Mike is very good as well so that particular sentence about the head inside pipe not existing kinda threw me

interesting

i would really appreciate the video if you find time
9/8/12 12:36 PM
shiznit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQanUTuZF3M Run the pipe head outide taught by one of americas best wrestlers Raymond Jordon teaches running the pipe form head inside single. Chase Pami , the Purlers and most wrestling coaches in the U.S.. as do alot of wrestling coaches in most countries. Saying its wrong is a bit silly.
9/9/12 2:18 AM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spoke with Mike, was a simple mix up on terms. He didn't mean to sound as though he didn't like inside single dumps, he just didn't like it being called running the pipe. He plans to put out an article this week to clarify his post.

Our convo can be seen on his or my twitter @coachmjr or @edgehoboken . Mikes a great analyst
9/9/12 2:20 AM
EdgeHoboken

ChipW -  ^^^Who are you edgehobokan?  Enjoying your informative posts in the wrestling forum. 

Thanks chip, it's fun. Just a couple of high level wrestlers living out the dream just outside of NYC

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.