UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Paulo Filho stops Ninja Rua, or did he?

9/7/12 11:52 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The first time Paulo Filho and Murilo 'Ninja' Rua fought in a Brazilian Top Team vs. Chute Boxe showdown, Filho took a unanimous decision. Six years later, on September 6, the two fought again in the main event at Brazil's Best of the Best.

This time Filho got the KO at 1:20 of the first.

While Ninja indicated he wanted to continue, and in the initial view the stoppage by world-class ref Mario Yamasaki appears potentially to be premature, in the replay Ninja was clearly out. And there is no ten count in MMA.

Ninja is widely rumored to have suffered brain damage in his 2004 bout with Sergei Kharitonov, and to have undergone brain surgery.

Ninja has countless fans, but for some fighters, perhaps most notably Kazushi Sakuraba, what their biggest fans hope for is a long and happy retirement.

Filho vs. Ninja I

9/7/12 11:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RickStorm
1680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
 All I saw was swinging lol
9/7/12 12:04 PM
BROTHER WISDOM
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm -  All I saw was swinging lol

Lol nice!

It looked a bit early but Ninja was definitely rocked. His chin is dead
9/7/12 12:05 PM
N5Z
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would be awesome to see Filho put himself together again.
9/7/12 12:06 PM
MediumRareMistake
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Early but whatever Phone Post
9/7/12 12:10 PM
japetto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ninja didn't know what was going on for a few seconds, so not such a bad stoppage, IMO. Ninja doesn't need to take any more beatings.
SonofJockstrap
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly think Yamasaki was probably told to protect Ninja if he looked to be in any dangerous spot.
teepsfordays
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

somebody needs to make an "IN" gif out of 1:33
9/7/12 12:11 PM
Toquinho
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filho vs shogun 4 revenge
Then shogun vs arona Phone Post
9/7/12 12:12 PM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ninja has fantastic striking defense. Look at that head movement against the cage. Phone Post
9/7/12 12:13 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

poor Ninja man, I hope he takes it easy...
9/7/12 12:14 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bit of a late stoppage, imo.

Maybe Mario was thinking to himself "Dont let Ninja take an unnecessary beating, dont let Ninja take an unnecessary beating..."

He was rocked, but he was actively going for a single leg.

Tough call, Refs should always err on the side of caution when it comes to fighter safety though.

We as fans can bitch about it, but we arent the ones that are trying to make sure no one is seriously hurt.
9/7/12 12:27 PM
neibs

I though ninja retired? Either way, he looked really out of shape, almost like a guy they pulled from the crowed or something. I love ninjas fights but hopefully he calls it quits for his own health. Phone Post
9/7/12 12:37 PM
Sudo21
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is Ninja still fighting?
9/7/12 12:44 PM
UGCTT_chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was watching it last night, it looked like Ninja was out when he was wrapped around Filho's leg and woke up when he was separated. It's hard to tell what exactly happened and there's definitely room to say it was an early stoppage. I think that Yamasaki made the right call. Phone Post
9/7/12 12:45 PM
Jaybrone
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paulo had so much talent to bad he became such a monumental disaster. And Ninja was on queer street eatting solid shots. I have no problem with the stoppage.
9/7/12 1:08 PM
Attila
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF happened to Ninja? He was a badass in Pride and suddenly became a can.
9/7/12 1:16 PM
blueheron20816
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

was that Arona in the with Filho? Been a while since Ive seen that guy, whats his story these days?
9/7/12 1:19 PM
Chris27

Wow that was ugly, look at those strikes from Filho.
9/7/12 1:46 PM
MadmanGadman
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

N5Z -  Would be awesome to see Filho put himself together again.
Yeah it would. I was thinking the same thing during this video. Phone Post
9/7/12 1:51 PM
stebrillz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He shouldn't even be fighting anymore, past his best years ago and just gets punished Phone Post
9/7/12 1:52 PM
epwar
638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So is Filho permanently blacklisted from Zuffa? Is there a tiny chance we might see him show up? Maybe in Strikeforce?
9/7/12 2:07 PM
Smellde Gluve
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm -  All I saw was swinging lol

Hehe.

"Sometimes these things happen in MMA."
9/7/12 2:15 PM
Smellde Gluve
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure if it was Arona but he had a similar chin in the sky posture. Maybe the dude was just proud of Paulo.

A while back I heard Arona just liked to hang out at the beach(surf?) and only took fights casually when his money was out. Not sure if true.

But then he was looking to have a casual meeting with Dana in vegas right?

After that I haven't heard anything.

When he beat Wandy in Pride was definitely one of the most exciting fights I've ever seen.
9/7/12 2:16 PM
cool hand Ed
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't want to see ninja get knocked out anymore. This feels like Chuck Liddell all over again. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.