UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dolce: Speed is Belfort's key to beating Jones

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/7/12 1:48 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Banking on Speed

The Monday before the fight he’ll probably weigh between 210 and 212. Our goal is to have him at 208. That’s my goal. Anywhere between 208 and 212. We know his body and he performs best right around that 210-pound range. I’m shooting for 208 pounds because he doesn’t have to be BIGGER than Jon Jones – he just needs to be FASTER. He’s faster than Jon at 220. At 208 Vitor is faster than most lightweights. Anyone that has trained with Vitor will tell you that he’s the fastest guy they’ve ever trained with. So we’re going to maximize power, speed and endurance at that body weight.

Some are calling Jones v. Belfort a mismatch. Tell us why they’re wrong?

Look what Vitor did to former world champion Rich Franklin, look what Vitor did to Matt Lindland, who was the best middleweight at one time. Vitor finished Anthony Johnson, who is not as tall as Jon Jones, but almost as long and definitely heavier and more muscular than Jon Jones. Vitor is a finishing machine, he’s a knockout machine, his jiu-jitsu is amazing. I’ve seen Vitor wrestle; he’s got some of the most underrated wrestling in MMA. That’s the Vitor I know.

I saw the odds – 13 to 1 underdog! When I heard about this fight, as soon as Vitor called me I said, ‘You’re going to win this fight! You are perfectly built to knock Jon out.’ Look at Jon Jones versus (Lyoto) Machida. Machida could touch Jones all day with that left hand to the jaw. Vitor is twice as powerful and four times faster than Machida. So if Machida can touch Jones’ jaw, Vitor is going to obliterate it. No disrespect to Jon, it’s just a terrible matchup for Jon Jones. That’s my belief.

Man, I’ve watched Vitor’s entire career … how the heck can you say Vitor is a 13-to-1 underdog against anybody?! It’s ridiculous!! Vitor is healthy, he’s hungry and ready to roll! Man, it’s a bad fight for Jon. I predict Vitor is going to get that light heavyweight title and make history.

read entire article...

9/7/12 2:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bram
1464 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Vitor is twice as powerful and four times faster than Machida."
9/7/12 2:07 PM
Attila
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very smart strategy. No point in punishing his body for 10 lbs of body weight that would tax his speed and endurance anyway. If Vitor wins, it will be thanks to his crazy speed.
9/7/12 2:08 PM
KevinMcAllister
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bram - "Vitor is twice as powerful and four times faster than Machida."
Science Phone Post
9/7/12 2:10 PM
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" I've seen Vitor wrestle; he's got some of the most underrated wrestling in MMA."

I also saw Hendo make Vitor look like he'd never wrestled in his life...
9/7/12 2:12 PM
Woodford Mike
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure I agree that Vitor is a terrible matchup for Jones, but I think he's right on speed being Vitor's biggest ally in this fight. His best chance, maybe only chance, is to somehow get inside and catch Jones with one of those machine gun flurries he breaks out every once in awhile.

Unlikely, but not impossible. Phone Post
9/7/12 2:18 PM
Gin Tonic
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stronger then Machida in terms of KO power? Yeah i can buy that. I'm not so sure about faster though.

Or as accurate.

But i do believe he can land on Jon and do some damage if he goes berzerker mode early and doesn't gas.
9/7/12 2:18 PM
rjambi

Stopped listening to anything Dolce says after I saw my man Chael Sonnen's body at weigh ins for Silva Sonnen 2. He sucked down that water bottle like he was literally dieing. Dolce sales his product well but I'm not so sure he's the genius people make him out to be.
9/7/12 2:19 PM
Confided

Agree with the title, but the statistics he states are kind of funny. Remember what he said about Sonnen? Lulz Phone Post
9/7/12 2:23 PM
disbeliever
617 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Attila - Very smart strategy. No point in punishing his body for 10 lbs of body weight that would tax his speed and endurance anyway. If Vitor wins, it will be thanks to his crazy speed.

This all day. Vitor will never be as heavy or have the reach Jones has, but he has that speed. Make sure his endurance lasts and is at the right weight to be explosive.

I never understood why BJ put on fat weight to fight GSP the second time. He was the 155lb champion and he put on 10 lbs of fat in an attempt to be near the same weight as GSP, instead of maximizing his advantages. imo anyway
9/7/12 2:27 PM
Phisher

"Look what Vitor did to former world champion Rich Franklin," - Hit him in the back of the head repeatedly.

"look what Vitor did to Matt Lindland, who was the best middleweight at one time." -LOL

"Vitor finished Anthony Johnson, who is not as tall as Jon Jones, but almost as long and definitely heavier and more muscular than Jon Jones. " - Belfort was taken down at will by Johnson and had his eye pouned shut before Johnson gassed and crumbled. And Mentioning Johnson's size is laughable. Dude was finished the same way by Rich Clementi who's a natural LW.
9/7/12 2:39 PM
in_different
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I fucking agree. no use being a partial fan when you can be a hardcore fan. And I have confidence that the phenom will CRACK that jaw of Johnny Crushed-Bones Jones. Call the doctor cuz that shits all over. and the crowd goes wild.

Vitor is that little kid you grew up with. The one that was always faster and stronger and more athletic than you. But you always felt better than him because you told yourself that your emotional strength and intelligence superseded his. Well he grew up. and he made it to the UFC. and he became a murderer. the phenom they called him. but his mental capacity was the fault of him. then he went through tragedy. he matured. he became a man. and he stormed back with a vengeance. He was back in the news. but then as soon as he earns the rights to challenge the champion. his mentality failed him. but then he continued to grow. to become wiser and more mature. and through it all, aches this thirst. the unquenchable quench. TO WIN.
9/7/12 3:03 PM
Sublime7SD
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my humble opinion, it's not a good fight for Vitor. I think Jon Jones will win pretty convincingly. I'd rather see Vitor knock him out, but I would not bet anything I cared about on it.
9/7/12 3:04 PM
Ensanity
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stick to diets Phone Post
9/7/12 3:09 PM
Willin_But_Not_Chaeble
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KevinMcAllister - 
bram - "Vitor is twice as powerful and four times faster than Machida."
Science Phone Post

9/7/12 3:10 PM
enbanc

Phisher - "Look what Vitor did to former world champion Rich Franklin," - Hit him in the back of the head repeatedly.

"look what Vitor did to Matt Lindland, who was the best middleweight at one time." -LOL

"Vitor finished Anthony Johnson, who is not as tall as Jon Jones, but almost as long and definitely heavier and more muscular than Jon Jones. " - Belfort was taken down at will by Johnson and had his eye pouned shut before Johnson gassed and crumbled. And Mentioning Johnson's size is laughable. Dude was finished the same way by Rich Clementi who's a natural LW.

Harsh but true
9/7/12 3:13 PM
Willin_But_Not_Chaeble
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in_different - I fucking agree. no use being a partial fan when you can be a hardcore fan. And I have confidence that the phenom will CRACK that jaw of Johnny Crushed-Bones Jones. Call the doctor cuz that shits all over. and the crowd goes wild.

Vitor is that little kid you grew up with. The one that was always faster and stronger and more athletic than you. But you always felt better than him because you told yourself that your emotional strength and intelligence superseded his. Well he grew up. and he made it to the UFC. and he became a murderer. the phenom they called him. but his mental capacity was the fault of him. then he went through tragedy. he matured. he became a man. and he stormed back with a vengeance. He was back in the news. but then as soon as he earns the rights to challenge the champion. his mentality failed him. but then he continued to grow. to become wiser and more mature. and through it all, aches this thirst. the unquenchable quench. TO WIN.

"The unquenchable quench."

Epic new UG'ism.
9/7/12 3:40 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Dolce aka "Jimmy Craig" should really be focused on Vitor's weight. Dolce has a horrible fight IQ IMO.
9/7/12 3:41 PM
FCFBlazer
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reading that has me a bit excited for the fights on 22nd! Phone Post
9/7/12 3:55 PM
HexRei

in_different - I fucking agree. no use being a partial fan when you can be a hardcore fan. And I have confidence that the phenom will CRACK that jaw of Johnny Crushed-Bones Jones. Call the doctor cuz that shits all over. and the crowd goes wild.

That's a serious mancrush you got there.
9/7/12 9:47 PM
SQUEEZIE

cool story bro
9/7/12 9:50 PM
SQUEEZIE

XxLiveBaitxX - Mike Dolce aka "Jimmy Craig" should really be focused on Vitor's weight. Dolce has a horrible fight IQ IMO.

great at the weight cutting shit. not so good analyzing fighters and fights.
9/7/12 9:56 PM
SQUEEZIE

MarcusRenatoBlackBelt - I agree with Dolce. Vitor will have a huge speed advantage. If he utilizes his punches and is aggressive, I think he can drop Jones. If Jones drops, Vitor can finish him with GNP. Vitor is a dangerous puncher, a southpaw, and Jon Jones will have to engage him on the feet for a period of time. Jones has never been one to rush his takedowns. He is successful because he blends his takedowns with his striking. I haven't seen Jones diving for takedowns from way out of Range just because he is fighting a better striker on paper. He does not rush his takedowns (which makes them more successful) Fighters DESPERATE for the takedown give away their whole gameplan. This is not 2008 where you can just shoot immediately and get the takedown. TDD as a whole has improved, and the key to takedowns is timing.

Jones will stand with Vitor for most of the first round. He will use his kicks and use his range even more in this fight. There is NO Chance Jones will rush him and shoot immediately. That is not his game. His fight with Lyoto proved this.

jbj shot immediately on bader. and said he did it to prove a point. what ever u think your strength is he will challenge rt away to let u know its not as big and advantage as u thot it was.
he completely fucks with there confidence...then he takes the fight to where ever he chooses(usually your weakness).nd u know what happens from there on out.
9/7/12 9:58 PM
SQUEEZIE

Edited: 09/07/12 10:03 PM
i do think vitor has the best standing style to get to jones. still dont think he comes close to getting it done tho.
9/7/12 9:58 PM
SQUEEZIE

Edited: 09/07/12 10:00 PM
sorry

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.