UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> JKD FMA vs Tradional FMA

9/7/12 3:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jrrrrr
326 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I'm involved in a tradional FMA(offshoot of Pekiti Tircia) class. Now little of the training that I am doing is similar to the JKD FMA training that I had many a year ago.
The JKD training then involve the reg attrbute drills; hubud-lubud, box sabrada, basic siniwali, etc.
The trad FMA training now is wall defense(never heard of that till now), stick tapping, and other stuff I have never seen on any JKD dvd or anyplace else. More work on understanding of footwork and body structure.

Has anyone else noticed this difference? Why would this be?
9/10/12 1:42 PM
jrrrrr
326 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So no one here has done serious FMA work...?
9/10/12 4:33 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no experience in JKD style FMA that's why I'm not commenting. The way I know it though, each JKD gym has a unique curriculum of its won.

Also, the "aliveness" crew and many people here do not believe that FMA is realistic nowadays. Plus, we have a bunch of know it alls who love to criticize stuff but won't even agree to a light and friendly sparring session. Just my observations.
9/11/12 1:11 PM
Out To Lunch
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siciliano - I have no experience in JKD style FMA that's why I'm not commenting. The way I know it though, each JKD gym has a unique curriculum of its won.

Also, the "aliveness" crew and many people here do not believe that FMA is realistic nowadays. Plus, we have a bunch of know it alls who love to criticize stuff but won't even agree to a light and friendly sparring session. Just my observations.

Does this include Kali Illustrimo? That style is considered realistic, right?
9/11/12 3:49 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

** Types reply then hears sirens. Oh no! It's the aliveness police! Runs for cover. **
9/11/12 3:59 PM
Out To Lunch
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siciliano - ** Types reply then hears sirens. Oh no! It's the aliveness police! Runs for cover. **

I haven't been on this forum in awhile. Has it gotten that bad?
9/11/12 4:28 PM
jrrrrr

I'm more referring to differences of kali curriculum from tradional FMA to JKD FMA.

I know there a whole issue of "aliveness." One can talk about drills -hubud-lubud, sumbrada, etc- and talk if they are alive and/or the importance/skills developed from them.

I'm more talking about difference in averall curriculum.
9/11/12 5:04 PM
Siciliano

Edited: 09/12/12 6:25 PM
Short answer: There are several escrima systems. PTK is one system. They're all different from one another.

Actually, I train BJJ now at a JKD school. Trevor Clarkson (PFS guy under Paul Vunak). I don't go to JKD class though since I'm totally committed to getting better on the ground. Just this weekend, I did an escrima seminar for them to showcase the system I trained in.

The JKD guys (in my gym) do a lot of hubud, sumbrada, etc. bec i believe they've been influenced by Paul Vunak and Mark Mikita. Bear in mind that JKD FMA varies from school to school too. From what I know, guys like Roy Harris (Ilustrisimo/Inosanto/Balintawak), Burt Richardson (Inosanto/Ilustrisimo/Lameco/LSAI), Trevor Clarkson (Vunak/Mikita/Inosanto), Armando Basulto (Doce Pares/Vunak/Inosanto), Marc Denny(Pekiti/Lameco/Dogbrothers), Rick Faye (Inosanto) etc. got exposed to different FMA systems.

Apologies to the above mentioned practicioners if I got it wrong. Pls feel free to correct me.
9/15/12 10:54 PM
Calbert
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saw this. I don't frequent the forum as much as I used to so it took me a while. As far as a JKD FMA vs. a classical FMA curriculum, I think what you get just depends on the instructor and what their influences are. What does that mean? Well.....the way Guro Dan Inosanto presents his FMA system is sort of like the Jun Fan of Filipino Martial Arts. He has trained in multiple FMA systems (and has instructor credentials in most of them), but he emphasizes different techniques, drills, etc. depending on the subject matter, difficulty level, etc. So for example, I've noticed that back in the day a lot a lot of the close quarters curriculum was heavily based in eskrima serrada and a lot of the counter for counter stick stuff or stick and dagger stuff was influenced by the numerado from the Villabrille system. Nowadays, much of the close range drills and techniques come from Pekiti Tirsia or balintiwak and the basic countering at long and medio ranges are taught in the abecidario drill framework, which I think he primarily learned from Reginio Ilustrisimo (he still uses the Ilustrisimo numbering system for this drill). So you sort of get, what some call, a buffet method with JKD FMA where you are exposed to various ranges of combat whereas a lot of times classical systems focus heavily in just a few areas. This is done to give you a well rounded understanding and then once you've taken interest in a given area, you can concentrate in that area by training in the classical system that focuses on it.

An example of this would be someone who trained in the Inosanto system and then decided they really liked blade work so they sought out training in Sayoc Kali. Or they really like long range stick work so they take up Bahala Na. I think the drills like hubud, sumbrada, abecedario, etc. are so prevalent amongst JKD FMA people is because they have been promoted as THE drills to build a foundation of the reactive attributes needed to be a good fighter. I'm not gonna say this is solely something that JKD guys do though. Many classical FMA's have flow drills similar to or identical to those taught in JKD FMA (I've seen Serrada guys to a drill that looks just like sombrada except its more stylized and they do it with those 25 inch sticks lol). So, that's kind of a long way of saying that the difference in curricula will just depend lol. Classical systems don't always look like this and JKD FMA doesn't always look like that. It will vary depending on instructor. I know that when I teach Inosanto material it is heavily influenced by my experience in Atienza Kali and, to a certain extent, Sayoc Kali. Other instructors will have different influences and will express the art in their own way. And honestly.....right, wrong, or whatever, I think that's the way Guro Dan wants it.

C.J.
9/18/12 1:42 AM
Majic Sam
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paragraphs,bro...but,I will read.Sounds reasonable.

Siciliano,I have known Trevor for near 10 years.
9/18/12 12:09 PM
Siciliano

Been with his crew since February of this year. Small world eh Majic Sam? :)

Trevor's a really swell, low profile guy. Too low profile actually that it's funny many of the new BJJers here in BC don't know him.
9/18/12 12:17 PM
Siciliano

BTW, good reply Calbert.
9/18/12 10:10 PM
jrrrrr

thank you for the replies....great stuff...
9/19/12 2:40 AM
Majic Sam
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trevor and Tim Shears were amongst the first BJJ coaches in Van to recognize the importance of wrestling/takedowns,along with Denis Kang and Stephan Kesting.

Sorry for the hijack...
9/19/12 2:05 PM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

please tell Trevor I said hey. One of the best kept secrets of PFS...I meane that!!!
9/19/12 3:54 PM
Siciliano

JM - Will do. That seminar I held last week was at Trevor's gym. He's doing well and fine. Quite a health nut and it shows. :)

Majic Sam - Hi. What's your real name?
9/19/12 3:56 PM
Siciliano

to the OP,

Sorry if we digressed from the topic. LOL.
9/20/12 3:26 PM
jrrrrr

not a problem dude,
If you have anything to add about the FMA in and out of JKD I'd appreciate it...
9/20/12 10:21 PM
Majic Sam

Siciliano,hello,and my name is Steve the Drummer.Ask Trevor if he wants to host another wrestling seminar with Lhamma Mongol from SFU.
9/24/12 3:26 PM
Siciliano

Cool Majic Sam. Just got back to this thread today. I'll tell Trevor.

jrrrrr,

To be honest with you, I've never done a Hubud or Sumbrada drill before so I really wouldn't know how it goes. That's because the 2 systems I trained in don't focus on this at all - not that it's ineffective but I think Hubud is more for Balintawak system practicioners.

The system I train in is closer to Kenjutsu/Spanish Fencing/Destrezza.
9/24/12 10:46 PM
Majic Sam

Siciliano,Trevor knows several Hubud drills,as he learned most of his Kali from our Uncle Vu.You should ask him about it.A very cool energy/sensitivity drill for both engagment and disengaement.
9/25/12 1:10 PM
Siciliano

Majic Sam,

Will do. Hopefully I'll try to see how it would benefit my game. And pls, be very careful when you mention Hubud, ChiSao, etc in this subforum. There's police everywhere.
9/25/12 9:10 PM
Majic Sam

Energy drills,jumping rope,shadow boxing,stretching,etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.