UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Can you dunk?

9/10/12 10:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Leigh
621 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, flexibility can substitute for power to a degree and vice versa Phone Post
9/10/12 10:11 AM
jeremy hamilton
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5'7.5 Can't dunk. I can actually jump pretty good too. I don't know how everyone else on here can dunk so easily.
9/10/12 12:40 PM
vermonter
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/10/12 12:41 PM
I thought Jeremy was taller than that....

At 6' I can't dunk. Can't really jump for shit, due at least in part because i've never tried much (probably because i always sucked, a vicious circle), and haven't cared since i was a kid.

I can palm a basketball though, which apparently helps.
9/10/12 12:51 PM
jeremy hamilton
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - I thought Jeremy was taller than that....

At 6' I can't dunk. Can't really jump for shit, due at least in part because i've never tried much (probably because i always sucked, a vicious circle), and haven't cared since i was a kid.

You are right, I told a lie and you caught me. I am 5'7.6.
9/10/12 1:38 PM
vermonter
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jeremy hamilton - 
vermonter - I thought Jeremy was taller than that....

You are right, I told a lie and you caught me. I am 5'7.6.

That's better.
9/10/12 3:33 PM
shadallion
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 34, 6"5, 240 and I can dunk it now with a running start, one-handed only.

I played high school ball but never got a dunk in a game.

College and early twenties I got better and dunked in fast breaks. I could do a drop-step and two-hand dunk it too.

One thing I could never do was dunk ON someone. I had to have a completely clear lane to the hoop.

When someone jumps up and contests the shot, it is 1000% more difficult to dunk.

This is what makes Blake Griffin's dunkage so amazing: he gets WHALLOPED and he is so powerful that he just goes right through (or over) it and slams it home.
9/10/12 9:25 PM
m.g
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^^You're right about dunking on someone.

Dunking on someone is a better example of power and explosiveness (along with skill) than dunking on noone.
9/11/12 1:32 PM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty much the only guy in my family who isn't good at jumping naturally. When I was 20 pounds lighter and was still actually doing some sprint/jump training I was able to get my vertical up to about the 27-28" mark but now I'd be lucky to break 24", maybe even less. My brother on the otherhand can still dunk despite being shorter than me (5'11") and nearly 10 years older. Age and knee surgery has taken some of the spring out of his step and I doubt he could dunk in-game any more but back in the day I was always jealous that he could pull off windmills and reverse slams while I struggled to touch the net. Of course since my teenager days I've always been at least 30-50 pounds heavier than him but still I've always been disappointed with my piss-poor jumping ability.
9/13/12 6:32 AM
fuzzislipperz
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can grab the rim two-handed and dunk off of a lob(or timing a rebound perfectly), but never have been able to dunk without catching the ball in the air.

5'11" 190lbs. Phone Post
9/13/12 3:43 PM
Misedukatd
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/12 3:46 PM
probably can't anymore, my knees are pretty shot, but used to. At 6'2", 230, I could tap the ball off the backboard and then two hand reverse off a drop step, or do a two hand reverse off straight vertical. I was pretty good at dunking rebounds, and did it fairly often during pick-up games.
9/30/12 9:39 AM
armbarring
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6' 186 I can dunk.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.