UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> News and updates from Germany's MMA scene

8/28/13 2:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ronwah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do any of you happen to have recommendations for the best news site for German MMA? Ideally it will be available in English, but it's not essential.
I'm basically looking for a site that will cover all German MMA promotions and events etc.

Cheers
8/30/13 5:40 AM
funkjoker
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronwah - Do any of you happen to have recommendations for the best news site for German MMA? Ideally it will be available in English, but it's not essential.
I'm basically looking for a site that will cover all German MMA promotions and events etc.

Cheers

You should definitely check out http://www.groundandpound.de as it is the only German website that covers all aspects of MMA, including the UFC and German MMA promotions. Just use Google translate.

There is no website in English language about German MMA because, frankly, noone cares about German MMA outside of Germany. Hell, even in Germany noone cares about German MMA because it is horrible compared to other European countries like England or Poland.

8/31/13 9:09 AM
Ronwah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

funkjoker - 
Ronwah - Do any of you happen to have recommendations for the best news site for German MMA? Ideally it will be available in English, but it's not essential.

Cheers

You should definitely check out http://www.groundandpound.de as it is the only German website that covers all aspects of MMA, including the UFC and German MMA promotions. Just use Google translate.

There is no website in English language about German MMA because, frankly, noone cares about German MMA outside of Germany. Hell, even in Germany noone cares about German MMA because it is horrible compared to other European countries like England or Poland.

Cheers mate. I had that bookmarked but I think my problem was I was on the English version of the site and that hadn't been in over a year! I'll just use the default and translate as you say.

Cheers
9/5/13 5:22 PM
funkjoker
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On October 6th, a new organization will make its debut in our capital Berlin. One of the promoters is a pretty famous TV actor (played a main role in one of the biggest German soap operas for like eight years or so), so everybody is hoping that he will bring a few celebrities to the event in order to gain mainstream attention.

The fight card is average at best for German standards. Highlight is definitely going to be a four men featherweight tournament. The participants: DEEP and DREAM veteran Takafumi Otsuka, European MMA veteran Olivier Pastor (Cage Warriors, Cage, M-1, Superior Challenge...), local hero Jesse-Bjorn Buckler and Germany's no. 2 featherweight Martin Buschkamp, an undefeated phenom who was very impressive in his Cage Warriors debut in May.
9/6/13 1:28 AM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering that you didn't post that before. :)
I'm curious how this event will be...
Next week I will sit down with the promoter to talk a little bit.
The fight card looks solid...and I'm sure there will be some media attention.

Also he's trying to get that attention away from "backyard fights" and is inviting "families" to the event and it will start at some earlier time at that day. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 1:18 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator just signed one of Germany's most popular fighters Daniel Weichel.
He will fight at the 8 man featherweight tournament. The former M-1 challenge lightweight champion is the German no. 1 in the lw division... Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 2:28 PM
NorthFromHere
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jiu Jitsu doesn't work - Bellator just signed one of Germany's most popular fighters Daniel Weichel.
He will fight at the 8 man featherweight tournament. The former M-1 challenge lightweight champion is the German no. 1 in the lw division... Phone Post 3.0

Weichel is a solid fighter and really experienced with 41 pro fights already. Let's hope he does well and doesn't get screwed by Bellator like many Euros before him
9/13/13 12:30 PM
funkjoker

That's wishful thinking, Bellator will screw him just like they screw the rest of the European fighters. Still a smart move by Daniel Weichel, as the UFC has shown zero interest in him in the past despite him being one of the most experienced German fighters. The German MMA scene is dead (more on that later) and his former home M-1 is almost dead, so Bellator is definitely the right choice.
9/13/13 12:46 PM
touch
1094 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

funkjoker - That's wishful thinking, Bellator will screw him just like they screw the rest of the European fighters. Still a smart move by Daniel Weichel, as the UFC has shown zero interest in him in the past despite him being one of the most experienced German fighters. The German MMA scene is dead (more on that later) and his former home M-1 is almost dead, so Bellator is definitely the right choice.

Why is M-1 almost dead let me ask? Their current LW champion at least is much tougher than Weichel and a very good prospect in general - Musa Khamanaev. He kneebared Weichel in teh 1st.

9/13/13 12:50 PM
funkjoker

Let me explain what happened in Germany in recent weeks.

Respect Fighting Championship always claimed to be Germany's premier MMA event. The fight cards were pretty good for German standards and the drew 2,000 to 3,000 people per event. But they wanted to call it quits after their tenth event in September because of financial reasons. Too much expenses, too little earnings. Considering their status, it seems that they can't act economically. Anyways, now they have a new "concept" with 5-6 pro fights and 1 eight men amateur tournament, the latter meaning lots of fights and little to none expenses.

Superior Fighting Championship was voted Germany's best MMa organization in 2012. The fight cards were always decent, but the promoters were bad businessmen. The venues were empty, like 150 people in a 2,500 seat arena. They canceled their October event in order to make a "creative break", but the truth is they need to collect more money from their (Russian) "business partners".

Kombat Komplett is no. 3 of the "big four". They canceled their tenth event three days before it was supposed to happen because of too many fight cancellations by injured fighters (ten). Is that really the reason OR the fact that they have been losing money with every event?

Let's see if Superior and Kombat Komplett are going to make a comeback in 2014. I highly doubt it, but I will eat my deserved crow if they do.

That leaves us with the German MMA Championship as the only high-quality MMA organization in Germany with a strict focus on 10+ high-profile fights per event.

Considering that 2013 began very strong, this is a sad development. That being said, we still have countrymen fighting for UFC, Bellator, KSW, Cage Warriors, BAMMA and so on...
9/13/13 12:57 PM
funkjoker

touch - 
funkjoker - That's wishful thinking, Bellator will screw him just like they screw the rest of the European fighters. Still a smart move by Daniel Weichel, as the UFC has shown zero interest in him in the past despite him being one of the most experienced German fighters. The German MMA scene is dead (more on that later) and his former home M-1 is almost dead, so Bellator is definitely the right choice.

Why is M-1 almost dead let me ask? Their current LW champion at least is much tougher than Weichel and a very good prospect in general - Musa Khamanaev. He kneebared Weichel in teh 1st.

What has M-1 done since Fedor retired? They only matter in Russia and nowhere else. So what, Weichel got caught by Khamanaev. Weichel put the current Bellator no. 1 contender Magomedrasuk Khasbulaev to sleep in teh 1st, what does that say about the general quality of Bellator? Zero, just like Weichel's loss to Khamanaev says nothing about the general quality of M-1. By the way, the current M-1 light heavyweight champion Sergey Kornev got armbarred by German middleweight journeyman Gregor Herb in teh 1st.
9/13/13 2:09 PM
touch
1094 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

funkjoker - 
touch - 

What has M-1 done since Fedor retired? They only matter in Russia and nowhere else. So what, Weichel got caught by Khamanaev. Weichel put the current Bellator no. 1 contender Magomedrasuk Khasbulaev to sleep in teh 1st, what does that say about the general quality of Bellator? Zero, just like Weichel's loss to Khamanaev says nothing about the general quality of M-1. By the way, the current M-1 light heavyweight champion Sergey Kornev got armbarred by German middleweight journeyman Gregor Herb in teh 1st.

LHW div of M-1 is surely dead, no question about that. So Kornev or whoever is the champ there is not relevant. I would say that MW division is not so good also though MW champ Ramazan Emeev has some decent skills. But heavy weight, WW and all the light weights are legit there. Considering the overall bleakness of HW guys outside of UFC I'd say M-1 HW div is at least as good as Bellator's. They've got some technical strikers and submission artists too. As for the welter and lighter weights, there are just lots of really exciting skillful warriors who put on great shows. But to know this you have to actually watch M-1 shows and move away from the biased attitude towards Fedor, Vadim and stuff.

9/13/13 3:45 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

@funkjoker...what do you think about Roundhouse and the whole concept? And what do you say about the reason they say to cancel Kombat Komplett? (Many many injuries?) Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 4:25 PM
funkjoker

Roundhouse has a very interesting concept. The venue is amazing, the fight card has the right amount of fights in my opinion (who wants to sit 6+ hours in a stuffy gym?) and the "MMA for everyone" approach is great, because right now MMA attracts too many wannabe tough guys and not enough "normal/mainstream" people. Roundhouse make it look like a socially acceptable sporting event with a glamorous touch. Therefore I expect more "normal" people in the audience than at the events in West Germany. But I am anxious to see if they can pull of that concept for a couple events, not just one. Lots of promoters were "one and done" in the past.

I do not want to defame hardworking MMA promoters, but I believe Kombat Komplett did not sell enough tickets and they did not want to lose money so they cancelled their upcoming event. MMA is a money-losing business unless you are the UFC. This is especially true in Germany. You are very lucky if you break even after an event.
9/13/13 4:56 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

Thanks for your five cents!
I'm pretty curious about the Roundhouse series, too! Great card for Germany...not just locals and the same names again and again. Also that they choose to do it more casual than just for the inside fans.
I'm sure due to Raphael (for the US guys, it's a really well known actor in Germany with a strong fan base) there will be many people from media and maybe it's one step into the right direction.

My opinion to KK...sure...you can't find new fighter on that level, for that money in such a short time. But my first thoughts were...no way! You can't tell me that most of the fighters are suddenly injured. I don't buy it. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 5:05 PM
funkjoker

Casual fans do not know the better German MMA fighters anyway, plus I believe that West Germany has a much stronger MMA scene than Berlin. They can sell the fight card pretty easily: Germany's no. 1 heavyweight and US vet vs. a local hero from Berlin. Then a tournament with a local hero from Berlin, a multiple champion from Japan, a guy who was fought all over Europe and a talented newcomer. The undercard is not that good, but they can "wow" the audience with their "international orientation" with fighters from Japan, Brazil, France and Sweden. To the audience it won't matter if they are cans or world-beaters. "Japanese guy vs. Brazilian guy" is much more compelling to "normal" people than "German guy from small town in the South vs. German guy from big town in the North".
9/13/13 5:20 PM
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting thanks funk joker

Surprising because there seem to be a lot of talented young German prospects Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 5:39 PM
funkjoker

There are five or six German prospects who could win one fight in the UFC in a couple of months or years done the road, but their managers are all horrible. Only very few are taking the right steps to achieve their dream of fighting in the UFC. maybe the other just like to fight as some sort of bigger hobby.

The reality is though: Sheila Gaff is by far the best female fighter from Germany and everybody saw how bad she tanked (no pun intended). Pascal Krauss is (in my humble opinion) the second-best German fighter and he is 2-2 in the UFC. The non-UFC fighters are worse (right now, they can improve over time), so you can picture what would happen if they got the call to fight in the UFC. Many think they are ready for the UFC, but the truth is: they are not. It is like with Peter Sobotta back in 2009. Very talented fighter, terrific grappler - but he just was not ready for UFC competition. And so is the rest of my countrymen.
9/14/13 3:16 PM
funkjoker

Finally something positive from Germany! Rany Saadeh, a 20 year old flyweight from our capital Berlin, won his BAMMA debut. At BAMMA 13 in Birmingham, England he destroyed Englishman Dan Missin and then finished him with a knee in the second round.

Rany is handled by a decent management from the UK and it shows. Great choice trying to build his career in the UK instead of Germany. Hopefully more good things will come from this kid. Btw, his only loss came to undefeated Pietro Menga, ranked no. 3 in the UK and soon-to-be UFC fighter I think.
9/14/13 4:25 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

In your opinion funkjoker...and I really think you're one of the few persons who know about the German MMA scene...

Who are the five or six guys with the most potential in Germany? Phone Post 3.0
9/14/13 5:13 PM
funkjoker

If you look at what they have done so far and if they surround themselves with the right people, I think these three fighters could win a few fights on an international stage: Jonas Billstein, Ruben Crawford and the new and improved Peter Sobotta (he got signed by the UFC way too early). If the UFC would sign them for the Germany comeback in 2014, they all would handle themselves well in the Octagon. I would add Daniel Weichel to the list, but he is Bellator-bound since this month.

Martin Buschkamp and Rany Saadeh are the biggest talents under 23, but they still have lots of growing to do. Both will be in the UFC within the next three years though. I bet my house that at least one of them will make it.

Those are my top six regarding potential.

Then there are fighters like Nicolas Penzer, Vladimir Sikic, Michael Erdinc, Abus Magomedov, Stephan Putz and Max Coga, who do have good-looking records, but I am not sure what to think of them until they face tougher opponents on a more consistent basis. They are talented but they need to test themselves more.
9/14/13 5:16 PM
funkjoker

Edited: 09/14/13 5:17 PM
I completely forgot former BAMMA featherweight champion Alan Omer. He was supposed to be on TUF 14 but had to have surgery before the TV tapings. Omer has not fought since December 2011 because of injuries. I am afraid he may have quietly retired. If he is healthy, I would take him over Conor McGregor any day of the week and twice on UFC saturdays.
9/14/13 5:21 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

Thank you very much for your opinion!
Really good read...and I'm curious about who will get on the boat when the UFC will return to Germany...

You're absolutely right with your choices... Phone Post 3.0
9/14/13 5:26 PM
funkjoker

Would you add any other fighters to the list? Some people are very high on Abu Azaitar, but I think he is an overrated can crusher, similar to Benjamin Brinsa. Plus, he does have an extensive criminal background as well as connections to radical Islamists. If the UFC somehow chose to sign him, the backlash would be as big as with Brinsa.
9/14/13 5:33 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

Abu Azaitar was also on my list...he's very high rated at MMA Spirit in Frankfurt.
But...as you mentioned...I don't think the UFC could sign him.

Vladimir Sikic was living at my house for a few weeks and I always told my wife that he will get on a big stage the next years. I can't wait to see him doing against dangerous opponents.

But I think that's what's left in Germany at the moment.
And to be honest, I don't think there's an unknown talent right now hiding in a gym.

So...no...I don't think you forgot any names...Andreas Kraniotakes, I really like him...but I think there will be no more big improvement...I think he reached his limit. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.