UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> News and updates from Germany's MMA scene

9/14/13 5:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
funkjoker
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/14/13 5:17 PM
I completely forgot former BAMMA featherweight champion Alan Omer. He was supposed to be on TUF 14 but had to have surgery before the TV tapings. Omer has not fought since December 2011 because of injuries. I am afraid he may have quietly retired. If he is healthy, I would take him over Conor McGregor any day of the week and twice on UFC saturdays.
9/14/13 5:21 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you very much for your opinion!
Really good read...and I'm curious about who will get on the boat when the UFC will return to Germany...

You're absolutely right with your choices... Phone Post 3.0
9/14/13 5:26 PM
funkjoker
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would you add any other fighters to the list? Some people are very high on Abu Azaitar, but I think he is an overrated can crusher, similar to Benjamin Brinsa. Plus, he does have an extensive criminal background as well as connections to radical Islamists. If the UFC somehow chose to sign him, the backlash would be as big as with Brinsa.
9/14/13 5:33 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Abu Azaitar was also on my list...he's very high rated at MMA Spirit in Frankfurt.
But...as you mentioned...I don't think the UFC could sign him.

Vladimir Sikic was living at my house for a few weeks and I always told my wife that he will get on a big stage the next years. I can't wait to see him doing against dangerous opponents.

But I think that's what's left in Germany at the moment.
And to be honest, I don't think there's an unknown talent right now hiding in a gym.

So...no...I don't think you forgot any names...Andreas Kraniotakes, I really like him...but I think there will be no more big improvement...I think he reached his limit. Phone Post 3.0
9/14/13 5:52 PM
funkjoker

Regarding Sikic, I have to admit I was angry when I read that Respect FC is giving him a 4-0 nobody from Belgium for their tenth event. He deserves a bigger/better opponent. My current German dream fight would be Sikic vs. Crawford (maybe too early for him?), winner gets a UFC contract for the comeback in 2014. I read that the UFC is targeting Berlin for that event. As you know Sikic is from Berlin, it would be a good fit. He should fight and win at one of the bigger shows in Europe, maybe KSW or Cage Warriors in December/January. That is all he would need in order to get signed for the UFC comeback, if it will happen in Berlin. UFC loves hometown heros.

Regarding Kraniotakes, he is a tremendous ambassador for MMA in Germany. If he would have beaten Sylvia or Rodriguez, the UFC would have signed him for sure. But his biggest win is still Nandor Guelmino (after Guelmino gassed horribly). Plus, he fights slow and sloppy. UFC already has one Nikita Krylov and Soa Palelei.
9/15/13 2:28 AM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

Would be great if Sikic could fight at one or two events outside of Germany.
The question is...is his manager having an eye on this idea?

I would love to see him on an international stage...even if I think that 2014 could be too early for him and the UFC...

Sikic vs Crawford would be a great matchup and the only one that makes sense! Sikic always asked for Cengiz Dana...but I think Cengiz is past his prime and would be no strong opponent for Sikic...so yes...Crawford or international event. Don't waste time. Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 4:45 AM
funkjoker

The thing is, the guy is still very young and has zero losses in his record. Fighting in a bigger organization is a risk that is worth taking at this point of his career. Let's say he loses at Cage Warriors... so what, he would still be only like 10-1-1 and have his whole career ahead of him. But if he wins, all kinds of doors will be open. UFC will still be there in 2015 and 2016, they are going nowhere. You do not need a perfect record, you need to beat some international opponents on an international stage. Look at Pascal Krauss, the Cage Warriors welterweight title was his big breakthrough. And looking at the upcoming Cage Warriors lightweight title tournament, I think Sikic (and Crawford) would have done very well against those participants, for example.

I agree, Cengiz Dana is popular and a seasoned veteran, but a win over him would mean nothing for Sikic or any other up-and-coming fighter.
9/15/13 6:48 AM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

That´s it! You DON´T need a perfect record! But that´s still a disease in many of the managers minds. I´m sure, many of those named fighters would love to fight in international events against tougher opponents.

But...it´s in the hands of their manager. And talking about manager. The one to be named ist Niels Schlaegel (MMA Spirit)...will he take enough care of talents like Sikic, Puetz or Coga? Or is it necessary to go a different way?

9/16/13 2:58 PM
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

funkjoker - If you look at what they have done so far and if they surround themselves with the right people, I think these three fighters could win a few fights on an international stage: Jonas Billstein, Ruben Crawford and the new and improved Peter Sobotta (he got signed by the UFC way too early). If the UFC would sign them for the Germany comeback in 2014, they all would handle themselves well in the Octagon. I would add Daniel Weichel to the list, but he is Bellator-bound since this month.

Martin Buschkamp and Rany Saadeh are the biggest talents under 23, but they still have lots of growing to do. Both will be in the UFC within the next three years though. I bet my house that at least one of them will make it.

Those are my top six regarding potential.

Then there are fighters like Nicolas Penzer, Vladimir Sikic, Michael Erdinc, Abus Magomedov, Stephan Putz and Max Coga, who do have good-looking records, but I am not sure what to think of them until they face tougher opponents on a more consistent basis. They are talented but they need to test themselves more.

wow, i must say im sort of impressed that my list is so close to yours Funkjoker, especially  when considering that Im making these lists for 50 other countries as well.  Trying to follow mma in so many different countries can be a very daunting task , as you probably imagine.

heres the list Ive been keeping on germany

Rany saadeh.   fly. 4-1. QL 20 yrs
Martin buschkamp.  Fw.  8-0.  22 yrs.
Max coga. Fw.  7-1   5S  24yrs
Shtegu vrajolli.    Fw.  2-0. 1-0  19 yrs
Ruben Crawford   Lw.  13-2  5S  24yrs
Konstatin Goette.  Lw.  11-0.  20 yrs
Vladimir sikic.  Lw 9-0.2-0  23 yrs
Michal erdinc.  WW  6-0  26yrs
Max miller.  Mw 2-0. 2-0  20yrs
Jonas Billstein  Lhw  11-3   22yr
Stephan puetZ.  Lhw.  8-0  26yr
Tassilo Lahr  Lhw  4-0. 3-1  19yrs

I removed Brinsa a few weeks ago and just  removed Abu because of what you said about his past, always unfortunate to hear.

Would you add Konstatin Goette to the list of talented youngsters?

Do you follow MMA in other European countries or is it pretty much just Germany and UFC/Bellator

9/18/13 2:12 PM
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 4:26 PM
funkjoker

Jiu Jitsu doesn't work - 

That´s it! You DON´T need a perfect record! But that´s still a disease in many of the managers minds. I´m sure, many of those named fighters would love to fight in international events against tougher opponents.

But...it´s in the hands of their manager. And talking about manager. The one to be named ist Niels Schlaegel (MMA Spirit)...will he take enough care of talents like Sikic, Puetz or Coga? Or is it necessary to go a different way?

I don't know any of the German "managers" personally, but I do know that Sobotta, Krauss, Rocha and Gaff all had the same management when they got signed by the UFC. So that seems to be a good way to come into the UFC. Krauss and Rocha were undefeated when they got signed, Brinsa was undefeated when he got signed. So maybe having a perfect record is indeed a good argument for your fighter? On the other hand, Krauss was the current Cage Warriors world welterweight champion when he got signed. I guess it depends heavily on the fighter and, much more important, on the circumstances.
9/26/13 4:31 PM
funkjoker

DamnSevern - 
funkjoker - If you look at what they have done so far and if they surround themselves with the right people, I think these three fighters could win a few fights on an international stage: Jonas Billstein, Ruben Crawford and the new and improved Peter Sobotta (he got signed by the UFC way too early). If the UFC would sign them for the Germany comeback in 2014, they all would handle themselves well in the Octagon. I would add Daniel Weichel to the list, but he is Bellator-bound since this month.

Martin Buschkamp and Rany Saadeh are the biggest talents under 23, but they still have lots of growing to do. Both will be in the UFC within the next three years though. I bet my house that at least one of them will make it.

Those are my top six regarding potential.

Then there are fighters like Nicolas Penzer, Vladimir Sikic, Michael Erdinc, Abus Magomedov, Stephan Putz and Max Coga, who do have good-looking records, but I am not sure what to think of them until they face tougher opponents on a more consistent basis. They are talented but they need to test themselves more.

wow, i must say im sort of impressed that my list is so close to yours Funkjoker, especially  when considering that Im making these lists for 50 other countries as well.  Trying to follow mma in so many different countries can be a very daunting task , as you probably imagine.

heres the list Ive been keeping on germany

Rany saadeh.   fly. 4-1. QL 20 yrs
Martin buschkamp.  Fw.  8-0.  22 yrs.
Max coga. Fw.  7-1   5S  24yrs
Shtegu vrajolli.    Fw.  2-0. 1-0  19 yrs
Ruben Crawford   Lw.  13-2  5S  24yrs
Konstatin Goette.  Lw.  11-0.  20 yrs
Vladimir sikic.  Lw 9-0.2-0  23 yrs
Michal erdinc.  WW  6-0  26yrs
Max miller.  Mw 2-0. 2-0  20yrs
Jonas Billstein  Lhw  11-3   22yr
Stephan puetZ.  Lhw.  8-0  26yr
Tassilo Lahr  Lhw  4-0. 3-1  19yrs

I removed Brinsa a few weeks ago and just  removed Abu because of what you said about his past, always unfortunate to hear.

Would you add Konstatin Goette to the list of talented youngsters?

Do you follow MMA in other European countries or is it pretty much just Germany and UFC/Bellator

This is a very good list, maybe too many fighters from Peter Sobotta's camp? Miller and Vrajolli are unproven, I would replace them with Alexandros Michailidis (4-0), ranked seventh in Germany. Konstantin Goette lost a lay & peay decision back in May, but the results aren't on Sherdog yet. After Martin Buschkamp, he is the talented Planet Eater though.

I follow MMA in every country, USA, Germany, UK, Singapore, Russia, Scandinavia, South Africa, Brazil...
9/26/13 4:38 PM
funkjoker

An embarassing event in Denmark is over and Germany has gone 0-3 in the process: European MMA 6 in Copenhagen. Andreas Kraniotakes, heavyweight champion of Germany's best MMA organization, got his ass whooped by Christian Colombo. That guy was last seen beating the hell out of Bjorn Schmiedeberg, a guy who Kraniotakes went 0-1-1 against. No more UFC for him.

Ruben Crawford, whom I've described as "could win a few fights on an international stage", got knocked out cold by Ayub Tashkilot in the first round. He's supposed to be a good technical striker and fought a small wrestler. The result: the wrestler outstruck him.

Philipp Henze, a known poseur, got absolutely destroyed by Danish wrestling Olympian Mark Madsen.

Horrible event for Germany!
9/26/13 8:14 PM
DamnSevern

Sorry to hear about be EMMA losses, though none of those were easy matchup a imo, especially that beast wrestler

A bunch of good prospects fighting at RFC 10 though Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 6:52 PM
funkjoker

BJJ and Judo black belt Gregor Herb, Germany's second-best middleweight and busiest globetrotter, is slated to face former UFC fighter Andrei Semenov at M-1 Challenge 42 in St. Petersburg, Russia. Great matchup, many consider Semenov to be a legend in European MMA. The guy has been fighting since 1998!
9/28/13 7:02 PM
funkjoker

Respect FC 10 is over and here are my two cents as there were many German prospects on the card.

Most impressive was Nick Hein, an under-23 European champion in Judo. After destroying Musa Jangubaev, he is now 9-1-1! He's been an absolute monster since changing training camps.

Also impressive was BJJ brown belt Nicolas Penzer, a former Respect FC middleweight champion. In a four men tournament to crown the new middleweight title contender, he defeated the first opponent in 58 seconds with an arm triangle choke and the second opponent in 28 seconds with a head kick knockout.

Vladimir Sikic did what he had to do against a completely outclassed can in Uriel Albamonte. Please, someone get him a real opponent for once!

Nothing new from Respect FC light heavyweight champ Stephan Putz and Respect FC featherweight champ Max Coga. Putz fought a beefed up lightweight (5'9'' light heavyweights are so 1999), Coga fought a guy who could easily make 125 lbs. Putz layed & prayed and his grossly undersized opponent Tassilo Lahr was so gassed that he gave up in his corner after round three. Putz might be the most boring champion of any German MMA organization.

Respect FC welterweight champion Djamil Chan, Belgium's Paul Daley, destroyed previously undefeated Michael Erdinc to retain his title.

tl;dr

Hein, Penzer, Chan were super impressive, Putz put the audience to sleep and Sikic and Coga need to man up and fight better opponents instead of hand-picked cans who have nothing more than a good-looking record built by fighting even worse cans.
9/29/13 6:39 AM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

So right now...after Crawford got KTFO...and Pütz, Coga and Sikic won against cans...

What would be the only fights that make sense?
No matter if they are German fighters or maybe guys from the UK for example.

What do you think funkjoker? Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 7:06 AM
funkjoker

Putz needs to be a man and fight Jonas Billstein if he wants to get taken seriously. Billstein challenged him publicly but Pütz (or his manager?) ducked him and fought an inexperienced midget instead. No matter how good-looking his record might be, it is padded and if he wants to be the no. 1 in Germany he has to fight Billstein. It's either that or fight abroad. Plus, he needs to fight more excitingly and show some technique, not just making his opponents tired because of his huge physique.

Coga and Sikic need to stop fighting cans that have been hand-picked by their manager and they need to fight in another organization than Respect FC because Respect FC allows their manager to hand-pick their opponents instead of giving them tough opponents so they can test themselves.

Look at Crawford and Kraniotakes, they fight everybody. Crawford knew it was risky to fight Tashkilot and he took the risk, same with Kraniotakes. You can say what you want about them but they don't choose their opponents.

The biggest fight you can make right now in Germany is Crawford vs Sikic. Both fought in the last few days so they would have the same time to prepare. Crawford lost in Denmark but he is still the best lightweight in Germany.

And Coga should either fight Martin Buschkamp or the former Respect FC featherweight champion Ben Boekee (13-1) for his comeback fight.
9/29/13 7:25 AM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

Nice! Thanks FJ!
Billstein would be a great matchup for Pütz!
I'm curious if this fight will happen and how Pütz will look agains a physical strong Billstein. Pütz's manager is looking to keep the record clean and smooth...

Sikic was asking a few times for Cengiz Dana...but I'm sure this would proof nothing.

The manager is the one to blame...I'm sure he will not let them fight against stronger guys the next year... Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 7:32 AM
funkjoker

Yes, I agree, most of the time it's the management, not the fighter. Maybe a little bit of public pressure will get them to change their minds. When fans and the media want certain fights to happen, then they are going to happen sooner or later. They just have to voice their opinions and wishes. When enough people scream for a fight, the fight will be made. If you know Sikic, tell him to tell his manager to stop padding his record so he can test himself against good opponents which I'm sure he wants to do. Sikic has to speak up, his management is making him look bad when they only give him easy opponents. I'm sure he wants to prove what a great fighter he is and after Denmark, I'm not so sure that Crawford should stand with him, he needs to take him to the ground.
9/29/13 8:57 AM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

Vlado Sikic will give me a visit on his trip back to Berlin next week.
So I need to talk to him like father and son. ;)
Sikic absolutely wants to fight stronger guys. He was saying so many times, that he's not so fine with the choices and stuff his management does.

So maybe it's time...

He told me his fight yesterday was pretty tough and not too easy...so I'm curious how he will do against a good contender.

Regarding Crawford...I think there's somebody that doesn't want this fight to happen...don't know who.

Sure it's great what Team MMA Spirit built...but now they have to proof themselves. The team is getting boring, if they're just too perfect with their records.

They are hiding their fighters... Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 9:10 AM
DamnSevern

thanks for the update funk

10/4/13 1:33 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

Bad news for the upcoming event in Berlin that started so great!

Roundhouse MMA built up an awesome fightcard including a main event with Andreas Kraniotakes and a 4-Man-Tournament...

But everything turned and one guy dropped off the list after another...one by one...

Kraniotakes lost a few days before and now told the matchmaker that he can´t fight...on the tournament are also new names and now no german fighters on the tournament...which is not bad, but I guess no casual fan will be interested in japanese or swedish fighters without a local hero.

The only interesting name that stepped up to help the organization is Wesley Howard...but not THAT great name to save the night...I´m curious how they will put up a great show to satisfy the audience.

I have talked to the organization and the really struggle...paying more money that they will ever earn this evening...and they are damn nervous because of the fightcard that absolutely turned around 180 degrees.

10/4/13 4:47 PM
funkjoker

No Kraniotakes, no Zawada, no Buschkamp... three German Top Ten fighters gone. That is indeed terrible. But regarding Kraniotakes, it is the matchmaker's fault. Everybody knew he was fighting in Denmark on September, 26. Maybe Kraniotakes was so arrogant to think he would submit Colombo in two minutes like he did with Dritan Barjamaj. As a matchmaker, you should not sign and promote a guy who has a tough fight lined up ten days before your event.

The 6th Fight Night Merseburg should be interesting. Konstantin Gotte is going to make his comeback. Also on the fight card are undefeated Polish phenom Lukasz Sajewski and local hero Hendrik Oschmann.
10/5/13 5:48 PM
Jiu Jitsu doesn't work

As the end of the year is getting closer...who are your german fighters and newcomer of this year?

Will you be at Roundhouse tomorrow funkjoker? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.