UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Learn me on mame arcades.

9/9/12 2:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sewich
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking to build a cocktail table styled mame arcade for my living room .Want to focus on nes, super nes and classic arcade games.

What are the best resources for this project and any idea on total cost for a DIY project. Going with a LCD monitor not crt. Phone Post
9/11/12 12:42 PM
Matt "Meals on Wheels" Hitman
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/11/12 12:58 PM
 I have made four uprights, but never a cocktail.  Your best bet is to use melamine for the construction.  If you are only going classic MAME through SNES, I would use a desktop PC with around a single core 1.6GHz and 2GB RAM, that way you won't get any stuttering while it loads.  I use Maximus Arcade on all of my machines for the frontend.  They want $25 for it, but if you decide to go that route I can get you it for free.  It loads up before windows, so when the machine is complete you would never know it's just a basic PC running it.

Controller wise is all up to you.  What did you have in mind?  I can work you through it.  My total price for mine are roughly $500 with parts, paint, TV, and the control panel.

9/12/12 6:00 PM
sewich
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. For the controllers I was thinking a 6 button and 8 way joystick(is is worth getting the joysticks that can switch between 8 and 4 way or is it fine to use the 8 ways with all the games?). Probably have a trackball on player 1 side since I dont think there are any 2 player games that utilize them.
Did you use crt monitors or LCD? I was leaning toward LCD because well I have heard many stories of people getting zapped by the capacitors on crts and the amount of space they take up. The cab design I found utilizing a LCD allows for a open space under the cab so you can sit at it like a normal table. But the classic look of the games on a crt is making me want to go that route. Ah the desicions.
Is that software you mentioned all you need or is there other programs I will need?

Do you have any good sites to purchase parts/software from? I am having a hell of a time finding standard definition monitors(19"). Phone Post
9/12/12 6:05 PM
sewich

Also did you just use computer speakers for sound? I was just going to mount my sub in the bottom of the cab and then take apart the satilites and mount them to the each side behind some speak cloth.

Also do you have a good place you can buy the skins of classic games to cover the outside of the cabinets? Phone Post
9/12/12 7:51 PM
wooderson76
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
9/12/12 9:07 PM
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/12 10:59 PM
Only got a minute, but here are tge speakers I have used in all my cabs. I tested dozens and these are by far the best, especially for being under $50.  I unscrew the mounts and use double sided mounting tape to hold them in place.  Haven't had any issues.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027VT6V4?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I will address your other questions when I get a chance, maybe throw up a few pics of my personal cab. Sorry to run off like a bitch. 
9/12/12 11:07 PM

For the controller I use an octogon gate no matter what.  I hate square gates.  For a monitor, I have had good luck with the Ultrasharp line from Dell, and have used this specific 19" model in the past:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Ultrasharp-1908FPb-19-LCD-Monitor-Black-Silver-/271057346473?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3f1c46dfa9

People frown upon LCD due to lack of scan lines, but you can always add them in using MAME if you really want them.  I have been zapped by a CRT during deconstruction of cabs when I have refurbished, hurts like a bitch.

The melamine and plexi you will need can be easily purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.  For arcade parts, I ususally use:

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/13-mame-arcade-parts
http://twistedquarter.com/
http://www.focusattack.com/brands/Paradise-Arcade.html

Prices can vary between the three, so its best to check up on each before purchasing.

I use these guys for decals and marquees:

http://www.phoenixarcade.com/art.htm

PM Me about the software.  I can make it real easy for you to get set up.

9/18/12 1:41 PM

Hows it coming?
9/18/12 2:53 PM
UGCTT_NKTKDace
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have wanted my own upright "karate champ" game forever. I could really have someone just build one?? Phone Post
9/18/12 2:58 PM

Edited: 09/18/12 2:59 PM
UGCTT_NKTKDace -  I have wanted my own upright "karate champ" game forever. I could really have someone just build one?? Phone Post

My upright has over 6,000 games on it, as well as a PS3 hooked up to it too.  Companies will charge you $3,000+ for it, but you can easily do your own for about $600.  Search Craigslist for empty cabs to refurbish, some are given away for free.  $50 in paint and wood filler and you are pretty much set.  You can buy pre-made control panels that make it as simple as connecting a USB cable.  If you want it specifically for Karate Champ, that can easily be done.  But if you are gonna go, go all out.

9/18/12 5:00 PM
UGCTT_NKTKDace
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt "Meals on Wheels" Hitman -
UGCTT_NKTKDace -  I have wanted my own upright "karate champ" game forever. I could really have someone just build one?? Phone Post

My upright has over 6,000 games on it, as well as a PS3 hooked up to it too.  Companies will charge you $3,000+ for it, but you can easily do your own for about $600.  Search Craigslist for empty cabs to refurbish, some are given away for free.  $50 in paint and wood filler and you are pretty much set.  You can buy pre-made control panels that make it as simple as connecting a USB cable.  If you want it specifically for Karate Champ, that can easily be done.  But if you are gonna go, go all out.

Man you just got me excited no homo

Or maybe a little lol Phone Post
9/18/12 5:18 PM

UGCTT_NKTKDace - 

Man you just got me excited no homo

Or maybe a little lol Phone Post

I got a chubby when I first started building mine, I am not afraid to admit it.  All I wanted was Killer Instinct, but then I realized it could be nearly every game created in one machine.  It is fucking awesome.

If you need any help PM Me, post here whatever is more convenient.  I am working on #5 in my garage right now.  I love this shit.

9/18/12 5:19 PM

Edited: 09/18/12 5:25 PM
 This is what the arcade menus will look like if you use the frontend I suggested.  You can alter sounds, images, etc. It can be a pain getting it set up, but once you are done it is awesome.  This isn't my video, but it's the best I could find without doing my own.
9/21/12 7:35 AM
KingOfFighters
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

about 2 years ago i bought a super street fighter 2 turbo arcade............6 months later i hire some guy to repair the monitor....as it had some sort of weird squiggly line on the left side of the screen. This asshole takes some motherboard looking thing from my monitor, and i never hear or see from this guy again.

How do I get my arcade working again? and how much would it cost to fix the monitor, or replace the screen?
9/21/12 10:58 AM
ItsTheFlash
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subs for future research Phone Post
9/22/12 12:00 AM
sewich

This is what the arcade menus will look like if you use the frontend I suggested.  You can alter sounds, images, etc. It can be a pain getting it set up, but once you are done it is awesome.  This isn't my video, but it's the best I could find without doing my own.
Thanks.for all the info.
Does this front end thing come with all the games or do you have to dl them separately?

I think I'm leaning more toward buying a older stand up machine to gut instead of building a sit down cab. What will I have to do to connect the game monitor to the computer to get video? Phone Post
9/22/12 1:14 AM

If you are using the original arcade monitor you will need a J-PAC. Really easy to hook up. The front end doesn't include all the games, however I may or may not have 6,000 games backed up on a portable hard drive that can be easily ripped to a couple of DVDs for interested parties.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.