UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Irredeemable, spoiler alert

9/10/12 10:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigWilliam
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got the final collected a week or so back, maybe two now I cannot remember. Waid crushed it with this entire series and the finale was amazing.

The was the craziest twist on an origin story, great, layered characters, complex motivations and interactions. Irredeemable for me is one of the all time great works of the comic medium.
9/10/12 4:22 PM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I need to finish it, I fell out about halfway through.
9/10/12 4:28 PM
BigWilliam
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It just keeps getting better Charles, it is at the top of my suggested reading list for people now.
9/11/12 3:47 AM
MarkRobinson
1139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive read the series 3 times now. 

I thought so much of it was absolutely great. The ending made me feel pretty good.  
9/11/12 9:08 AM
Zenoplata
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll have to check this series out. Which company is it and do we have any issues up on here yet?

On a side note, finally got you in the green BW haha.
9/11/12 9:14 AM
MarkRobinson
1139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's published by BOOM!

No issues on the GG iirc.
9/11/12 9:15 AM
paw
1352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata -  I'll have to check this series out. Which company is it and do we have any issues up on here yet?

On a side note, finally got you in the green BW haha.

BOOM!  Studios

I don't think we have any issues up....yet.

9/11/12 9:36 AM
BigWilliam

Boom is correct and it's gathered all in collecteds for easy purchase.

Hey I am green, something tells me I have my geek ground brethren to thank for it.
9/11/12 7:36 PM
Kneeblock
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/11/12 7:53 PM
None So Blind
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CharlesLewis -  I need to finish it, I fell out about halfway through.

Easy to understand - the series starts off GREAT, then it gets weird in the middle and starts to get off track (rather badly, IMHO), but it gets back on track with a vengeance toward the end.
9/11/12 11:50 PM
The Elastic Assassin
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you liked the ending?.....really?..
9/11/12 11:51 PM
The Elastic Assassin
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you liked the ending?.....really?..
9/12/12 1:31 AM
MarkRobinson

Edited: 09/12/12 1:35 AM
I thought the ending rounded the story out pretty well. 
Spoilers:

I honestly couldnt invest any weight into my thoughts about how it would end. I figured it could go either way. Waid did a great job suggesting the possibility of the Plutonian redeeming himself but he also made the Plutonians dialog & actions make him seem far too distant from ever being good again. After all that had been done, what could possibly be done to redeem the Plutonian? Well he did basically save everyone. Perhaps for his own selfish reasons but when he died, the ideal manifestation of the plutonian went on to become the impossibly pure-hearted Superman. Which we had all been using as the measuring stick anyways. 

I never saw the plutonian as evil or a bad guy, just damaged. I was empathetic to his struggle and was always hoping he would somehow turn it all around. In the end, he did or at least his essence was redeemed. I thought it was pretty poetic and great punctuation for the series. 

I think it stands alone as a great story but also gives a different perspective on some of the superhero character archetypes weve read for years. Somehow it enhanced the Superman lore for me. I love the explanation of the Plutonian's powers.  

What didnt you like about the ending? The eden seed thing was kinda weak but it didnt distract much imo. 

./    
9/12/12 10:47 AM
BigWilliam

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

Yeah I liked the ending. I thought it was a very clever use of the fact that the Plutonian is basically an idea, a golem as Qbit said. Having him become the idea of Superman was ironic and brilliant since the original idea for book is about what would happen is Superman was not mentally stable.

I did figure that somehow the redemption Qbit was offering was the chance to save the Earth. I thought it would be somehow the Plutonian would use his abilities to make everything to what it was at the cost of his own life. Waid's idea was a thousand times better than that.
9/12/12 7:10 PM
The Elastic Assassin

...he could have killed him with the same technique in issue 3.....
9/17/12 7:43 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can someone bump that(I'm guessing it's posted on here) ?
9/17/12 8:15 PM
MarkRobinson

Its not posted on the GG.
9/17/12 8:27 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dammit aight. Thanks!
9/17/12 8:30 PM
The Elastic Assassin

MarkRobinson - Its not posted on the GG.

you can find it in the comic DL thread....
10/25/12 12:16 PM
Bigjon29
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm just finished reading this and overall I really enjoyed it.Thought it went a bit off the rails around issue 20 what with the weird shit going on but managed to pull it back at the end even though I found it quite heavy at times,story wise but overall a good read.

Love the idea that a superhero gets fed up of humans being ungrateful and expecting too much

Another fine recommendation from the GG
10/25/12 8:39 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

comic dl thread?

bump pls!
10/26/12 8:37 AM
Bigjon29
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/26/12 8:38 AM
<blockquote>NeoSpartan - comic dl thread?<br /><br />bump pls!</blockquote>

There you go dude

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=170&thread=1945867&page=10
10/26/12 9:28 AM
Bigjon29

Hmm sorry if that links not working it doesn't seem to be though
10/26/12 12:52 PM
Bigjon29

lol never mind the link i posted is right,im seriously losing the plot at the moment need a holiday big time

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.