UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Ab strain from broad jumps

9/10/12 4:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reaper51
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey fellas I was wondering if you could help me out and tell me what I may be doing wrong.

I've been on a 16 week periodized program and recently got into the power phase. I'm in pretty good shape, 30 years old, 6'1" and 220 pounds if that's relevant.

Today was a plyometrics workout. I did a good 15 minute dynamic warm up and began. The first exercise was stair jumps which I did no problem. Then depth jumps, again no problem.

The next exercise was broad jumps. I went to do the first one and felt an immediate almost tearing pain in my lower left abdominal quadrant, I was able to finish the rest of the routine that involved vertical jumps, but every time I tried a broad jump same result. This has happened twice now. It seemed fine after 2 days rest, but happened again. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Phone Post
9/10/12 10:39 PM
grapplingwithzen

My thoughts are to avoid broad jumps in future !! Seriously though are you trying to jump as far as possible, or just jump say 4 feet?

Actually I was training using broad jumps a while back and felt a sharp pain in my knee, each time I tried to do them, say problem. In the end I just said stuff it, and stopped doing broad jumps.

If you do keep doing them, I recommend just taking it easy on that part of the workout and limiting the distance you try to jump.

Do you feel the pain in any other part of your workout?
9/11/12 12:51 AM
reaper51

Thanks for taking the time to post. No man I only feel it in my lower left abdominal area. It already feels better tonight and I just got done with an hour and a half of pickup hockey. No idea why it's only showing up on the broad jump. Phone Post
9/11/12 3:11 AM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had this when I was learning to do back flips. It was because I was explosively stretching my midsection. It stopped after a couple of days.

Are you doing a powerful triple extension on your jumps that could be stretching your abs? Phone Post
9/11/12 6:47 AM
LiftStrong
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much of your dynamic warmup focused on hip flexors?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.