UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Interested in getting nutritionist/dietician cert.

9/11/12 1:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sequoyah Sandford
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any suggestions? I am interested in getting certified but know little about costs, and the process. Phone Post
9/11/12 8:19 AM
shortyjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

google is your friend.
9/11/12 10:39 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

google is indeed your friend but I'll help you out...

what are you looking to do? what is your background? do you have personal experience with nutrition like being a former fatty? etc these things are important to know.

9/11/12 10:43 AM
Sequoyah Sandford
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I am fighter and actually I used to be an unathletic skinny bastard. But now due to my lifestyle nutrition and diet are essential. People always ask me how to diet and what foods to eat so it only makes sense to me to expand on that and get a cert. Or something. My local college doesnt offer any courses.

I did google btw but i like the direct responses of this forum. Phone Post
9/11/12 11:23 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/11/12 11:24 AM
 most colleges don't have a nutrition proach. some have dietitian courses like for RDs however they don't really know much TBH. They essentially go by the USDA Food Pyramid that has consistantly failed us and for the most part they simply look at macros, not at the quality of the food whatsoever. 

some unis and colleges have MS programs in nutrition and here you can get a GREAT science base for nutrition but still be missing several new concepts, organic foods, supplementation, different approaches (vegan, paleo, twinkie diets, what have you). I think that there are some great programs online like IIN, Metabolic Effect, Precision Nutrition I think is gearing up to offer one. Also, I believe some of the strength and conditioning/ personal training certification bodies offer Sports Nutrition as well.

I work with both athletes and Average Joe's and most of them are referrals because I used to be a fat mofo and got into good shape and vibrant health, I've gotten my dad's cholesterol under 200 after years of him being over 300 and also on statin drugs, my mom lost about 30 pounds of late as well so my experience and work speaks for itself. I don't have much time to practice as I do in the summer since I am in my last semester of my BS in Bio. 
9/11/12 11:48 AM
Sequoyah Sandford

ArthurKnoqOut -  most colleges don't have a nutrition proach. some have dietitian courses like for RDs however they don't really know much TBH. They essentially go by the USDA Food Pyramid that has consistantly failed us and for the most part they simply look at macros, not at the quality of the food whatsoever. 

some unis and colleges have MS programs in nutrition and here you can get a GREAT science base for nutrition but still be missing several new concepts, organic foods, supplementation, different approaches (vegan, paleo, twinkie diets, what have you). I think that there are some great programs online like IIN, Metabolic Effect, Precision Nutrition I think is gearing up to offer one. Also, I believe some of the strength and conditioning/ personal training certification bodies offer Sports Nutrition as well.

I work with both athletes and Average Joe's and most of them are referrals because I used to be a fat mofo and got into good shape and vibrant health, I've gotten my dad's cholesterol under 200 after years of him being over 300 and also on statin drugs, my mom lost about 30 pounds of late as well so my experience and work speaks for itself. I don't have much time to practice as I do in the summer since I am in my last semester of my BS in Bio. 

Nice, I will search online and review the ones you mentioned. I am thinking my best options will be online. As for a "business" or a "job" how to did you get started? Did you just start with clientele at a gym?

Also I have always been leaning towards sports nutrition aspect, especially for MMA.
9/11/12 1:09 PM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most nutrition certification programs arent worth the time or money. I have a sports nutrition certification, and honestly I didnt learn anything new (it did cost a bunch of money however).

John Berardi (Precision Nutrition as mentioned by Arthur) does have a certification coming up. Expensive, but I think he is one of the best in the business.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/certification-presale-list

All in all, if you dont need the certification for a job, I would suggest scouring the internet and reading up on different dietary and nutritional studies/methods. Lots of free information out there!
9/11/12 1:56 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

Berardi is very much what I pride myself on being, open minded, experimental, etc which is why I'd invest into it. Yeah I remember seeing his prices and thinking ehhh I am a poor college student but IIN is, I believe, 5k unless you know someone who did their "immersion" program and that will get you a good discount. However, IIN is a very "soft" approach to health/food. They don't really put much SCIENCE behind it and sometimes that's very important. Like; if you're working with a gentleman who is overweight and obviously his hormones are a bit out of wack, you can get him into shape, healthy and thriving but what if he's got hypothyrodism or low blood sugar etc? these things aren't so simple as "avoid fried food" (joking example obviously) 
9/11/12 4:58 PM
Sequoyah Sandford

Ok thanks guys. Phone Post
9/11/12 7:24 PM
Taku
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a fan of these guys.

NTA

TAKU
9/17/12 5:50 PM
savage animal
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
9/19/12 8:34 AM
cdueck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.