UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> proper form for clean & jerk?

9/11/12 11:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cheesesteak
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been practicing this lift lately. I want to perfect this though with the best and safest form possible.

Can anyone describe the most proper form? I know google is my friend, but I wan't to ask you guys as your knowledge means much to me.

Thanks
9/11/12 1:24 PM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is your technique on the clean and the jerk individually? If you havent mastered each on their own, no sense in combining the two. Wil Fleming is one of my favorite strength coaches right now. He has very thorough instructionals on both cleans and jerks on his website.

Jerk
http://wilfleming.com/index.php/2012/07/jerk-technique/#more-293

Clean
http://wilfleming.com/index.php/2012/06/power-clean/
9/11/12 5:32 PM
cheesesteak
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks LiftStrong. Mastering them both does make much more sense. I never though of them as two separate lifts. I'm a total noob at olympic lifting but very fascinated with it. Thanks so much.
9/11/12 5:36 PM
cheesesteak

Also what would you suggest as other lifts to benifit the C&J.

I have been doing deadlifts, jump squats and push presses as my warmups to the C&J

9/11/12 5:44 PM
Leigh
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheers for the links :)

I'm attending a OL workshop this weekend Phone Post
9/11/12 7:52 PM
cheesesteak

that's awesome bro. I so would love to do that.
9/12/12 2:17 AM
Leigh
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I had to create it. The guys gym is too far to regularly train at but he said he does workshops, so I got a few guys together and set it up Phone Post
9/12/12 4:48 AM
slayer806
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 part series for both the Clean and the Snatch by Glenn Pendlay.

Clean:

1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEyoH5FV03s&feature=player_embedded
2)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AaSNARQPfE&feature=fvwrel
3)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHuiw4GvB0g&feature=fvwrel

Snatch:

1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SjuAOjMEk&feature=relmfu
2)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DlbzKziJM&feature=fvwrel
3)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOEVmzKUhQ0&feature=fvwrel
9/12/12 7:23 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - Also what would you suggest as other lifts to benifit the C&J.

I have been doing deadlifts, jump squats and push presses as my warmups to the C&J

All 3 of the lifts you listed are good complements to the C&J. I would also add in RDL's, OH lunges, Turkish Getups, high pulls and box jumps. Early on though, most of your gains will come from refining your technique.

I also suggest working through different variations of the clean. If I am teaching an athlete how to clean I work through a progression of clean pulls, hang cleans and squat cleans. Once they are able to perfect all of the partials we can then try the full movement.

One more note, I always program my power movement (which is usually a clean, snatch, jerk or jump) at the start of my training session after a warmup and mobility work. Do your accessory work after your core/power lift.
9/12/12 10:12 AM
cheesesteak

Thanks for the links and advice guys!

Another question I have: is there a leaugue where someone in there 30's could join and compete? Or even weighlifting clubs that I could join?
9/12/12 3:21 PM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh -  Well I had to create it. The guys gym is too far to regularly train at but he said he does workshops, so I got a few guys together and set it up Phone Post

ha

when i described our workouts for olympic lifts you said it sounded gay.

LOL

welcome.
9/12/12 6:08 PM
Leigh

Did I? Not denying it, cos its something I would do, but do you have a link? Phone Post
9/12/12 7:40 PM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

was in a crossfit thread, just ttt'ed it
9/13/12 2:58 AM
Leigh

Ah OK. I was referring to the $250 dollar a month price tag and all the overkill thrown in to justify that price. I have been doing clean and jerk/press every week for years Phone Post
9/13/12 9:04 AM
cheesesteak

I hate to sound like a prick as I used to like crossfit 12 years ago. It's kind of taken on the form of a fitness fad for granolas who want to think their tough...Not trying to offend but that's kind of why I stopped with that a few years back.

I just like the basics, weightlifting and various forms ofr cardio is all you really need. To me it seems all the lifts within the olympic lifts hits everything and after you can do a few isolation lifts to for chest, arms shoulders...etc... but im an oly lifting noob so what do I know.

But in this short time of me doing these lifts, I feel stronger than I ever did with the crossfit hoopla.
9/13/12 5:41 PM
MarsMan
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub, in, ttt, etc...
9/16/12 3:07 PM
Leigh

The workshop was really good. Got a lot from it Phone Post
9/17/12 12:29 PM
TartanArmy
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - The workshop was really good. Got a lot from it Phone Post
Be interesting to hear more if you don't mind sharing. Anything really unexpected etc? Phone Post
9/17/12 12:49 PM
Leigh

Sure. Yes, the triple extension was not something I had worked on. The path of the bar also made a big difference, such as how far away from your legs the bar travels and at what point to explode. Quite a few other details, like posture, hand position etc. Something I knew I would need more of is mobility in the right joints. I'm a fighter not a weight lifter though so weightlifting specific training will take a back seat. Phone Post
9/17/12 2:41 PM
TartanArmy
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - Sure. Yes, the triple extension was not something I had worked on. The path of the bar also made a big difference, such as how far away from your legs the bar travels and at what point to explode. Quite a few other details, like posture, hand position etc. Something I knew I would need more of is mobility in the right joints. I'm a fighter not a weight lifter though so weightlifting specific training will take a back seat. Phone Post
Did you try and go heavy or just run through technique with less weight? Phone Post
9/17/12 5:50 PM
Leigh

No, only light. Worked with 40kgs. Been under the weather but I think I might get a PB with a few weeks of technical practise. Phone Post
9/19/12 1:47 PM
Andy the man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's your PB at the moment, Leigh?

Break down a routine of yours (leading up to your PB) that you've done, please.

Do you do many reps overall or not?
9/19/12 4:50 PM
Leigh

95kg with basically a power clean. My routine is to do a single or a double once a week. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.