UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Anybody here do reverse pyramid lifting?

9/11/12 6:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just started it and I love it. I get a much harder/better workout in much shorter time using it.I use it for dl, bench, and squats. Phone Post
9/12/12 1:10 AM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
9/12/12 9:47 AM
mkou
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/12 9:47 AM
I just do a few heavy sets per week. No need to pyramid it up / down as long as I'm gaining or even maintaining my current strength.

Did you pick it up from leangains?
9/12/12 4:39 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

mkou - I just do a few heavy sets per week. No need to pyramid it up / down as long as I'm gaining or even maintaining my current strength.

Did you pick it up from leangains?
I heard about it from a friend and did some research on it. It seems like a great program. Phone Post
9/12/12 4:43 PM
LordSeano
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whats reverse pyramids? Start low rep heavy weight and then decrease weight whilst increasing reps?
9/12/12 5:17 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

LordSeano - Whats reverse pyramids? Start low rep heavy weight and then decrease weight whilst increasing reps?
Yeah. Research it. It's much more effective. Phone Post
9/12/12 5:27 PM
LordSeano
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isnt that the same as drop sets?
9/12/12 7:39 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

LordSeano - Isnt that the same as drop sets?
Yeah pretty much.lol. Phone Post
9/12/12 8:40 PM
Eggbert
697 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you doing a few warm up sets first? Phone Post
9/13/12 2:38 AM
pcuzz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats all I do. 1x20 warmup. Put on the heaviest I can lift for 8-10 reps, next set drop 20lbs 8-10 reps and so on for 4 sets.
9/13/12 5:41 AM
SmasherSnu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wouldn't that be more of a hypertrophy program than a strength building program?
9/13/12 10:13 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

Fearless Winker -
SmasherSnu - Wouldn't that be more of a hypertrophy program than a strength building program?

Correct so fuck that sheeeeeet

Power building is where its at, a perfect blend of size and strength increases
Yeah but it works for me because I don't want to put on too much size because I fight. I just want to gain strength. If you guys know better programs then i'm all ears. Seriously, i'm just experimenting with this right now so i'm open to other routines. Phone Post
9/13/12 10:46 PM
pcuzz

SmasherSnu - Wouldn't that be more of a hypertrophy program than a strength building program?

Not sure how you figure that. You lift the heavier weights when you are the strongest then as your muscles fatigue you lower the weight so you keep the reps up.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/pyramid-sets-vs-reverse-pyramid-training-vs-straight-sets/

9/13/12 10:49 PM
pcuzz

http://www.illpumpyouup.com/articles/constructing-your-sets-for-maximum-growth.htm

"Reverse Pyramid (heavy to light):
With this version, you start with your heaviest loads, then drop the weight while increasing the number of repetitions in each set. The benefit here is that you can handle your heaviest loads when your muscles are fresh, making it a better strength stimulus than the regular pyramid. Former pro bodybuilder Lee Labrada was a proponent of this type of training, believing that if you gave your all on your first set, you'd be just a hair weaker on successive sets if your rest intervals never quite allowed complete recuperation.

Some research has compared pyramid and reverse-pyramid schemes, and the latter have been shown to bring about greater increases in strength. The only downside is that starting with your heaviest loads can increase your chances of injury if you fail to warm up properly."

9/14/12 3:57 AM
SmasherSnu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pcuzz - http://www.illpumpyouup.com/articles/constructing-your-sets-for-maximum-growth.htm

"Reverse Pyramid (heavy to light):
With this version, you start with your heaviest loads, then drop the weight while increasing the number of repetitions in each set. The benefit here is that you can handle your heaviest loads when your muscles are fresh, making it a better strength stimulus than the regular pyramid. Former pro bodybuilder Lee Labrada was a proponent of this type of training, believing that if you gave your all on your first set, you'd be just a hair weaker on successive sets if your rest intervals never quite allowed complete recuperation.

Some research has compared pyramid and reverse-pyramid schemes, and the latter have been shown to bring about greater increases in strength. The only downside is that starting with your heaviest loads can increase your chances of injury if you fail to warm up properly."

Key words to look at here are "Bodybuilder". They lift for hypertrophy...Sure they may increase strenght more than a normal pyramid, but they arent gonna increase strength more than normal 5x5 or equivalent sets. Its an exercise built for hypertrophy.
9/14/12 3:58 AM
SmasherSnu

UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache - 
Fearless Winker -

Yeah but it works for me because I don't want to put on too much size because I fight. I just want to gain strength. If you guys know better programs then i'm all ears. Seriously, i'm just experimenting with this right now so i'm open to other routines. Phone Post

Hypertrophy is size...and are you the guy with the uncle creepy tat?
9/14/12 5:20 AM
Chocolate Shatner
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dude, you're using "www.illpumpyouup.com" as a source of legit training advice?

Next you're gonna say you look from grappling tips from www.MatBattle.com
9/14/12 5:04 PM
Chocolate Shatner
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

third hook? I use Ultimate Submission vids, personally.
9/14/12 9:26 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

SmasherSnu -
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache - 
Fearless Winker -

Hypertrophy is size...and are you the guy with the uncle creepy tat?
Um no.lol. Sorry I don't know a ton of lifting terms yet. I'm mainly lifting for strength gain and some size gains. Phone Post
9/15/12 4:06 AM
Easytarget
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am pretty sure it is straight from Beyond brawn, and of course before that.

That book recommends doing a 'pump' set after your last work set, and i think that is what RPT is. The leangains guy is a big fan of the book, and i first read about RPT there.
9/15/12 8:36 AM
Chocolate Shatner

Actually, I own Beyond Brawn, and McRobert is a big fan of straight sets. His big thing is small gains on a week to week basis, not any sort of reverse pyramid scheme. In fact, this sort of "brutal training" as he calls it would be counter to his traditional stance.
9/15/12 7:32 PM
Easytarget
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chocolate Shatner - Actually, I own Beyond Brawn, and McRobert is a big fan of straight sets. His big thing is small gains on a week to week basis, not any sort of reverse pyramid scheme. In fact, this sort of "brutal training" as he calls it would be counter to his traditional stance.

Cant find my copy, but it is in there in the last chapters where he recommends doing a set after your work sets. But yes, it definitely isn't reflective of McRobert's basic philosophy at all.
9/16/12 6:33 PM
returnOfDeMac

I can see how this works because your muscles are working 100% from the start. I find that saving your heaviest set for the end just means you deliberately don't work your hardest so u can lift your heavy set at the end. Gonna try this tomorrow Phone Post
9/16/12 7:01 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

returnOfDeMac - I can see how this works because your muscles are working 100% from the start. I find that saving your heaviest set for the end just means you deliberately don't work your hardest so u can lift your heavy set at the end. Gonna try this tomorrow Phone Post
Do it. It's great. Phone Post
9/20/12 6:45 PM
pcuzz

I doubt if there really is much difference unless you at elite levels of either. I have yet to see a Bodybuilder with huge muscles who wasnt very strong and vice versa.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.