UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> USJA Treasurer Arrested

9/11/12 6:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have known Paul for years and I'm posting this thread because I don't think anyone is above the law and this booster club are seeking donations.

Riverside County Sheriff's Dept/CONTRIBUTED IMAGE Paul T. Nogaki, 55, of Murrieta, the former treasurer of the Vista Murrieta band booster club, was arrested on suspicion of embezzling from the parent-run nonprofit group.

The former treasurer of the booster club for the Vista Murrieta High School band has been arrested on suspicion of embezzling funds from the parent-run group, authorities said.

Paul Takuya Nogaki, 55, was arrested Wednesday, Aug. 29, at his Buckwood Way home, Murrieta police said in a news release.

Sgt. Phil Gomez declined to give an estimate of the amount of money believed to have been stolen. He said investigators are still trying to determine how much money is missing.

Karen Parris, spokeswoman for the Murrieta Valley Unified School District, said she could not release any estimate of the financial loss, but said “it’s a significant amount.”

Nogaki’s two-year term as treasurer ended in June, police said.

“The next guy came in. He started looking at the numbers and saw there were a lot of discrepancies,” Gomez said.

Booster club officials notified police of the suspected theft this week, Gomez said.

Nogaki was booked into the Southwest Detention Center on suspicion of grand theft and embezzlement. He was released Thursday on $135,000 bond, jail records show.

No one answered the door Friday at Nogaki’s home and a voicemail left at the nonprofit judo center Nogaki operates in Murrieta was not returned.

The nonprofit band booster club raises money to assist the Golden Alliance band with expenses, such as travel and food, not covered by the school district budget, police said. The booster club is independent of the district.

More than 350 students participate in the school’s band programs, which include the 250-member marching band, jazz bands and concert bands, Parris said. The booster club’s annual budget for the program is about $225,000, she said.

Vista Murrieta Principal Darren Daniel met with hundreds of band parents Thursday night to discuss the situation and address concerns. Parents and school officials agreed they do not want the incident to affect the students or their program, Parris said.

“They will still be able to provide the necessary support” the students need to perform and compete this year, she said.

However, the boosters may need to make some adjustments to this year’s budget and they may need to delay purchase of new marching band uniforms, which the group had been saving up for, she said.

The boosters had oversight procedures in place and conducted annual audits of their funds, Parris said.

Parris said she did not believe Nogaki had children currently attending schools in the Murrieta Valley district.
9/11/12 6:34 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the following is the message I received from the person who runs the VMHS band booster club:

Thank you very much for your email. I have been reading the thread on the Judo site... it's been fascinating/amusing/upsetting, to say the least. I have mixed feelings about putting out our info, only because I would never want it to appear like we are trying to benefit from all of this in any way. Let me tell you a little about us, and how we operate...

Although our school has only been in existence for 9 years, we have grown to one of the largest high school instrumental music programs in California with approximately 325 students participating in all aspects of our music performance groups this year. In 2008 we finished 19th at the Grand National Championships in Indianapolis, more importantly being awarded the Esprit de Corps Award. This national award is given to the band that “best exhibits pride, spirit, enthusiasm, friendliness, and unity throughout the Championships.” The past two consecutive years we have won the Marching Band Open Series Championship. We are extremely proud of the accomplishments of our students in these brief 9 years, stressing that they do all things with CLASS... Character, Leadership, Attitude, Scholarship, and Service to others.

In California, we are legally not allowed to charge any type of fee to students wanting to participate in our program. In addition, the entire music program receives absolutely NO funding from either the school or school district. We are solely funded through voluntary donations from our parents, and especially a lot of fundraising by our students. Everything we do... buses (last year over $45,000), music, instrument purchases/repairs, uniforms, etc. is paid for by our booster group. If a student wants to be in the band, we have to provide them an instrument. Every time we feed the kids a meal at a competition, or band camp, it costs us $1,000. Although we have a lot of kids, as you can imagine our expenses are extremely high and money is a constant struggle for us.

I have known Paul for several years. I have traveled with him, been to his home many times, eaten numerous meals with him, and sat next to him at many football games. His daughter, a wonderful young lady, was our Drum Major for two years. I have also sat next to him in Board meetings, listening to him explain our financial state as we cut things from the kids' program because we didn't have the money. This past week has been a whirlwind of emotions since I discovered the irregularities. My heart goes out to his family, yet I am hurt and saddened that he continued this on a constant basis for well over a year.

To compound the issue, we now have to have a forensic audit done and we've been advised it could cost around $7,500. Yes, this could be added on to the total amount, but I question if we will ever see all the money which means we'll never get this additional amount back. In the meantime, we don't have an extra $7,500 in our budget which means further immediate cuts to our student's program.

I'm probably giving you more information than you ever wanted. While your "associates" fight on the forum about whether they should stand by their friend who did something wrong to some unknown group, I sit here and wonder how he could look me, and everyone, in the eye for all those many months.

Should anyone wish to make a donation to our organization, it will be greatly appreciated.... so long as their motive is correct. Our Paypal email address is:

vmhsga@gmail.com (communication to me goes to thevmhsga@gmail.com)

We are a 501©(3) non-profit organization ID# 42-1631196. Our mailing address is:

Vista Murrieta Band Boosters
25060 Hancock Ave., Ste. 103-123
Murrieta, CA 92562
9/12/12 12:57 AM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KlLPsU8-ds&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Same dude.
9/18/12 12:25 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i donated $50 some time ago...

The actions that this guy took make me sick. I don't care what the reasons behind it are... There is always an option that does not include stealing from kids!
9/18/12 12:38 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hate to hijack the thread but;

Hey Joshua,

Are you going to the SJSU alumni function in Downtown LA on Thursday?  I have a meeting with one of the people from the Foundation at 2:00pm. 

9/20/12 12:49 PM
thePetester
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is this ptnippon from judoforum.com?
9/20/12 4:05 PM
judo man

Yes, that's the same guy.
9/25/12 6:28 AM
thePetester

Yeah, I went over there and started reading.

Not surprising based on his online personality and my interaction with him. Condescending, know it all douche bag if you disagreed with him about anything. I am sure it was well justified in his mind though. I found it quite comical how he admitted to the amount he had written in checks, but the cash that was missing, he just had no idea where that could have gone to!
9/28/12 12:03 PM
Steve72
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thePetester - Yeah, I went over there and started reading.

Not surprising based on his online personality and my interaction with him. Condescending, know it all douche bag if you disagreed with him about anything. I am sure it was well justified in his mind though. I found it quite comical how he admitted to the amount he had written in checks, but the cash that was missing, he just had no idea where that could have gone to!

Wait....Is judoforum back up? Every time I go there I get some weird virus-y thing.
9/28/12 8:15 PM
TEOMOFE
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ it never went down. There's a 123.com redirect that the new owners are too lazy to fix. Just click back and go to the page. Ignore the virus warning - it's picking up the 123 redirect as a trojan.

Or go to judoinfo.com first, then click forum from there
10/1/12 11:42 AM
Steve72
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. I'm dumb.
10/4/12 9:12 AM
thePetester

Yes, I always go to judoinfo.com and then hit the forum link.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.