UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> TUF: India official for 2013 debut

9/11/12 11:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC officials today announced that the promotion has partnered with India's SONY SIX to produce "The Ultimate Fighter: India," which will air on the channel in 2013.

"We are very excited to partner with SIX as the UFC expands into India," UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta stated. "We look forward to working with them to not only further expand the UFC's fanbase [in India] but also to find and develop local talent and, ultimately, bring regular live events to India."

SIX, which was launched earlier this year, is already home to UFC programming in India and airs live events and specialty programming such "Countdown,' "Primetime" and "UFC Unleashed."

SIX executives hope the new series will further expand their audience.

read entire article...

9/12/12 12:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
theGunslinger12
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is India that big of a market for the UFC? I understand brazil but why not a Canadian season before India? Phone Post
9/12/12 12:19 AM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/12 12:21 AM
 ^ India has 300m males between 18-34...  They are a growing economy... they have or will have more people in the "middle class" bracket than the entire US population ...  So it's a pretty valuable market.  
9/12/12 12:21 AM
quickfix
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theGunslinger12 -  Is India that big of a market for the UFC? I understand brazil but why not a Canadian season before India? Phone Post

Population of Canada= 34,482,779

India= 1,241,491,960
9/12/12 12:34 AM
kinson

I'm hating all these injuries. With everyone saying how the UFC is putting to many shows you've got to hand it to them. The UFC is expanding more so than any other MMA promotion ever has. Phone Post
9/12/12 1:00 AM
huggy bear

Hopefully they do an ultimate fighter Japan and Korea also because they have some really excellent fighters Phone Post
9/12/12 2:26 AM
the geek
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool Phone Post
9/12/12 2:59 AM
Filipino Zombie

lol dude... someone please tell me how india got a TUF before the philippines did? seriously, wtf dana?! -__-"
9/12/12 3:10 AM
kawz1
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

huggy bear -  Hopefully they do an ultimate fighter Japan and Korea also because they have some really excellent fighters Phone Post

^This and Russia/Eastern Europe.
9/12/12 3:28 AM
Strykr619

Filipino Zombie - lol dude... someone please tell me how india got a TUF before the philippines did? seriously, wtf dana?! -__-"

From what I was told (cousin is an exec at ABS-CBN and he is a mad MMA fan) they are still negotiating a proper time for it to be on, they don't want it on some abscure cable channel they want it on the main network so they are trying to find a happy medium (aka this is in Pinas bro, Dana hasn't greased the pockets yet). 
9/12/12 4:24 AM
MMALOGIC

Filipino Zombie - lol dude... someone please tell me how india got a TUF before the philippines did? seriously, wtf dana?! -__-"

India's economy is about 8 times bigger than the philippines... but in specific terms the TV Partner in India did what was necessary to get tuf before a tv partner in the philippines did.

if rogers sports net wants a canadian tuff they can get one... if Abs-CBN in the phillippines wants tuf they can get one.  they just gotta do what's necessary and Lorenzo will give it to them.

I personally think the philippines, malaysia, singapore and indonesia needs only one tuf to service that entire market.
9/12/12 4:32 AM
Matt Phillips
809 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would go to a big UFC show in India. That would be pretty bad ass.
9/12/12 4:35 AM
MMALOGIC

having said that...  there's hardly any webtraffic for the ufc from india.  Conversely, the philippines is on par with the united states in terms of web queries.
9/12/12 5:50 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

holy crap the UFC IS DONE!
9/12/12 7:02 AM
Bobby Lupo
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can we set up a paypal to get Ashgar a ticket to India and make the dream of Ashgar-Franklin one step closer to reality.

I hope that this will not conflict with Dehghai's TUF: Iran like Raw and Nitro
9/12/12 7:12 AM
spliff
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

somebody gonna get a hurt real bad
9/12/12 8:34 AM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one's gonna mention SFL Challengers?  I'm not saying it because they're competition.  I'm saying it because (IMO) that show pretty much unequivocally proved that India talent is NOT ready for a TUF yet.  

They were still teaching these people triangle chokes and "ground and pound" as moves, I'm really surprised that the UFC thinks they're going to be able to pull some top contender fighters out of India right now, I would've guessed maybe 2015, not 2013 (give the sport of mma some time to gain traction).  But hey, what do I know?
9/12/12 9:18 AM
frederic
662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait to watch them pissing in each other's curries. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.