UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Edumacate me on the cloud

9/12/12 7:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crobrun
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please recommend some books. Hosted infrastructure is probably what I'm most interested in, but I would like to be able to talk intelligently about "The Cloud".

Thanks!
9/12/12 2:06 PM
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The cloud is stupid and I hate it. All it does is add a layer of latency and slow your support time.
9/12/12 3:07 PM
crobrun
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not saying I like it, I just want to be able to know what I'm talking about, and I wouldn't mind doing some test work in it.
9/12/12 8:25 PM
Titan Ape
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The cloud" has pretty much become a catch all for everything from storing files, images, etc; to software as a service applications, that are stored on someone else's hardware.

Infrastructure wise, I have been using Heroku http://www.heroku.com/ (they label themselves as a cloud application platform). Which basically means they provide the system administration of your hosted web application.

One of the most popular cloud infrastructure providers is Amazon Web Services. Heroku is built on top of AWS. http://aws.amazon.com/

I use their CloudFront (Content Delivery Network), S3 (Scalable storage in the cloud) and EC2 (Virtual servers in the cloud) services.

I don't know of a book that would help you out, but definitely go to the AWS site and work through some of their tutorials to get a feel for what they can do.
9/12/12 9:42 PM
crobrun

Titan - thanks!
9/13/12 1:11 AM
HardHittingHeeb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Plus deploy stuff to heroku and their competitors.
9/13/12 11:49 PM
OnCall
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing#Service_models
Start by reading about the service models (IaaS, SaaS and PaaS).
9/17/12 10:11 AM
Synado

crobrun - Not saying I like it, I just want to be able to know what I'm talking about, and I wouldn't mind doing some test work in it.

Good luck. I was just being facetious.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.