UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Al DiMeola & Steve Vai improv (vid)

9/12/12 10:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jman
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/12 10:06 AM

Pretty awesome to see this. Coolest thing to me was just to see the interaction between the two. Al of course is the Alpha with Steve the Beta in the improv (and rightly so) but the interaction and the way Vai follows/leads to keep the improv going is very nice. I think the small smile at the end from Al pretty much nails my thoughts on it.

9/13/12 12:31 PM
hugomma
856 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for later, & VTFU.  Thanks jman.
9/19/12 10:10 AM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's cool to see. And hear.

Here's Vai guesting with Mike Stern. I won't call "alpha" or "beta" in this particular one. (OK, if I *did* ... well, it is after all, Stern's record). I'm not sure Hugo's allowed to listen to this one ;-)

9/19/12 10:25 AM
hugomma
856 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - That's cool to see. And hear.

Here's Vai guesting with Mike Stern. I won't call "alpha" or "beta" in this particular one. (OK, if I *did* ... well, it is after all, Stern's record). I'm not sure Hugo's allowed to listen to this one ;-)

Nothin' wrong with a little chorus as long as there's no eye contact :-)
9/19/12 12:06 PM
jman
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stern seems like such a cool, laid back guy:

I never really listened much to him, can you post some more of his stuff?
9/22/12 2:34 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll see what's available on youtube... I know most of his records real well, but not sure what's out there on the 'tube. I'll try to find some favorites, sure! But later. Now... laundry day. (I wish I got to spend more time here over the past coupla weeks, you guys have posted really killer and educational stuff!)

But man... I'm scared of posting Stern with Hugo around. Just sayin' ;-)
9/22/12 2:40 PM
Ali

OK, before I go, couldn't help myself. A young Mike Stern, 1982. His nickname was "Fat Time".

Behold.

9/22/12 2:43 PM
Ali

Edited: 09/23/12 6:07 AM
I can't embed this one (disabled) -- but that jazz/funk thing... Stern is breathtaking. Paste this one into your browser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOijJFgBAH4&feature=related

I get titles mixed up, but I think that one is "Ha Ha Hotel". (Not what I said before. Which was mixing up two other titles, anyway).

And what to do with an old warhorse? Here's one suggestion:

9/23/12 2:16 AM
jman

Edited: 09/23/12 2:22 AM
Wow, I really love the way he integrates the rock and jazz into fusion into that jazz funk clip.

I watched all of the videos and still thought "what the fuck is he doing to play outside" because it flows so fucking well with the rock and other stuff and doesn't sound like he's playing outside just for the sake of playing out side, just super natural.

I found this video, that gives an "example" of a Mike Stern style lick, which I thought was pretty cool (Dorian, Melodic Minor and Natural Minor all in there, lol):

Also a way I found after listening to the concert video I "think" he was using some diminished scale stuff at one point before he went into some awesome pentatonic minor bends. So maybe trying to throw in a Whole-Half Diminished scale (1,2,b3,4,b5,b6,6,7) for a few beats instead of the Dorian (1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7)sounds pretty cool and outside. A poorman's way for me to maybe sound oustide?
9/23/12 2:29 AM
hugomma

Edited: 09/23/12 2:48 AM
Ali - I'll see what's available on youtube... I know most of his records real well, but not sure what's out there on the 'tube. I'll try to find some favorites, sure! But later. Now... laundry day. (I wish I got to spend more time here over the past coupla weeks, you guys have posted really killer and educational stuff!)

But man... I'm scared of posting Stern with Hugo around. Just sayin' ;-)

LOL, like I said before, nothing wrong with a little chorus between friends as long as there's no eye contact.

I actually love Stern's playing & loved his 'Standards' album.  That version of "Autumn Leaves" you posted is stunning.  Besides the ridiculous lines he plays after the head, the chord melody work he does from 1:07- 1:28 makes me scratch my head & wonder "how"?!?  

And I love the lack of overwhealming chours on "Fat Time", particularly in the beginning.  The vibrato he uses the puntuate his line around 1:19, & again around 1:24 - just stunning.  It adds so much to those wild, angular lines.

But it's his tone that makes him a bit hard for me to listen to sometimes.  Kind of like how you are with rock guys playing nylon strings, Ali.  IMHO, it's a bit too harsh, & has WAY too much chours for my taste.  According to this video, Stern uses an old solid state Yamaha combo.  And the chorus is actually a rack mounted Yamaha SPX90 digital processor.

I'm the biggest tone cunt you'll ever meet.  As much as I enjoyed that alpha/beta DiMeola/Vai display, one of the things that sealed it for me was the tone.  DiMeola has a rounder, fuller tone, IMHO, while Vai's is thin & too high-endy for me.  Via's high end even more apparant in the Stern alpha/beta clip.  Stern's chorus works better the distortion on that one, but still too chours-y for my taste.

That being said, I absolutely love his playing.  The lines that guy puts together are unbelieveable, & he's as complete a jazz/rock player as you'll find out there.  Without a doubt, Mike Stern is one of the elite modern jazz guitarist of the past 35 years.  I'm just an infected fuckin' cunt muscle when it comes to guitar tones.  
9/23/12 2:32 AM
hugomma

Here's an incredible version of "Nardis".

9/23/12 2:41 AM
hugomma

Here's a live version of "Straight No Chaser", similar to the version on "Standards".

This mutherfucker has some of the cleanest, most accurate picking you'll hear in jazz circles.  Were's not talking shred chops, the dude pulls lines out of his ass like he's the ghost of Pablo Escobar.  And a wicked vibrato to boot.  And that chord/pedal point thing he starts at around 2:18...

But again with the tone...when he kicks in the distortion at around 2:50, it sounds like a pissed-off, 800 lb mosquito, & not in a cool way.  But regardless of my idiotic tonal issues, Stern can burn with the best of them.

9/23/12 2:50 AM
hugomma

Goddamn...& no chours either :-)
9/23/12 2:54 AM
Ali

Edited: 09/23/12 3:00 AM
He does have shred chops, too, btw. Lots of them on that Billy Cobham/Glass Menagerie DVD. Dunno how much of it is on youtube. On the DVD there's shredding with the best of 'em. And that's not the best thing about him.

I like his tone. I'm a "tone cunt" too. But his sound is his... like I had a hard time with Miles' Harmon mute for a while. Then learned... it's his. And it's stunning, uniquely identifiable. But then, I'm not a fan of metal tones very often. (Pace Schenker -- and a few other dudes).
9/23/12 2:57 AM
jman

The lines he plays are just incredible...wow. So inspiring and so depressing at the same time to hear and watch him do that off the top of his head.

Yeah the distortion tone is kind of meh...but it doesn't take away anything for me.
9/23/12 2:59 AM
hugomma

Edited: 09/23/12 3:39 AM
Here's a longer version of the Stern & Billy Cobham clip I posted before.  I know this is mostly about Stern, but my god this Billy Cobham...

9/23/12 2:59 AM
jman

You should probably post more of his vids in the Mike Stern thread instead of the DiMeola & Vai thread me thinks.

Thanks!
9/23/12 3:03 AM
hugomma

Ali - He does have shred chops, too, btw. Lots of them on that Billy Cobham/Glass Menagerie DVD. Dunno how much of it is on youtube. On the DVD there's shredding with the best of 'em. And that's not the best thing about him.

I like his tone. I'm a "tone cunt" too. But his sound is his... like I had a hard time with Miles' Harmon mute for a while. Then learned... it's his. And it's stunning, uniquely identifiable. But then, I'm not a fan of metal tones very often. (Pace Schenker -- and a few other dudes).

I hear ya.  The more I more listen to what he's playing (I haven't listened to him in a long time), the less I care about the lack of tubes & the digital processor thingey.

I liked his tone a lot more with Billy Cobham, though.

9/23/12 3:04 AM
hugomma

jman - You should probably post more of his vids in the Mike Stern thread instead of the DiMeola & Vai thread me thinks.

Thanks!

There's a Mike Stern thread somewhere?!?  Shit, I didn't know...

It's Ali's fault...he started it :-)

9/23/12 7:12 AM
Ali

Edited: 09/23/12 7:12 AM
hugomma - 
jman - You should probably post more of his vids in the Mike Stern thread instead of the DiMeola & Vai thread me thinks.

Thanks!

It is my fault. I have shamed my family. I did start it. But I also started the Mike Stern thread. See, I repented. Repent ye. Follow me (to the Mike Stern thread).
9/23/12 1:25 PM
hugomma

Ali - 
hugomma - 

Thanks!

It is my fault. I have shamed my family. I did start it. But I also started the Mike Stern thread. See, I repented. Repent ye. Follow me (to the Mike Stern thread).

It's always your fault.  Like, it's your fault I became a Bill Frisell weirdo & started taking lessons with Dale Bruning...Wait, that's bad?!?

My ears & mind (& keyboard) will follow you to the Stern thread (& other theads, too) the way the mighty 300 followed Leonidas to Thermopylae. 

Seriousl, I love learning new shit from you & jman.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.