UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What's so bad about Crossfit? (vid)

9/13/12 3:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
joemama1034
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like some people trying to be not as out of shape. Sure they can be a little extreme in certain situations, but who isn't? And yes it may be a wee bit culty but it's in the name of being fit so is that as bad? Blue namer please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlVrkiCoKkg&feature=youtube_gdata_player Phone Post
9/13/12 10:53 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't even know where to start with x-fit. lack of programming/ramp up/ periodization all come to mind. their intense focus on volume over proper techinque (kipping pull ups) and the science behind it...

from their level 1 certifications regarding the kip in the pull up. I am paraphrasing here...

"It's all about functionality, and in the real world if you're getting chased by an animal and you see a tree branch, you're not going to do a dead hang 'perfect' pull ups, you'll kip as much as you can to get to the top of the branch." Ok that's cute and all but lemme ask you this. Do you think someone who is able to do 20 dead hang pull ups won't be able to get up on the same branch? this is stupid reasoning. 
9/13/12 11:12 AM
paw
1385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/12 11:21 AM
*edit* 

I'll try and be diplomatic.  I crossfitted for 3-4 years.  During that time I lost massive amounts of limit strength.  My deadlift fell by 75 pounds.  My squat dropped over 100.  Everything fell.

So, my personal experience is: lack of limit strength development, lack of structured programming, lack of scaling (virtually no one increases weight rx'd...they only decrease the weight.  Seems it should work both ways, right?) and a general lack of technical form.

Others milage may vary.  My own take is that "crossfit" is like "bjj" or "plummer"....there are probably some fantastic places out there, but there are also places that are utterly horrid.

As to the organization itself.....I personally would have nothing to do with them, ever - but I shan't get into that here. 
9/13/12 12:10 PM
The Adversary
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

High level crossfitter, renounces. Kinda FRAT, but a good explanation from an insider why xfit is not the best thing for you.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/training_perspective_gillian.pdf
9/13/12 6:25 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought it was going to be the video of the police car.
9/13/12 7:11 PM
The Adversary
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

419 - I thought it was going to be the video of the police car.

Lulz, that one is legendary.
9/14/12 12:42 AM
joemama1034
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do crossfitters even argue that kipping pull ups are as hard as regular pull ups? Just seems like almost a totally different exercise to me. I can flat bench press a shit ton more of weight than I can dumbell bench press. Bad analogy? Phone Post
9/14/12 7:44 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joemama1034 -  Do crossfitters even argue that kipping pull ups are as hard as regular pull ups? Just seems like almost a totally different exercise to me. I can flat bench press a shit ton more of weight than I can dumbell bench press. Bad analogy? Phone Post

they argue the FUNCTIONALITY of it...also it's easier to do kipping pull ups....do you think that toolbox that did a hundred "pull ups" on the x-fit website could do even 30 dead hang ones? 
9/14/12 4:42 PM
torquemada
279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a former Crossfit follower, in.

Pros and cons. In truth, mostly cons. Phone Post
9/15/12 7:09 PM
Eel
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"They argue functionality". I thought it was about power output. Most of the videos I've seen of GG addressing this topic always talk about power output. Phone Post
9/15/12 8:39 PM
UnbreakableT
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the some of the movements lime thrusters, box jumps n kb swings but the killings are kinda dumb. I don't have time to master a swinging pullup. But it is great intensity for mma training, any circuit that me n my coach set up is very much like a xfit wod but little more sport specific. Good stuff tho. Think if I didnt Fite I'd apply myself to this100% Phone Post
9/18/12 2:59 AM
joemama1034

Yea kipping pull ups are easier than regular pull ups crossfitters seem to agree with that. It's a totally different exercise. And I'm not sure I would think a guy that can do 100 kipping pull ups would be able to come close to getting 30 dead hang pull ups. Still just seems like a group of people who don't want to be out of shape, which isn't a bad thing. Phone Post
9/18/12 3:02 AM
joemama1034

Also, I've been looking into several crossfit gyms. They all have programming (the trainers post daily workouts on their respective websites). They all have on ramp programs which a new member is required to go to. And a lot of them mix starting strength / 5-3-1 in their strength programs so obviously you can scale those workouts up to your satisfaction. Phone Post
9/18/12 8:33 AM
Outkaster
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back in March or April I was out with a buddy for a couple beers. He had been doing crossfit for awhile. The whole afternoon that’s all he talked about. I couldn’t believe it. He then said “crossfit saved my marriage”???!! I said a cultish workout saved your marriage?? It’s really weird. We also had a crossfit dude come in for a Judo class where I work out. He was dying after the workout. I though to myself “hows your crossfitt now?” fuckin dick.

9/18/12 10:01 AM
jamtmann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol...it's all the rage these days where I live. Funny to see this thread; thanks for the info and insight. I don't know much about it...
9/18/12 10:42 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

Eel -  "They argue functionality". I thought it was about power output. Most of the videos I've seen of GG addressing this topic always talk about power output. Phone Post

I'll find that bit for you, sir :)

9/19/12 4:32 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

Fearless Winker -  ""It's all about functionality, and in the real world if you're getting chased by an animal and you see a tree branch, you're not going to do a dead hang 'perfect' pull ups, you'll kip as much as you can to get to the top of the branch."

JESUS CHRIST! talk about missing the fucking point!

take a moment, relax, take a breath and make some sense. We're dying to hear it :) 
9/20/12 8:03 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

wait so did they miss the point or did I miss the point? Your post was somewhat ambiguous lol

to be fair though, the crossfitter who ran into your office was probably just excited. I was the same way when I discovered Olympic still rings before GSP started popularizing them and I was telling everyone about them...they do look like an assortment of wankers and bloody nitwits for sure.

I went camping with a few and of course, they couldn't find anything else to wear than their cross trainers and crossfit tees...
9/20/12 9:53 AM
paw
1385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArthurKnoqOut - wait so did they miss the point or did I miss the point? Your post was somewhat ambiguous lol

to be fair though, the crossfitter who ran into your office was probably just excited. I was the same way when I discovered Olympic still rings before GSP started popularizing them and I was telling everyone about them...they do look like an assortment of wankers and bloody nitwits for sure.

I went camping with a few and of course, they couldn't find anything else to wear than their cross trainers and crossfit tees...

I'm calling shenanigans on your camping story.  Crossfiters don't wear t-shirts!
;)

9/20/12 11:57 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn I had this mad funny picture of my friends going fishing and they take a pic of themselves in front of the boat all shirtless and everyone on FB ripped them a new one...dammit! 
9/20/12 2:38 PM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html 
9/20/12 2:39 PM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/20/12 2:51 PM
joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html
9/20/12 3:44 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

kcbjj - joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html

VTFU I was just going to post this! 
9/21/12 6:57 AM
3 strikes
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/crossfit-fail-compilation-269317
9/21/12 6:08 PM
surf2live
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArthurKnoqOut - 
joemama1034 -  Do crossfitters even argue that kipping pull ups are as hard as regular pull ups? Just seems like almost a totally different exercise to me. I can flat bench press a shit ton more of weight than I can dumbell bench press. Bad analogy? Phone Post

they argue the FUNCTIONALITY of it...also it's easier to do kipping pull ups....do you think that toolbox that did a hundred "pull ups" on the x-fit website could do even 30 dead hang ones? 

I can guarantee that "toolbox" can do 30 pull ups. At 150 he can also Clean and Jerk 275 Deadlift 420 back squat 380 and snatch 225.

There are just as many "toolboxes" in regular gyms getting hurt claiming that whatever type of system they are using is the best.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.