UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What's so bad about Crossfit? (vid)

10/12/12 10:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArthurKnoqOut - 

I've never heard any "bros" say any of that...met con is EPOC based training and it's great for specific goals. Crossfit does not promote and ramp on/scale up form which is why there's soo many video examples of bad form. Dude, my buddy does CrossFit in a gym here in NYC and he went to power lift with me the other day and literally, couldn't do a squat remotely correct (knees weren't trackign over feet, lumbar weak, cervical/chin too high up).  Furthermore, it obviously depends on the trainers. You can get to CF instructors with complete different understandings, experience and utilization of the program.

IDK about that last one. 

I can speak to the last one ("Do crossfit and you'll get weak), as that was my experience.  I started Crossfit with a 535 deadlift.  3-4 years later, I struggled with 455.  It took a little over a year of 5/3/1 to get back to a 500+ deadlift.  My other lifts suffered as well, especially my bench. 

IMO, the lack of strength development is one of my biggest criticisms of Crossfit and that shouldn't come as a surprise.  Glassman has claimed he would take folks starting from 0 to 500-600 pound deadlifts in a year or two with Crossfit and that hasn't happened.  Glassman has also said Crossfit would take a 1,000 pound squater down to 700 in 6 months.

As for "Crossfit teaches bad form!" that seems to be the case.  IIRC, there's video of Rob Orlando essentially telling someone to use bad form to lower their Fran time.  There's also the oft-repeated 20% slop is ok.  Or it's more of a case where the focus is on "get the time as low as possible" and ignore bad form until injury happens.  Whatever the cause, the basic message is that strict form is not necessary or even desirable.

10/14/12 4:12 PM
RIPLEY
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Limit Strength: No
Explosive Power: No
Good Form: No
Muscular size: No
Great at doing a series of unrelated exercises covering different aspects of strength and conditioning with no clear goal other than being good at that style of training: Yes
10/14/12 6:58 PM
OiKing

Is it the best thing? No. Is it a lot better than most of the training you see in gyms now a days? Yes.

Some of the things I have seen them do is borderline retarded. Having soccer moms doing continental lifts? Common on there is a reason that lift died out years ago, because it is dumb. And I think they could really use a lesson that just because training is grueling and tough doesn't mean it is productive. I firmly believe in order to improve you have to push yourself past your limits but you have to do it in the right way.

But I see so many retarded things in the gym anymore it is baffling. Guys doing chest supported rows with a chain attached to the end. Why the hell would you use accommodating resistance on a chest supported row? And what is the point when you set it up so that at the bottom of the lift only 3 or 4 links are even on the ground.

10/14/12 10:52 PM
joemama1034
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess its better than sitting around and playing video games all day and eating burger king. Phone Post
10/15/12 12:11 AM
molsonman
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OiKing - Is it the best thing? No. Is it a lot better than most of the training you see in gyms now a days? Yes.

Some of the things I have seen them do is borderline retarded. Having soccer moms doing continental lifts? Common on there is a reason that lift died out years ago, because it is dumb. And I think they could really use a lesson that just because training is grueling and tough doesn't mean it is productive. I firmly believe in order to improve you have to push yourself past your limits but you have to do it in the right way.

But I see so many retarded things in the gym anymore it is baffling. Guys doing chest supported rows with a chain attached to the end. Why the hell would you use accommodating resistance on a chest supported row? And what is the point when you set it up so that at the bottom of the lift only 3 or 4 links are even on the ground.

People in regular weight rooms are not a group with a single training philosophy. When you see individuals doing crazy stuff it is because that particular person doesn't know any better.

Crossfit is an organization with philosophies on training. When you see messed up things at crossfit gyms you can blame it on the organization.
10/15/12 12:37 AM
joemama1034
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or you can blame it on that particular crossfit gym and not all crossfit in general Phone Post
10/15/12 12:42 AM
molsonman
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joemama1034 -  Or you can blame it on that particular crossfit gym and not all crossfit in general Phone Post

You could but it is just too common from crossfit gym to crossfit gym. Good crossfit clubs are the exception.
10/15/12 12:43 AM
molsonman

And the good clubs are not really following the main organizations philosophies.
10/15/12 12:48 AM
joemama1034

Couldn't tell ya, I've only been to one crossfit gym and it didn't seem too bad. Phone Post
10/15/12 7:23 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is Crossfit? To a cultist, any benefical exercise. To a hater, all the shenanigans.
10/15/12 5:44 PM
BEEF & CHEESE
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIPLEY - Limit Strength: No
Great at doing a series of unrelated exercises covering different aspects of strength and conditioning with no clear goal other than being good at that style of training: Yes

You are clueless about CrossFit.
10/15/12 5:57 PM
DevilDawg
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/15/12 5:57 PM
So do you think the guys who do the crossfit games do supplemental workouts? All of those guys seem pretty fit, and well rounded in strength, speed, stamina and agility.
10/15/12 7:24 PM
joemama1034

Yes supplemental crossfit workouts. Phone Post
10/15/12 8:30 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

molsonman - 
joemama1034 -  Or you can blame it on that particular crossfit gym and not all crossfit in general Phone Post

You could but it is just too common from crossfit gym to crossfit gym. Good crossfit clubs are the exception.

Dunno, man. I'm definitely not a CrossFit'er, but I've been to a handful of gyms because I have a friends that are pretty into it, and my wife CrossFits. The gyms these days all follow a pretty simple template these days.

* Mobility work and "warm-up/buy in". The latter is usually a mini WOD to get the blood flowing.

* Skill Work like a handstand, l-sit, snatch technique, etc.

* Strength Work - 5/3/1 is popular, but some will just work to 5,3,1 rep of a specific lift that day.

* WOD - Usually a "metcon" or whatever.

* "cash out" or another mini WOD mixed with mobility work.

Lots of CF boxes run yoga programs now too.

Not saying this is ideal. I mean if I thought that, I'd probably train with my wife. I like my own tailored program that I can use to reach specific goals. Still, you can do a lot worse than that. That said, I do see slop form at boxes. I'll even WOD occasionally at my wife's gym and got sucked into the competition. Almost F'ed myself up doing slop DL's for reps with 275 lbs. I think it was a max DL in 2:00 or something. Won't be doing that again!
10/16/12 4:05 AM
joemama1034

Who says you need crossfit to do circuit training? Phone Post
10/16/12 9:40 AM
paw
1169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BEEF & CHEESE - 
RIPLEY - Limit Strength: No

You are clueless about CrossFit.

Based on my experiences, he's dead on.

10/16/12 10:39 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DevilDawg - So do you think the guys who do the crossfit games do supplemental workouts? All of those guys seem pretty fit, and well rounded in strength, speed, stamina and agility.

I forgot who said this but it was someone very experienced in the field (maybe Mike Mahler or Steve Maxwell) but they said that competitors at the CF games don't train your regular CF gym work outs. Meaning they train/periodize specifically for the games. 

10/16/12 12:25 PM
paw

ArthurKnoqOut - 
DevilDawg - So do you think the guys who do the crossfit games do supplemental workouts? All of those guys seem pretty fit, and well rounded in strength, speed, stamina and agility.

I forgot who said this but it was someone very experienced in the field (maybe Mike Mahler or Steve Maxwell) but they said that competitors at the CF games don't train your regular CF gym work outs. Meaning they train/periodize specifically for the games. 

IIRC, video interviews with the top finishers/competitors indicated that they all do multiple workouts a day, with programming that is....not sure what the correct word would be.....specific for them, maybe?

If you believe the WOD is crossfit, then no, they are not going to be following crossfit programming.  If you believe crossfit is so broad that someone who does 5/3/1 in the AM and then in the PM does a "metcon" is still following crossfit programming, then I suppose they are still following crossfit programming.

Personally, I would say they are not following the crossfit prgramming, but ymmv.

10/16/12 5:31 PM
surf2live
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The workouts and programming on the Crossfit Main site is shit. Check out Crossfit FB, Outlaw Crossfit, Crossfit Invictus ect for a more well rounded programming.
10/17/12 8:18 AM
5 o clock shadow

Wow, Crossfit really stirs up some hostility. I must not have met the cultists and d-bags that everyone is referring to. Perhaps folks are more frustrated at people who have discovered "new" lifts like the deadlift, or maybe they hate people with terrible form claiming to be Olympic lifters.

I can understand peoples frustration with some overblown claims by Glassman as well.

However, my feelings towards Crossfit are probably similar to the T-Nation article. I like Crossfit's emphasis on functional strength, and occasionally, I'll follow one of their WOD protocols. Sometimes I just don't want to spend the time trying to dream up a grueling workout, so the occasional WOD is just fine for me.

Crossfit is not the be-all end all to fitness, but if it opens people's eyes to high intensity workouts, Olympic lifts, and functional strength, it can't all be bad. I'd much rather see some D-bag doing Turkish Get-Ups in the squat rack than curls.

fos
10/17/12 9:58 AM
paw

Edited: 10/17/12 9:59 AM
5 o clock shadow - I'd much rather see some D-bag doing Turkish Get-Ups in the squat rack than curls.

fos

I'd rather both find another space so that I can use the squat rack for squatting.  (Thankfully I'm a member of a gym that's open 24 hours, so when I'm there at silly early in the morning, I have free reign of the place)

10/17/12 10:39 AM
Leigh
622 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A workout doesn't have to be high intensity or grueling to be effective. It has to cause an adaption that leads towards meeting your goals
10/21/12 3:31 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking Americans and their silly workouts. Wear your socks to your knees and look very gay dancing around exercising. If you look to Crossfit as "functional exercise", you're solution is bulging discs and health issues with stupid circuit programs and no periodisation. Good luck Phone Post
10/22/12 10:27 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JFC1001 -  Fucking Americans and their silly workouts. Wear your socks to your knees and look very gay dancing around exercising. If you look to Crossfit as "functional exercise", you're solution is bulging discs and health issues with stupid circuit programs and no periodisation. Good luck Phone Post

I imagine the butthurt-ness in your tone is because you're English yet write with just as bad of grammar...oh and knee high socks for running is scientifically proven to help. Lay down the whiskey, son. 

10/24/12 1:19 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.