UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Can you run 5 km

9/20/12 9:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TerreM - 
turducken - i dont run very often, but i can run 3 miles at about a 7:45/mile pace fairly comfortably...that is not an easy pace for me, but its also not killer. if i was in a race or really had to push it, i could drop that to around 7:20 or so per mile.

if i am running 8:30/mile pace, i can basically run indefinitely, although i have never gone more than 6 miles due to boredom and a desire not to burn too many calories. i dont understand how people say they "run" at a 9-10min/mile pace(or slower)...i cant run that slow even when trying to...feels like i am not actually running but am rather doing some sort of weird movement that is a caricature of running.

I was thinking about how "running" is a relative term. What I used to call "running" seems like a slow shuffle/jog now. Nowadays I will run 8 miles in 1 hr for a good "run".

I was going to make a comment like this. For the last couple of years I was a jogger but this summer I found my running stride again. 
9/20/12 9:45 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

50 miles depending on the terrain. On a relatively flat course, I could probably go about 50 miles and still be ok the next day. Anything more than that, and I'd start getting beat up. Speed is relative too.

I went 26.5 miles with a 45 lbs backpack mixed with heavy odd object carries and calisthenics a couple saturdays ago. I'm doing a marathon tomorrow with about 15,000'-20,000' of elevation change.
9/20/12 9:52 PM
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus. You could be a member of Lewis and Clark's expedition. lol Phone Post
9/20/12 10:09 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha Naw, man. I'm small potatoes and not much of a runner. Kind of learned to like it a couple years ago and just keep upping the ante. Once you get your body used to running distance, it becomes more mental than physical. I've met dudes that do insane fucking shit that is absolutely mind blowing.

Like this guy: http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Grand-Teton-Record-Falls-Again.html

Fucking guy RAN to the summit of Grand Teton and back in 2 hours 53 minutes. That is about 18 miles, FOURTEEN THOUSAND FEET of elevation change with large boulder fields/tallus. 4,000' of that is actual technical rock climbing up cliffs or scrambling where a fall will most certainly kill you. All this up to an altitude of 13,770'. That's just insane.

I was on the mountain the weekend after him climbing it traditionally. That means a 7 mile 5,000' hike up 11,600', camp until 3am, wake up and climb 2,000' and then reverse it all back to the bottom. With rest stops, breaking camp, breakfast, and lunch that last day was about an 11.5 hour day. It was an easy pace, but it was still not painless, and I'm not a slouch. Under 3 hours for everything is hard to wrap my head around.
9/20/12 10:39 PM
turducken

what about ueli steck who climbed the north face of the eiger in 2 hours. i mean that is 6,000 vertical feet of difficult and dangerous technical climbing. that is fucking mindblowing fitness, skill and mental focus
9/20/12 10:58 PM
Adventure Runner

turducken - what about ueli steck who climbed the north face of the eiger in 2 hours. i mean that is 6,000 vertical feet of difficult and dangerous technical climbing. that is fucking mindblowing fitness, skill and mental focus

Haha. I'm such a fan boy I basically bought the entire Ueli Steck line that he just collaborated with Mountain Hardwear to create. Here's vid of the ascent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHlyjM_8_E

Definitely more impressive. I felt the Teton thing more fitting since it was more running. :) Btw, the Ueli Steck line is pretty good. The Quasar and Desna are my fave hard and soft shell now and take up a quarter of the space in my pack as my Tenacity and Denali.
9/20/12 11:59 PM
turducken

ueli is a badass. in my opinion, he is hands down the most fit person on the planet.
9/21/12 7:54 AM
Adventure Runner

You can make a case for that, but it depends on how fitness is defined. I doubt his powerlifting total is that high. :) The guy has insane levels of endurance. People see vids of him and guys like Alex Honnald and think they are only special because of their balls. Unless you've attempted some of the stuff they do, you have no idea how ungodly technically difficult it is and how much strength and endurance they have in order to climb at the paces they do. They make it look easy like a gymnast makes what they do look easy.
9/21/12 11:34 AM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/21/12 11:34 AM
I'd be pretty upset if i couldn't run a 5k.

At a jog idk how far i COULD go. The longest i've ever run non-stop is 9 miles (14.5K). I def could have kept going, but i got a little beat up from it.
9/21/12 1:08 PM
turducken

Adventure Runner - You can make a case for that, but it depends on how fitness is defined. I doubt his powerlifting total is that high. :) The guy has insane levels of endurance. People see vids of him and guys like Alex Honnald and think they are only special because of their balls. Unless you've attempted some of the stuff they do, you have no idea how ungodly technically difficult it is and how much strength and endurance they have in order to climb at the paces they do. They make it look easy like a gymnast makes what they do look easy.

powerlifting is so specialized though...and i think of fitness as a general term. when i say he is the most fit person on the planet i mean he has mindblowing endurance, conditioning, strength, mental toughness, etc. there is no more primal test of a person's mental and physical abilities than climbing a mountain, and he does the biggest, most dangerous and most technical routes lightyears faster than they have ever done before AND he does them in a pure way with no use of fixed ropes, bolts, pre-made snow trails, etc.

you are right about people not having a clue how PHYSICALLY difficult his feats are...if you watch that north face video and see the part where he is literally running along the snow ridge at the top, thats the part of the climb where the route joins the mittellegi ridge. that snow on the top of the ridge is fucking STEEP(the video really doesnt give good perspective here) and exposed like you have no fucking idea. scary as shit. lmfao @ being wacko enough to literally run up it, and to do so without a snow trail and steps already kicked in for you.
9/21/12 1:53 PM
dizz
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know very little about climbing, but it seems to me that you have to have a very particular bodytype in order to be elite at it

Is that a correct assumption?
9/21/12 2:20 PM
turducken

dizz - I know very little about climbing, but it seems to me that you have to have a very particular bodytype in order to be elite at it

Is that a correct assumption?

if you are talking about insanely technical sport climbs, then yes, you are not going to get to the 5.15 level unless you are built like a wiry flying squirrel.

but for general mountaineering and other climbing, no, you are not correct. body type doesn't matter, only physical fitness and mental strength. most are lean though...you burn INSANE amounts of calories climbing big mountains, so its hard to do so and maintain a big body mass.
9/21/12 3:13 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adventure Runner - Haha Naw, man. I'm small potatoes and not much of a runner. Kind of learned to like it a couple years ago and just keep upping the ante. Once you get your body used to running distance, it becomes more mental than physical. I've met dudes that do insane fucking shit that is absolutely mind blowing.

Like this guy: http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Grand-Teton-Record-Falls-Again.html

Fucking guy RAN to the summit of Grand Teton and back in 2 hours 53 minutes. That is about 18 miles, FOURTEEN THOUSAND FEET of elevation change with large boulder fields/tallus. 4,000' of that is actual technical rock climbing up cliffs or scrambling where a fall will most certainly kill you. All this up to an altitude of 13,770'. That's just insane.

I was on the mountain the weekend after him climbing it traditionally. That means a 7 mile 5,000' hike up 11,600', camp until 3am, wake up and climb 2,000' and then reverse it all back to the bottom. With rest stops, breaking camp, breakfast, and lunch that last day was about an 11.5 hour day. It was an easy pace, but it was still not painless, and I'm not a slouch. Under 3 hours for everything is hard to wrap my head around.
A guy I train with sometimes wife buckled at Badwater this year ... 135 miles thru Death Valley in July. People can do some incredible things. Phone Post
9/21/12 6:33 PM
Adventure Runner

turducken - 
Adventure Runner - You can make a case for that, but it depends on how fitness is defined. I doubt his powerlifting total is that high. :) The guy has insane levels of endurance. People see vids of him and guys like Alex Honnald and think they are only special because of their balls. Unless you've attempted some of the stuff they do, you have no idea how ungodly technically difficult it is and how much strength and endurance they have in order to climb at the paces they do. They make it look easy like a gymnast makes what they do look easy.

powerlifting is so specialized though...and i think of fitness as a general term. when i say he is the most fit person on the planet i mean he has mindblowing endurance, conditioning, strength, mental toughness, etc. there is no more primal test of a person's mental and physical abilities than climbing a mountain, and he does the biggest, most dangerous and most technical routes lightyears faster than they have ever done before AND he does them in a pure way with no use of fixed ropes, bolts, pre-made snow trails, etc.

you are right about people not having a clue how PHYSICALLY difficult his feats are...if you watch that north face video and see the part where he is literally running along the snow ridge at the top, thats the part of the climb where the route joins the mittellegi ridge. that snow on the top of the ridge is fucking STEEP(the video really doesnt give good perspective here) and exposed like you have no fucking idea. scary as shit. lmfao @ being wacko enough to literally run up it, and to do so without a snow trail and steps already kicked in for you.

And at altitude too!

It's really the mental part that impresses me though. There are a lot of amazing endurance athletes doing amazing things. To stay cool as a cucumber during those harrowing ascents or even running on exposed ridges like that is flat out impressive. My adrenaline would be dumping so hard, I'd be speaking in gibberish, and he's ho-hum'ing it.
9/21/12 6:35 PM
Adventure Runner

Kevin Curtis - 
Adventure Runner - Haha Naw, man. I'm small potatoes and not much of a runner. Kind of learned to like it a couple years ago and just keep upping the ante. Once you get your body used to running distance, it becomes more mental than physical. I've met dudes that do insane fucking shit that is absolutely mind blowing.

A guy I train with sometimes wife buckled at Badwater this year ... 135 miles thru Death Valley in July. People can do some incredible things. Phone Post

Badwater is no joke.
9/21/12 10:36 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The awesome thing about ultra endurance sports is the mental aspect. Because of the distances you're not going THAT fast compared to marathons, ironman, etc... where you truly need genetics and years of experience to do well. The ultra stuff you sometimes see guys come out of nowhere and do well.

In the last few months I've read Rich Roll's book (50 lbs overweight at 40 years old, a year or so later transformed and placed 11th? at ultraman, then in the top 10 the next year), and then Scott Jurek's (came out of obscurity and did very well his first western states 100, then dominated many major races). I don't think either one of these guys are physical freaks, it's just preparation and mental toughness.

I used to hate running, but lately I've grown to enjoy it. My IT band doesn't enjoy it though, damn thing is ruining my mojo.
9/22/12 6:28 AM
tiger07
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I timed my 5K run last night. Just under 20 mins. Was pushing it, though.
9/22/12 11:42 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to do Badwater, but my joints hate me.
9/22/12 2:49 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still setting PRs at age 70...

Santa Rosa's Arthur Webb on Tuesday became the first runner age 70 or older in Badwater Ultramarathon history to run the 135 miles from Death Valley to the Mt. Whitney Portal in less than 48 hours, covering the distance in 33 hours, 45 minutes.

"I did better than I thought I could do," said Webb, 70, a retired electrician for the Post Office. "This was my lofty goal. Nobody my age has done this."

Tuesday's time is also the fastest Webb has ever run Badwater, two minutes quicker than the time he posted in his second Badwater, 13 years ago.

This was Webb's 15th consecutive year running Badwater.
9/23/12 7:33 AM
Adventure Runner

Adventure Runner - 50 miles depending on the terrain. On a relatively flat course, I could probably go about 50 miles and still be ok the next day. Anything more than that, and I'd start getting beat up. Speed is relative too.

I went 26.5 miles with a 45 lbs backpack mixed with heavy odd object carries and calisthenics a couple saturdays ago. I'm doing a marathon tomorrow with about 15,000'-20,000' of elevation change.

Ugh. I got yanked off course for not making a time cutoff 12 hours in. I was 24+ miles in on a 27+ mile course, and I covered in the vicinity of 18,000' of elevation change and went through about 60+ obstacles. Oh well. Still a better a fun Saturday, and I was treated to some amazing views.
9/23/12 7:39 AM
Adventure Runner

big_slacker - The awesome thing about ultra endurance sports is the mental aspect. Because of the distances you're not going THAT fast compared to marathons, ironman, etc... where you truly need genetics and years of experience to do well. The ultra stuff you sometimes see guys come out of nowhere and do well.

In the last few months I've read Rich Roll's book (50 lbs overweight at 40 years old, a year or so later transformed and placed 11th? at ultraman, then in the top 10 the next year), and then Scott Jurek's (came out of obscurity and did very well his first western states 100, then dominated many major races). I don't think either one of these guys are physical freaks, it's just preparation and mental toughness.

I used to hate running, but lately I've grown to enjoy it. My IT band doesn't enjoy it though, damn thing is ruining my mojo.

I agree! A huge mental aspect. We were chuckling about that yesterday.

For your IT band, check out Active Release Technique. (art.com) Find an Ironman (I think that's what it's called) certified person in your area. That's their sports cert. It has literally changed my life. I went from chronic IT Band syndrome for years to no problems at all. I'll still get a flare up rarely, but one appointment and I'm totally fine to train again whereas before it'd be weeks. Now whenever I pick up a strain or sprain, I head in to get put back together.
9/23/12 7:39 AM
Adventure Runner

^ That's activerelease.com My B^
9/24/12 12:39 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, I'll check that out. It's incredibly frustrating. I've never been a "runner" but recently starting having fun with it and wanted to do it more then *BAM*, injury. Rest it, did stretche, got new shoes and first run back after 3 weeks I only got 6 miles in a there it goes again. Ugh.
9/24/12 7:41 AM
Adventure Runner

Yup. That's the way I was too. A good ART practitioner makes a world of difference. If your insurance covers chiro at all, then it will cover ART too.
9/24/12 10:08 AM
big_slacker

Awesome, there is a sport specific one with 2 docs just down the street from me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.