UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> AJ: UFC should have called me when Hendo got hurt

9/14/12 12:01 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Stephie Daniels did yet another must read interview for BloodyElbow, this time with Anthony Johnson. Excerpts appear below.

Stephie Daniels: Do you think Jake Rosholt who you fight on the 29th for the XFC promotion has any weapons that you really need to watch out for?

Anthony Johnson: No, because with the guys that I train with (Blackzilians), they make sure I'm ready for everything. I've got the best wrestling coach. I've got the best jiu jitsu coach. I've got the best striking coach. I've got the best team in the world. What is there for me to be worried about? That's not me being cocky, either. It's me being confident in my ability, my coaches and my team.

Working with Mario Sperry is amazing. He's not only a great coach, he's a great motivator. I hate jiu jitsu, but he makes me want to go out there and throw a triangle on somebody. I'm not good at it, but I'll damned sure try now, because Mario is in my corner. We have Babak at the gym as our wrestling coach, and his wrestling is beyond belief. His wrestling knowledge and techniques are so good. I'm confident that I can overcome any position I could possibly be in for this fight.

SD: If you secure the win over Jake, how many more fights at 205 do you think you'll need before making a bid to get back into the UFC?

AJ: I think I'm ready now. They should have called me when Dan Henderson got hurt. I would have taken that fight, no problem. I wouldn't have said no. I'll fight anybody. It doesn't matter when or where. They could throw me in with Joe Shmo, and I would fight him. It doesn't matter to me.

SD: What did you think of the 151 debacle, and more specifically, Jon Jones decision to not fight Chael Sonnen on eight days notice?

AJ: So many guys want to be champions, and they train and pray and damn near die to get in the position that he's in. When you get to that position, you're not supposed to say 'No' to competition. You're the champion for a reason. You're supposed to say, 'Ok, let's do it. I accept every challenge there is out there.' Who cares if it was eight days notice. You're supposed to be well prepared for everything, no matter what. That showed me that he wasn't prepared. He wasn't ready for whatever was going to be thrown at him. I personally think he was a little confused and shaken up by the whole situation, and seeing how Chael has great cardio, and continually moves forward, I think that worried Jon. Chael comes to fight. He doesn't play around. It is what it is, and only Jon and his trainers really know why they made that decision.

Read entire article...

9/14/12 12:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wiggum
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a ridiculous comment. Vitor beat him at what was essentially 205.
9/14/12 12:06 PM
PJ Benn Fan
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah right they should have called him.

Dude would probably show up and not even be able to make 205.

And I actually like AJ!

9/14/12 12:14 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He couldn't beat a physics teacher from Philly on short notice but she'll step in on short notice against Bones? Lol ok Phone Post
9/14/12 12:17 PM
da Vinci 81
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not really a fan of Johnson but this article is going to get a him a lot of unwarranted hate.

He's not really suggesting he deserved the call, only that he wouldn't have turned it down if they did call. Phone Post
9/14/12 12:23 PM
wiggum
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 -  I'm not really a fan of Johnson but this article is going to get a him a lot of unwarranted hate.

He's not really suggesting he deserved the call, only that he wouldn't have turned it down if they did call. Phone Post

You may actually be right.
9/14/12 12:24 PM
Kirik
1679 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
 Great interview by Stephie Daniels.
9/14/12 12:25 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - I'm not really a fan of Johnson but this article is going to get a him a lot of unwarranted hate.

I don't blame AJ for wishing they had called him, but he just doesn't have the name or trust from the UFC to make weight. That's the thing I'm worried he doesn't get. The UFC needs to feel like they can trust him Phone Post
9/14/12 12:28 PM
nomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty sure he is on the "Do Not Call" list.

Although I do like him. Especially at a real weight.
9/14/12 12:29 PM
UGCTT_Gaspare
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know im not a big AJ fan, but I 100% agree with him and he just made me like him abit more....now only if he can stay on weight Phone Post
9/14/12 12:30 PM
Gatorade
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum - 
da Vinci 81 -  I'm not really a fan of Johnson but this article is going to get a him a lot of unwarranted hate.

did either of you even read the interview?

SD: how many more fights at 205 do you think you'll need before making a bid to get back into the UFC?

AJ: I think I'm ready now. They should have called me when Dan Henderson got hurt.

9/14/12 12:32 PM
Chris27

Rumble will be back in the UFC as a LHW soon but lol at calling him to fight Jones. Come on Rumble.
9/14/12 12:50 PM
da Vinci 81
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gatorade -
wiggum - 

did either of you even read the interview?

SD: how many more fights at 205 do you think you'll need before making a bid to get back into the UFC?

AJ: I think I'm ready now. They should have called me when Dan Henderson got hurt.

So what? He says he's ready to fight in the UFC, what fighter wouldn't say that? Especially one who has fought and had success there already. It's just confidence, not entitlement. I'm sure he knows he has work to do before he gets another chance. Phone Post
9/14/12 12:58 PM
3 Sided Square
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is where print interviews don't always give the full context. He could have said it not jokingly per se, but possible the Henderson part was a bit facetious. I think he just wants to be back.
9/14/12 1:03 PM
wink91wink

Saying he was "manhandled" by either Vitor or Kos is ludicris. Kos poked him in the eye twice, in a fight that Rumble was arguably winning, and I don't see any way possible you can see Vitor "manhandled" him in their fight.
9/14/12 1:08 PM
I Only Date Brothaz
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im sorry, how about showing some more at LHW first, since he has an abyssmal 40% weight limit failure rate in his last 10 fights or so prior. This is like Paul Daley calling out GSP.
9/14/12 1:32 PM
SQUEEZIE

Edited: 09/14/12 1:33 PM
they got the guy who put u to sleep instead, and im a rumble fan too...but how is going to talk about someone not being prepared?
9/14/12 1:58 PM
Stunpals
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  Great interview by Stephie Daniels.

Wrong. It is factually incorrect. Rumble Johnson fights Jake Rosholt on Friday, September 21st at Xtreme Fight Night.

You should know, I send you the press releases.

I don't know where she made up those dates and promotional letters.

theokug.com for live fight blog the night of...

xflfights.com for more information.
9/14/12 2:09 PM
dead_man_walking

I think he ment to be on the under card, his fights aren't boring (other than the dan hardy fight) why shouldn't he be in the ufc.
9/14/12 2:11 PM
Sabaki
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah right - because on so short notice AJ sure as hell would have no problem making weight....

Nice way to get some attention to a almost dead career (UFC wise)
9/14/12 2:12 PM
PatsBarriesGotKongo

Call him for what exactly? A pie eating contest? Phone Post
9/14/12 2:12 PM
stonepony

Anthony misses weight by 50lbs when he has a full camp to prepare.
9/14/12 6:16 PM
Crooklyn
700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!
Stunpals - 
Kirik -  Great interview by Stephie Daniels.

Wrong. It is factually incorrect. Rumble Johnson fights Jake Rosholt on Friday, September 21st at Xtreme Fight Night.

You should know, I send you the press releases.

I don't know where she made up those dates and promotional letters.

theokug.com for live fight blog the night of...

xflfights.com for more information.

My apologies. I have edited the piece to reflect the change, and for the record, I got those "made up" dates and letters from AJ, himself.  
9/14/12 6:21 PM
Chhem
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never liked aj. Fighting smaller guys to get an advantage. What does that say of a person. That's why I love Edgar. He fights guys bigger than him and shows a lot of heart. Aj is the opposite of that. Phone Post
9/14/12 7:02 PM
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.