UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> Am I Too Old To Start/Learn a Trade?

9/14/12 12:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Your Arsonist
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I posted this in the UG, it was recommended I move it here...

I'm 27 years old, and looking to start a new chapter in life. Been running the family restaurant for about 7 years and its just not what I want to do. Soon to be engaged and me and the lady are talking about a relocation. Seriously feeling a strong desire to learn a solid trade such as Welding or Electrical. Dad was a master electrician and a contractor so I've done "helper" type stuff my whole life, the work required is something I understand and I have the work ethic. I am just worried that I may be too old to just now become certified in a new trade and be successful, is this a valid feeling or should I give it a go? Can I go to my local comm. college and get the certifications and it be enough to get me started and be able to earn a slightly decent wage at first? or do I need the Welding or Electrical 2 year degree? I like both, I have an interest in both, I would choose to pursue the more beneficial career at this point though.

More people I talk to seem to be encouraging welding over elec. engineering...any reason for this I don't know about?
9/14/12 11:08 PM
TerrySilver
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good topic i'd like to know as well. i think welding may be more in demand with less people in that field maybe.
9/20/12 3:16 PM
supersaiyan

welders overall are a shorter and more convenient learning curve as opposed to engineering
10/1/12 5:37 PM
DirkH
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets see....age 27....if you go to school for 4 years, then you will be 31....if you don't go to school in 4 years you will still be 31. Kind of a no brainer.

I'm not saying 4 year college, that's an option, but not the only option. You will earn far more money by spending 6 months learning to weld or going to nursing school than 4 years getting a history/anthropology/art/English degree.

If you go to school, just make sure to actualy check the help wanted adds FIRST.
11/30/12 2:27 AM
Jons Forsberg

"Am I Too Old To Start/Learn a Trade?

I'm 27 years old"

stop reading right there, you're not too old but you might be a too stupid.
12/7/12 10:34 PM
OneScoup

Thinking you're too old at 27 tells me you're a very pessimistic person, who oftentimes has a self defeating attitude. This is probably your biggest issue. First off I'd work on a better, Can-Do Attitude.

But it's never to old to learn a skill, and there is no age limit to changing careers. The day you stop learning is the day your career will take a downward spiral. Never stop learning, never stop trying to attain the next level.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.