UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Talk supplements to me?

9/16/12 7:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ian King
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a 5'10 145er, and my walk-around weight is fairly low, I have a fairly fast metabolism, and have had a difficult time adding mass. Any suggestions for supplements or supplement stacks to help me gain lean mass? I'm feeling like I need to either gain some mass, or consider moving to 135.
9/16/12 7:33 AM
Spartan79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eat a lot. Start with Protein, Creatine , glutamine and a good muti vit. Phone Post
9/16/12 7:48 AM
Ian King
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do eat a lot, and have a high protein intake. I also train 5 nights a week most weeks, and I seem to burn it off. Maybe my perception of what "a lot" of food is. What kind of caloric intake are you talking?
9/16/12 9:26 AM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try supplementing with pizza and chocolate milk. Phone Post
9/16/12 2:23 PM
Ian King

Leigh - Try supplementing with pizza and chocolate milk. Phone Post
Sometimes I try to drink a quart of chocolate milk as a pre workout ritual. Nothing makes the other fighters fear you like the possibility of you hitting them with the chocolate yawn. Phone Post
9/16/12 2:40 PM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, have it PW Phone Post
9/16/12 4:56 PM
Ian King

Any insights as to the type of creatine and protein I should be looking for? Phone Post
9/16/12 5:04 PM
Leigh

Pointless unless you're eating loads (in your case). If you want to get bigger and stronger, you must eat. And lift heavy. The GOMAD is not particularly healthy but it works. Phone Post
9/16/12 6:03 PM
NeoSpartan
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TL;DR: eat double the portions you are now.

Keep a food log... record exactly what you're eating for one week. If you can record your macronutrients (protein carbs fat) that would be ideal. If you're not losing weight then you're maintaining so just add 800-1000 more calories to what you're currently eating. Guarantee it's not what you're thinking and you need about double what you're currently eating.

Pre Training:
A 50g protein shake approx. hour before training should be about 300 calories. I wouldn't make this your ONLY pre training feeding (definitely need some carbs or fat, preferably both as an energy source).

Post Training:
A 50g protein shake after training with a quart of chocolate milk (add 1-2 table spoon of extra virgin olive oil to the milk if you want, a good brand will be flavorless) and 3 boiled eggs should top you off pretty well.

If you need more calories the "post training" portion can be done immediately after a substantial breakfast.
9/16/12 6:10 PM
NeoSpartan
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also...this isn't very healthy...but because (as most MMA fighters) you train in the evening and probably don't get home till 8 or 9 you NEED to eat something BIG and slow digesting. Because a protein shake and then an 8 hour fast during the night isn't going to help very much. Pizza works. A steak is better. Just eating a FUCKLOAD works as well. I"m pretty opposed to interrupting your sleep to get a night feeding in (unless you're one of those people that wake up anyway) but adding some oil to your protein will slow the digestion and make you feel full and sated during the night. You'll have a steady 'drip' of amino acids into your blood stream and that's what you want.

I noticed personally that a lot of mma guys lose weight because they get home and go straight to bed or something. If you just spent the last 2-3hrs doing straight up met-con and now your body is starved for nutrients the last thing you want to do is starve it AGAIN till breakfast.
9/16/12 6:17 PM
Leigh

Agree. Not eating after training is part of my weight loss plan Phone Post
9/17/12 2:39 AM
BALLSDEEP
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eat everything NOT nailed down.
9/17/12 2:56 AM
Chocolate Shatner
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously, GOMAD, or just any fucking thing you can get your hands on. I had a Japanese kid who was similar to you. Younger of course, high school freshman, taught him English. Comes to me one week bummed out. His coach benched him because the kid couldn't keep weight on (this was basketball, but the kid was super skinny). Coach told the kid for his long term health that he wasn't going to let the boy play until he could maintain a body weight of 60 kilos (about 135 pounds).

Kid was practically in tears man. Telling me all about how he was getting his mom to go buy creatine and supplements and shit. I talked to the mom, told her to skip all that. Go to the supermarket next door to my school instead, and spend 200 yen. Go buy a 100 yen bag of "digestive biscuits" which are basically animal crackers, and a 98 yen liter carton of milk (they don't sell gallons in Japan). Repeat that every day until the kid starts gaining weight.

Mom comes to me the very next week saying the kid was being allowed to practice again. I told her to just reduce the intake to only the milk, and see if the kid would stabilize at 60 kilos.

Kid played the whole rest of the season.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.