UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Switching from starting strength to...

9/16/12 2:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMA_KNOWLEDGE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/3/1. I have been doing SS 1 or 2 days a week for several months and am back to within about 5-10% of my previous max workout weights. I have also been doing some type of circuit with kettle bell or plyos on the weekends to keep my muscular endurance decent.

I am wanting to switch to 5/3/1 twice a week and still do the circuit thing once a week. The only exercises that I was doing with SS was Squats, Bench, Deadlift, Press, Cleans and then either Pullups or dips tacked on at the end depending on the day.

With 5/3/1 it looks like I will need a gym. I have a squat rack and bench at the house but don't have anything for most of the accessory exercises. Does anyone have their days organized so that I won't need any additional equipment or a gym? Phone Post
9/16/12 3:05 PM
Leigh
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't do accessory work when I did 531. Phone Post
9/16/12 3:48 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

It looks like some do high rep body weight stuff along with it. I may do that but lower volume than what I saw. Phone Post
9/16/12 6:18 PM
NeoSpartan
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't need anything additional for 5/3/1. Just address your weaknesses with the equipment your currently have. Adapt.

What accessory exercises were you thinking about doing to address your weaknesses that you can't solve with a barbell?
- The boring but big protocal simply calls for you to use the same barbell lifts as your accessory lifts. So 5x10 squats, deads, OH press, and bench.
- If you're doing chins and dips boom your upperbody accessory work is done, get a chain & a caribiner, add weight.
- Lower body? front squats, Good mornings glute bridges, or RDLs. Anything else is just a work-a-round for the injured.
9/16/12 11:51 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

NeoSpartan - You don't need anything additional for 5/3/1. Just address your weaknesses with the equipment your currently have. Adapt.

What accessory exercises were you thinking about doing to address your weaknesses that you can't solve with a barbell?
- The boring but big protocal simply calls for you to use the same barbell lifts as your accessory lifts. So 5x10 squats, deads, OH press, and bench.
- If you're doing chins and dips boom your upperbody accessory work is done, get a chain & a caribiner, add weight.
- Lower body? front squats, Good mornings glute bridges, or RDLs. Anything else is just a work-a-round for the injured.
Thanks... Dips, Pullups, front squats and RDL sound great. Phone Post
9/16/12 11:51 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

Would light cleans be a good idea? Phone Post
9/17/12 6:49 AM
Chocolate Shatner
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd just do some Split Squats and RDL's for the lower body, and you are money. 5/3/1 can be done using the equipment you have, I have done it.
9/17/12 9:45 PM
NeoSpartan
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea I'd rotate hip bridges, split squats (thanks CS), and bent rows in there as well. You can alternate them weekly or just use them in your next 3-4week cycle.

I'd do the hip bridges for sure. They're a great exercise and since you train at home you can do them without looking like an ass.

You DEFINITELY need to do rows to stay healthy as you bench. I might even double up on them and throw them in after deadlifts if I'm feeling good that day.

I'd attempt the system as is for one cycle (3-4weeks) before you add in any cleans.

Also if you want to continue having a conditioning day I would split the training week

Day 1: Upper (OH Press or Bench)
Day 2: Lower (Deadlift or Squat)
Day 3: Conditioning (Madness)

Then don't include a deload week and just keep cycling through your %s.

Coach Pendlay also has some interesting ideas for planning conditioning-

http://www.pendlay.com/MMA-Strength-Training-and-Conditioning_df_91.html

9/17/12 9:51 PM
NeoSpartan

Sorry I meant to add that I'd run through one cycle before I add in any cleans but yes they're fine to do. Would be a nice part of your warmup, but no need to get crazy with them right away. If you really feel comfortable with them, then sure add them in before you squat.

But when in doubt, less is more.
9/17/12 11:10 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

Awesome info... Thanks! Phone Post
9/18/12 12:54 AM
orcus

Leigh -  I didn't do accessory work when I did 531. Phone Post

No rows, pullups, or anything for upper back? 
9/18/12 3:05 AM
Leigh
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did weighted pull ups as part of my 5-3-1. Phone Post
9/18/12 11:06 AM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

Leigh - I didn't do accessory work when I did 531. Phone Post
Did you do the Big but Biring type of routine? Phone Post
9/18/12 12:14 PM
HERTSWENIP
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA_KNOWLEDGE - 
Leigh - I didn't do accessory work when I did 531. Phone Post
Did you do the Big but Biring type of routine? Phone Post

lol@leigh doing more than one rep per week.
9/18/12 12:47 PM
Leigh

Hertswenip is correct. I certainly did not do boring but big. Phone Post
9/18/12 12:48 PM
Out To Lunch
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you rep out on the main lifts? Or just hit the rep minimums?
9/19/12 3:15 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

My plan now is the following assistance exercise:
Press: dips 4x12, chinups 3x5 weighted
Deadlift: good mornings 5x10, hanging leg raises 3x20
Bench: pushups 3x25, pullups 3x5 weighted
Squat: front squat or lunges 5x10, glute ham raises 5x10

I may switch these out if I can buy a roman chair. Phone Post
9/19/12 4:38 PM
Leigh

Out To Lunch -

Did you rep out on the main lifts? Or just hit the rep minimums?
I repped out mate. Like taku, I believe in intensity over volume, so I almost always train to failure. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.