UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Catch Wrestling Sub question?

9/16/12 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Baki
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For those of you who practice Catch Wrestling,

is there a set of submissions, or a position from which submissions are preformed, that is the focal point of Catch submissions? Legs over arms? Chokes over joints? Cross-body over back, mount, etc?

I've always wondered what the preferred philosophy of submisions is in Catch Wrestling.

Looking forward to your input,

Baki
9/27/12 1:45 PM
Victor Parlati

The original term, "catch as catch can" wrestling, meant this:

CATCH ANY HOLD YOU CAN.

Catch will attack any part of the opponents' body that's available at any given moment - which is why there are so many submissions in cacc.

Various arm locks, shoulder locks, elbow locks, leg and ankle locks, toe holds, achilles locks, body locks, face locks, neck cranks, chokes, everything.
9/27/12 10:59 PM
nowaydo
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The whole body is a submission waiting to happen.
10/1/12 12:11 AM
ReneH

Over the years I have gravitated to what I was taught in terms of working the principlas of CACC on your opponent. One of the things I was taught to do early on is to grapevine a limb or limbs with your legs, while working a limb of your opponent with two of your limbs.

Case in point, from top cross mount, I grapevine one arm by using either one of my legs or switching between the two. While doing so I am free to work on the other limb with two of mine, perhaps I'll try to finalize a cicken wing of some kind (reverse, etc). The theory behind that is that I can tire and trap one of the arms with my legs, which are the strongest, all the while I use my hips to crush my opponents upper body. At the same time, I can use the strenght and added weight of my two arms against my opponents one arm. I have more power this way too.

While I work the opponents arm I do so by "riding" the arm as a whole, just like a wrestler rides his opponent in a match. I "ride" the arm in such a way that I put the opponent in a position where he will soon tire or make a mistake and I capitalize on a finish or "catch" a hold when everything falls into place.

There are other principals of course but this is good starting point if you are looking for more than just collect the next catch move. The locks and submissions by themselves are good, but there are principlas, as in other grappling arts, that make the execution and finish happen more smoothly.
10/3/12 2:48 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can also win by pin in a catch match correct?  That in itself would open up a whole bunch of attacks as the guy scrambles to stay off his back. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.