UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Catch Wrestling Sub Question?

9/16/12 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Baki
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For those of you who practice Catch Wrestling,

is there a set of submissions, or a position from which submissions are preformed, that is the focal point of Catch submissions? Legs over arms? Chokes over joints? Cross-body over back, mount, etc?

I've always wondered what the preferred philosophy of submisions is in Catch Wrestling.

Looking forward to your input,

Baki
9/18/12 9:34 AM
RhinoBJJ_NUniao
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The point is to not really have a focused singular spot, but to "catch" whatever is available. But, from what I did in the years before doing gi BJJ, our coach (catch guy) preferred set ups from a high side/north south position. Allows for tons of crank/chokes/arm subs. Phone Post
9/21/12 7:08 PM
e. kaye

Catch has definite structure just like BJJ.   There is a specific posture for each position.   Just as in BJJ that is the starting point.   If you do not start off with the correct posture and pressure, not thing good is going to happen.   Catch just does it differently from BJJ.  
9/22/12 7:33 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I went to a catch seminar, they mostly focused on bent arm locks from side mount or north/south with most of the subs from north/south. YMMV.
9/24/12 10:02 AM
e. kaye

That was one seminar.  There are subs from every position, just like any other grappling art.
9/25/12 12:04 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

e. kaye -  That was one seminar.  There are subs from every position, just like any other grappling art.

Hence me putting YMMV at the end of the sentence. Your Mileage May Vary.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.