UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> 6 weeks out, what to do?

9/17/12 1:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
neongreenlights
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6 weeks until a grappling competition. Should I just stick with working on some rolling, drills, and basic calisthenics or is there a better route?

Thank you
9/17/12 3:14 AM
Leigh
717 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are you weaknesses? You small for the weight? Cardio and strength where you want them? If everything is in place, yeah lots of drilling and rolling. Phone Post
9/17/12 6:43 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Build a time machine out of mud, sticks and gumption

2. Go back in time 2 weeks, then check out 8weeksout.com

3. ???

4. Profit
9/17/12 1:31 PM
jamtmann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My suggestion:
1. Keep rolling/practicing and work on strategy that fits your style.
2. Metabolic conditioning - add conditioning that will increase your blood lactic acid levels - grappling specific interval training combining various exercises and grappling specific movements as well as actual grappling for the purpose of conditioning.

You can improve your grappling endurance significantly in 6 weeks with metabolic conditioning 3 days/week at about 30 minutes per session combined with your grappling practice.

9/17/12 5:51 PM
Leigh
717 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lactic acid you say...? Phone Post
9/17/12 7:53 PM
william795
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My opinion:

2-3x a week: Light warmup. Weight you can do 6x. Do 3 sets, 3 reps of Bench, Rows, Squats. Don't even get close to failure. Should feel pretty easy. You don't want DOMS. Purely maintain strength.

3x a week: Work on getting your 5k running time as low as you can. Take easy days when you need them (jogging pace).

Focus on grappling!

No sprints, no intense weightlifting/circuits/etc.

Just my opinion.
9/17/12 10:09 PM
neongreenlights
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol at 419

*just need a delorean and some garbage

My biggest weakness is muscle endurance, I get the burning sensation and fatigue too fast. Strength is decent, no heavy breathing during rolling, average speed/quickness

9/17/12 10:15 PM
william795
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long have you been grappling? What belt? Have you ever lifted weights? What's your experience lifting and running? What's your height/weight?
9/17/12 10:17 PM
neongreenlights

Just got back into it last week. Blue belt, 187lbs, 6 2', lifted weights and ran off and on, as well as took boxing classes
9/17/12 10:19 PM
william795

I ask how long you've been doing it because a lot of the muscle endurance (burning) in grappling can be from inexperience. Holding things too tight and long, etc.
9/17/12 10:19 PM
neongreenlights

had a five year span of no grappling, until last week.
9/17/12 10:20 PM
william795

How much time did you have off?
9/17/12 10:25 PM
william795

Cool. I honestly think that JUST grappling will iron out a lot of your issues. Put in most of your time on the mat and what I was saying earlier about running and lifting. Six weeks of consistent rolling will be great.
9/17/12 11:51 PM
neongreenlights

Cool thanks for the advice!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.