UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> Ever train at:

9/17/12 12:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Canadian_26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone ever train at evolution MMA in ancaster or pura bjj in Hamilton? Thoughts? Phone Post
9/17/12 1:18 PM
rorymcd
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pura BJJ is a top notch training facility. Multiple black belts instructing, and they were the first ever affiliate with the Mendes bros. You'd be hard pressed to find a better BJJ club period.
9/17/12 4:55 PM
Canadian_26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the input! I'll check them out! Phone Post
9/25/12 11:12 AM
Dougie
987 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

P.J.!!!
9/25/12 3:57 PM
Grinder416
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rorymcd - Pura BJJ is a top notch training facility. Multiple black belts instructing, and they were the first ever affiliate with the Mendes bros. You'd be hard pressed to find a better BJJ club period.

I though Pura was a Machado school, since when are they Mendes bros affiliated?
9/26/12 9:43 AM
Phil999

From their website:

Pura BJJ's chief instructor PJ O'Sullivan recieved his black belt from Jean Jacques Machado in 2009.
Lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda --> Carlos Gracie --> Carlos Gracie Jr --> Jean Jacques Machado --> PJ O'Sullivan

At Pura BJJ, in Hamilton, ON we are led by a team of fantastic instructors who follow the teachings of multi-time World Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu champions Rafael and Guilherme Mendes.
9/27/12 2:31 PM
heatmeiser

How is Joslins for mma? Thinking about doing something for me once the kids are in daycare. Phone Post
9/27/12 3:25 PM
k1levelstriking
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

heatmeiser - How is Joslins for mma? Thinking about doing something for me once the kids are in daycare. Phone Post
Best around. Jeff's the man, there can be some trane UFC guys in the beginner classes at times but that's the case everywhere. High level BJJ instruction everyday, MMA class every Monday and Saturday, kickboxing, boxing, and also judo every Friday and Sunday. Mats are also washed 2x per day and prices are reasonable Phone Post
9/27/12 3:59 PM
heatmeiser

Thanks K1 Phone Post
9/28/12 10:33 PM
Rusty Shackleford
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

k1levelstriking -
heatmeiser - How is Joslins for mma? Thinking about doing something for me once the kids are in daycare. Phone Post
Best around. Jeff's the man, there can be some trane UFC guys in the beginner classes at times but that's the case everywhere. High level BJJ instruction everyday, MMA class every Monday and Saturday, kickboxing, boxing, and also judo every Friday and Sunday. Mats are also washed 2x per day and prices are reasonable Phone Post
I just started here. So far I've just done kickboxing but I'm really impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone is there Phone Post
9/29/12 3:50 PM
k1levelstriking
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rusty Shackleford -
k1levelstriking -
I just started here. So far I've just done kickboxing but I'm really impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone is there Phone Post
Good stuff. Hope you enjoy it, and hope you find yourself in the Gi soon :) Phone Post
9/29/12 5:58 PM
Rusty Shackleford
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

k1levelstriking -
Rusty Shackleford -
k1levelstriking -
Good stuff. Hope you enjoy it, and hope you find yourself in the Gi soon :) Phone Post
It's definitely something I plan on trying out. Phone Post
10/1/12 9:39 AM
Phil999

Rusty Shackleford - 
k1levelstriking -
Rusty Shackleford -
k1levelstriking -
It's definitely something I plan on trying out. Phone Post

Be prepared to become addicted. :)
10/1/12 9:41 AM
Phil999

"Mats are also washed 2x per day"

How many places do that?

That's an important thing that most beginner's wouldn't pay attention to.
10/1/12 9:48 AM
k1levelstriking

Phil999 - "Mats are also washed 2x per day"

How many places do that?

I think it's crucial, I've trained at a place where I spent more time out with impetigo then I did actually training and I shower before and after training, with defense soap etc Phone Post
10/3/12 5:01 PM
DefenseSoap
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Defense Soap, Owner
k1levelstriking

If at all possible try not showering before you train. When you do you are stripping your body of its normal flora which is your natural protection from infection.

Guy
Defense Soap
10/3/12 5:28 PM
k1levelstriking

DefenseSoap - k1levelstriking

If at all possible try not showering before you train. When you do you are stripping your body of its normal flora which is your natural protection from infection.

Guy
Defense Soap
Thanks for the heads up Guy, appreciate it, I'll be sure to drop some more money on your awesome products :) Phone Post
10/3/12 6:05 PM
BALEIA
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grinder416 "I though Pura was a Machado school, since when are they Mendes bros affiliated?"

At Pura, the head instructor PJ is a black belt under Jean Jaques Machado. We were affiliated with Machado team for about a year. Since switching affiliations to the Mendes Bros...the school has grown by leaps and bounds. PuraBJJ is the fastest growing BJJ school in the area and has had amazing tournament results in the local BJJ/Grappling scene. 1st Place overall at NAGA and 2nd Place at Toronto IBJJF Open. Not bad for a club that started less than 3 years ago with only 4 friends rolling.

The best advice someone could give you though, is to try each for yourself. Both Joslins and Pura are great.
10/3/12 6:08 PM
BALEIA
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.purabjj.com/blog/
10/3/12 9:43 PM
Dougie
987 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil999 - "Mats are also washed 2x per day"

How many places do that?

Hear hear!

10/4/12 6:27 PM
Grinder416

BALEIA - Grinder416 "I though Pura was a Machado school, since when are they Mendes bros affiliated?"

At Pura, the head instructor PJ is a black belt under Jean Jaques Machado. We were affiliated with Machado team for about a year. Since switching affiliations to the Mendes Bros...the school has grown by leaps and bounds. PuraBJJ is the fastest growing BJJ school in the area and has had amazing tournament results in the local BJJ/Grappling scene. 1st Place overall at NAGA and 2nd Place at Toronto IBJJF Open. Not bad for a club that started less than 3 years ago with only 4 friends rolling.

The best advice someone could give you though, is to try each for yourself. Both Joslins and Pura are great.

Is it common for ju jitsu black belts to switch teams after receiving there black belt from someone else? I come from a wrestling background so I'm not sure how it works.

After doing all his training to get his black belt with the Machado guys what would be the reason for the change?
10/5/12 9:37 AM
Dougie

I don't know but I would imagine that some organizations provide a better fit or support for their affiliate schools perhaps?

10/5/12 8:29 PM
k1levelstriking

PJ and everyone at Pura are great and deserve their success, dedicated bunch of guys Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.