UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dan Hardy: I want to save MMA from TUF

9/17/12 12:29 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Stephie Daniels does it again - this is another must read interview if you care about mixed martial arts.

Dan Hardy fights Amir Sadollah in two weeks at UFC on FUEL 5, but found time to talk with Daniels about what will be the most important fight of his career, the value of losing, and saving MMA from The Ultimate Fighter.

Stephie Daniels: You had a bumpy road for a while, then you broke the cycle with your knockout win over Duane Ludwig. Do you feel more pressure to win this fight, to keep the streak going?

Dan Hardy: Absolutely. It would almost invalidate the last win if this next one didn't go my way, particularly with it being in my home town. I have a lot of good memories from fights in my home town, and this one will be the biggest and best one of all. This is going to be the most important win for my career. I really need to perform, not only to show that I can win again, but that I can win impressively, as well. I need to show that I'm still moving forward, and that I still have a place in the division.

SD: For as long as I've known you, you've always been single minded in your purpose. It's always been about getting the title. Now, you seem to be taking things in smaller increments, in a step by step process. With a win over Amir, what would be the next step you would want to take?

DH: You know, there is one thing that I would like to do. I was watching the previews for the new Ultimate Fighter, and after watching that preview, I would like to go on that show and be a coach, just to try and save the sport from that show. I love the UFC and I love mixed martial arts, and martial arts in general, but that show is killing us. They fill a house with a bunch of guys that act like jackasses, and expect them to come out as mixed martial artists on the other end.

This is your six weeks to create a filter that everyone will look through for when they meet you in the future. If you're smashing things into the kitchen wall and yelling at people and throwing beds into the pool, every time somebody meets you, regardless of how much time has passed, they're going to look at you through that filter of that douchebag that they saw on that TV show. The problem is that people are watching this and thinking that's the UFC, and that's not the UFC. That's not me. I'm not like that. That is as far away from me as could possibly be, and I hate that I am connected to that by default through the sport.

It's not an accurate representation of the sport. I know hundreds of fighters all around the world that are sensible and disciplined and professional. They conduct themselves well, and converse well. Then, you've got these kids on the show, acting like lunatics, and making us all look bad, because that is a lot of people's first contact with the sport. Even if I were to get on that show and spend six weeks trying to convert these kids, and it not work, at least people will be able to tune in and watch the show and know what a professional mixed martial artist is like, and that he's trying to educate these kids and turn them into pros, as well. I would love to coach TUF, just to make a last stand for the reputation of MMA.

Read entire interview...
Read part 1 of the interview...

9/17/12 12:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good Interview.

Ive become a Dan Hardy fan since the Lytle fight.
9/17/12 12:33 PM
Standup29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great Job Steph!

Can I call you Steph or is it Miss Daniels. Or just plain ol Crooklyn?

:) Phone Post
9/17/12 12:58 PM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hardy's bright red mohawk would fit right in.
9/17/12 1:00 PM
Thevelourfog
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could not be more true!
TUF really looks like a d-bag parade this time round.
Hope it was just the previews, in attempt to pull in the 'bro crowd. Phone Post
9/17/12 1:01 PM
Blott Scevins
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Standup29 - Great Job Steph!

Can I call you Steph or is it Miss Daniels. Or just plain ol Crooklyn?

:) Phone Post
Call her whatever you like. It's the Internet, dweeb. Phone Post
9/17/12 1:02 PM
forumnewb

Thevelourfog -  Could not be more true!
TUF really looks like a d-bag parade this time round.
Hope it was just the previews, in attempt to pull in the 'bro crowd. Phone Post

9/17/12 1:03 PM
ElTriangulo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan has been in the states for too long. He's started using words like "jackass" and "douchebag"

And by saying he's wanting to actually coach the guys on TUF he's signed away his chances of being a coach
9/17/12 1:04 PM
Crooklyn
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!
Thanks so much for the props, and thanks again to the UG News blog for putting some attention on my work. 
9/17/12 1:13 PM
RIPBILLHICKS
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan Hardy is correct.
9/17/12 1:41 PM
Ryan Wood
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great points raised by Dan. The montage at the end of the first episode made me not want to watch this season at all. Combine that with the fact that it airs at 1am on The Score in Canada and it looks like I will be skipping out on this one. 

I typically haven't watched TUF over the years due to the high level of douchiness I'd see whenever I'd tune in. Last season seemed like a step in the right direction, as it appeared to focus more on the training and development of the fighters rather than the shenanigans. 

Unlimited supply of alcohol + high functioning retards locked together in a house doesn't = MMA to me. Trash tv, no thanks. 
9/17/12 1:48 PM
3rdLion
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan Wood - Great points raised by Dan. The montage at the end of the first episode made me not want to watch this season at all. Combine that with the fact that it airs at 1am on The Score in Canada and it looks like I will be skipping out on this one. 

I typically haven't watched TUF over the years due to the high level of douchiness I'd see whenever I'd tune in. Last season seemed like a step in the right direction, as it appeared to focus more on the training and development of the fighters rather than the shenanigans. 

Unlimited supply of alcohol + high functioning retards locked together in a house doesn't = MMA to me. Trash tv, no thanks. 
This.

I'm excited for the England vs. Australia TUF though, great fighters in there. Phone Post
9/17/12 2:21 PM
Crooklyn
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!
Bump 
9/17/12 2:25 PM
fourozgloves
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice work Crook, one of the best MMA writers around.
Also I agree with Hardy completely about TUF. Phone Post
9/17/12 3:42 PM
Chris27

Ryan Wood - Great points raised by Dan. The montage at the end of the first episode made me not want to watch this season at all. Combine that with the fact that it airs at 1am on The Score in Canada and it looks like I will be skipping out on this one. 

This is what you get.

You get all the in house bullshit, douche idiots like Junie and jerking off and pissing in food and people complain.

So they go in a new direction, you didnt see much of that in recent seasons and last season when they went live it was all about training and what did fans say? Its boring.

So they show the in house bullshit and fans complain its not about the sport and training and showing that stuff, they go away from the bullshit and fans dont tune in and say the show is boring.

9/17/12 3:48 PM
Pancake Syrup
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 -  Hardy's bright red mohawk would fit right in.

He gets a pass because he has had it for a while and well he is fucking Dan Hardy
9/17/12 4:06 PM
Bounty Hunter

i agree with hardy
9/17/12 4:08 PM
Belcherz_Twister

It's true - cards are being flooded w/ half rate TUF fighters. Point is UFC is trying to milk TUF for all the $$ it's worth. Problem is same thing show after show, nothing really new there. Could do without all the drama, just bring the fights "Bellator style" and away with the drama.
9/17/12 4:12 PM
X_Rated
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pancake Syrup -
Steve4192 -  Hardy's bright red mohawk would fit right in.

He gets a pass because he has had it for a while and well he is fucking Dan Hardy
Ahaha this! Well said Phone Post
9/17/12 4:16 PM
Big Pun
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/17/12 4:18 PM
It's just funny to see an undercard level (at best) guy saying other guys aren't very good. The guy has one win in his last 5 fights.

I especially love this question:

"Stephie Daniels: You had a bumpy road for a while, then you broke the cycle with your knockout win over Duane Ludwig. Do you feel more pressure to win this fight, to keep the streak going?"

hahahaha what streak. A streak would mean he has at least 2 wins in a row. Now the 4 lossses just before this last win, that is a streak.
9/17/12 4:23 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I'm sure Hardy will do a better job turning the show around as a coach then what could have been accomplished by JDS, Big Nog and Serra. Those guys are all un-capable of coaching guys and not letting them run around like jackasses.

Are there fools that get on TUF? Sure, but to say the show characterizes the sport as a bunch of lunatics is innacurrate. Most of the kids on TUF are just trying to catch a break and carry themselves with class. A few rotten apples don't spoil the bunch.

9/17/12 4:27 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bryanand - Yeah, I'm sure Hardy will do a better job turning the show around as a coach then what could have been accomplished by JDS, Big Nog and Serra. Those guys are all un-capable of coaching guys and not letting them run around like jackasses.

Are there fools that get on TUF? Sure, but to say the show characterizes the sport as a bunch of lunatics is innacurrate. Most of the kids on TUF are just trying to catch a break and carry themselves with class. A few rotten apples don't spoil the bunch.

Those who can't do, teach Phone Post
9/17/12 4:38 PM
Big Pun
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who would want Dan Hardy as a coach? Alot of the competitors can probably beat him.
9/17/12 4:48 PM
shootfightermike
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/17/12 10:25 PM
TagaCameron

Doesn't Dan Hardy realize the conditions for the show? You are locked in a house with
sixteen alpha men for six weeks with no access to the outside world and no books,
television, or internet. Also, the show runners make sure that liquor is constantly poured
into that house twenty-four seven.

So, an environment that has more restrictions than most prisons and there are copious
amounts of liquor on site. Guess what, people are going to act stupid. And that's the way
the producers want it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.