UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> How is my running pace for a triathlon?

9/17/12 8:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChaelPFan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can run a half marathon at a 7:30 pace with biking and all other things considered how will that fare with other competition? Phone Post
9/17/12 9:04 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is your s/b/r experience?

What distance tri are you doing?

What are your goals?
9/17/12 9:47 PM
ChaelPFan

Don't really have any goals and a half ironman I'll be fine with the swim and bike Phone Post
9/18/12 6:58 AM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should probably finish in the front of the pack, solely looking at your run times. The #1 guy at the Cedar Point Rev3 averaged about 6:30 in the run (granted your time will be slower coming off the swim/bike).

Have you been doing some bricks... you ok running off the bike? Never seemed like that big a deal to me, but I wouldn't want my first run off the bike to be in a HIM.

Good luck, what tri are you entering?
9/18/12 9:21 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You need to keep in mind that going out and running that pace fresh has nothing to do with what time you'll run on race day. A better test would be to tack a run onto the back of a hard bike or swim workout and see how you perform. As mentioned above, some folks jump right off the bike and run no problem, others hobble, quad cramp, etc...

What HIM? I'm gonna do one/several next year and IM tahoe 2014.
9/18/12 10:14 AM
Kevin Curtis

I'm thinking about Welland Ontario for my first HIM next June. Phone Post
9/18/12 2:07 PM
TerreM

I guess it will also depend on what the bike course is like(flat or hilly)and what water conditions are like (calm sheltered vs open water chop). Running a 1.5 hr - 2hr half marathon event is much different when you add another 2-4 hrs of swim/bike up front. I'm in the same boat as you in having run a lot and now stepping up to Half Iron Man. Finishing won't be a problem it's just wanting to know how fast you can push it without running out of gas. Having fun training. Which HIM did you enter?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.