UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Best jazz/pop guitar solo ever?

9/18/12 4:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/18/12 4:48 AM

I hadn't heard this for probably more that 15 years after I started playing guitar (but grew up listening to it). Feels So Good by Chuck Mangione has the best guitar solo I've ever heard in a "jazz/pop" song. This is 1977 and the guy (Grant Geissman) is doing broken arpeggio sweeps, some great pentatonic stuff and some other cool things.

The guitar solo starts at 5:21.

A kind of funny story I heard from a guy that went to GIT (MIT) said that Grant Geissman came in and did a clinic for the jazz class. He said the guy was...well I guess kind of full of himself, saying he only plays bebob and doesn't really play anything else. Kind of belittling the people in the class. Then supposedly the teacher who is some old guy in his 60's or something says to him. "Ok, let's play some bob". So the teacher calls out some crazy song (maybe Giant Steps) and does it in like super SUPER fast time. Basically the guy couldn't keep up with the changes as fast as this old teacher guy and really ended up looking like a fool in front of the class, lol.

Another story like that I heard from my old girlfriend's dad (music teacher at Berkelee, SF). Supposedly after the clubs closed during the 40's there would be the infamous after hour jam sesssions. Now these were open to anyone, so you would get pros and amatuers playing, but everything was a cool environment to have fun and learn.

Supposedly the "house band" had a few tricks for people that came in with a nasty attitude and ego. If someone was getting a big head, or acting like a jerk, the band would play a song that they had previously rehearsed. The thing is, it was a standard song that everyone would know, but the band learned to play the song by taking out beats or measures or whatever (like maybe inserting a bar of 15/16 or 7/8 instead of 4/4 or maybe play only 75% of a section, etc) basicaly to fuck the guy up. He would look at the band, but everyone in the band was in time and together, so this guy would think "damn, it can't be the entire band screwing up, so it must be me". Supposedly put these guys in their place very quickly.

Funny stuff, the musical version of getting the "Green Light" in an MMA gym.
9/18/12 1:44 PM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for later, thanks jman.
9/18/12 6:15 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HOLY SHIT,THIS IS EXACTLY THE SOLO I THOUGHT OF WHEN I READ THE THREAD TITLE!!!

Grant Geissman went to my high school years before I did.
9/18/12 10:42 PM
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol that's awesome!
9/19/12 12:26 AM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goddamn, that mutherfucker tore that shit up.  I grew up hearing that all the time, & I forgot about that ridiculous jazz/pop solo.

Thanks for jogging my memory, jamn.  VTFU.

9/19/12 1:26 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Woooorkin' that wah pedal and Small Stone phaser!
9/22/12 2:21 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was a sax player in my high school's band, guy named Mike. Wore rope-chains and hair tonic. Good player. He was always talking about Grant Geissman, "improvisatory genius!" I know he must have been getting it from his dad (who was also a horn player) or some such. Professionals really *get* that guy. But mostly I just think of Mike never shutting his yap about Grant Geissman.

I hadn't thought about him in 20 years, then I see his name as doing the music for some TV show or other. Brought back a flood of memories discussing music with someone who knew a lot more than I did, and... talked about specific music I didn't know. Of course I knew the Mangione tune, but that's it. So Geissman was the guy on the Mangione tune.

And when I checked it out, it's kind of like just checking it now. Yup, I wish I had half the talent of that guy's left pinky. And I freaking hate listening to the tune. And that's pretty much where I land with Geissman. Or Mangione. (Now if he just stayed in the shadows of Art Blakey's band....!)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.