UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> Which Money/Finance books should I read?

9/18/12 9:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just finished "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and enjoyed it. Now I'm currently reading "The Wealthy Barber" and so far it seems good. Picked up some good ideas from both books so far.

What are some "Must-reads" in the money world?

Thanks
9/27/12 1:36 PM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wes, I finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I'm thinking about picking up the Wealthy Barber 2nd book. Hopefully it has some good stuff in it.

ttt for anyone else to suggest some good finance books. Thanks.
9/27/12 6:18 PM
Seth
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Automatic Millionaire."

It is not cheesy like the title sounds.  It covers the basics of what every person should be already doing, but the majority probably don't.  Goes over things like setting up automatic savings, making sure you are maxing out your 401k etc.  It's an easy read I suggest you pick it up.

9/27/12 7:01 PM
LeftBench

Seth: Thanks, I will give it a shot!
9/28/12 2:19 PM
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Intelligent Investor - Ben Graham

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator - Jesse Livemore

Also verse yourself in the investing styles of the world's greatest investors and traders. Such as Buffett, Soros, Lynch, Templeton, Griffin, Dalio etc.

And read books that cover the various investing styles: value investing, growth investing, macro investing, quantitative trading etc.

A very important thing is to find your own style of investing. All the best investors develop their own style based on their own personality and attributes and they work hard to make it work for them.

9/28/12 3:14 PM
LeftBench

Thanks for the info Joe Ray!
9/29/12 6:43 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depending on how you spend your money, The Millionaire Next Door is an enlightening read.
10/4/12 2:32 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RDPD Adviser - Mike Maloney on Investing in Gold and Silver
Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

Creature of Jekyll Island - for you to understand that today's money = debt.
10/8/12 12:08 PM
LeftBench

Thanks!
10/11/12 7:01 PM
LeftBench

Wondering if anyone has read "The Wealthy Barber Returns" and if it's any good?

Thanks
10/14/12 7:29 PM
justin@gosscpa.com
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Justin Goss, CPA, MSA
Since you've already read some great books, maybe some personal finance classes on iTunes University or Coursera are something you may enjoy. They're free and generally from great universities.
11/14/12 12:37 AM
Your Arsonist
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt
11/14/12 9:21 PM
salyer36
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second the Intelligent Investor for investing.
11/26/12 8:24 PM
Mr Whitley
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Millionaire Mind
11/30/12 5:19 PM
justin@gosscpa.com
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Justin Goss, CPA, MSA
"Value Investing: The Use of Historical Financial Statement Information to Separate Winners from Losers" by Joseph Piotroski. Only 42 pages, available for free, and simple strategy to implement.

http://www.chicagobooth.edu/faculty/selectedpapers/sp84.pdf
11/30/12 6:43 PM
salyer36
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

justin@gosscpa.com - "Value Investing: The Use of Historical Financial Statement Information to Separate Winners from Losers" by Joseph Piotroski. Only 42 pages, available for free, and simple strategy to implement.

That sounds interesting. Will read.
12/2/12 7:01 PM
justin@gosscpa.com

Justin Goss, CPA, MSA
salyer36 - 
justin@gosscpa.com - "Value Investing: The Use of Historical Financial Statement Information to Separate Winners from Losers" by Joseph Piotroski. Only 42 pages, available for free, and simple strategy to implement.

That sounds interesting. Will read.

You'll have a hard time finding stocks that meet all 9 criteria and in the lowest 20% of book-to-market, but you can relax the criteria to 7 of 9 and still achieve alpha.
12/2/12 7:37 PM
salyer36

I have a similar approach when applying the principals from "the Intelligent Investor"- I look for stocks that meet say 5 of the 7 criteria because you very, very rarely find stocks that meet all of them.
12/3/12 5:12 PM
justin@gosscpa.com

Justin Goss, CPA, MSA
salyer36 - I have a similar approach when applying the principals from "the Intelligent Investor"- I look for stocks that meet say 5 of the 7 criteria because you very, very rarely find stocks that meet all of them.

Would you mind schooling me on Graham's criteria and which you use? I would like to backtest the criteria, but the only thing I know of Graham is "margin of safety."
12/14/12 4:23 PM
myersei
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should have a copy of "Options, Futures, and Other Derivitive Securities" by John C. Hull. Now in it's 5th edition i believe, it's a must own.

"The Next 100 years" by George Friedman. It's about geopolitics but gives you a lot of insight on how the global economic climate and global politics work.

"Liars Poker" by Michael Lewis is one of the most entertaining books about Wall Street I've ever read.
1/7/13 5:38 PM
Palmala Handerson
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nobadanymore - 

sub

2/5/13 7:35 PM
salyer36

Justin:

I didn't forget about you. Been busy. This links sums it up pretty good:

http://www.serenitystocks.com/criteria
2/5/13 8:52 PM
salyer36

Its awesome if you are into value/defensive investing. Being that you read "The Wealthy Barber," it should be of use to you.
2/5/13 9:10 PM
Twelve Gage
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightlogs.com, Owner
Wes_Mantooth - 
salyer36 - Justin:

I didn't forget about you. Been busy. This links sums it up pretty good:

http://www.serenitystocks.com/criteria

Interesting link

Voted up Slayer! 

That is a pretty cool site. 

Thank you.

2/5/13 9:34 PM
salyer36

Thanks. It isn't sexy, but it is my investing style and I like it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.