UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Start training again at 33

9/18/12 11:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fanat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I’ve used to train pretty heavily in thai boxing and mma years ago (like 5) and I was pretty good with it. Now at 33 married with kids and in ok shape but not the greatest decided to sign up to train again. I’m going to start of in thai boxing and then maybe if time and health permits take mma classes also (the gym does offer both). First class is this week. I’m super excited. lol

Did anybody else start training again after years off? I am going to be in the world of pain? I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of all the others.
10/10/12 5:13 PM
mr1127

I just started training at 33, making time is hardest part. Phone Post
10/11/12 7:46 PM
garagetrainedloser
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did at 31 to show my 12 year old i would stil train like i made him train. Got my ass kicked allot but proved something to my son. Ended with slipped disk in neck and turn mcl but all healed still do a Lil training and lift but just can't go against the young guns no more but i was never very good in the first place just makes me fell alive. Phone Post
10/11/12 7:46 PM
garagetrainedloser
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My soon wrestles no mma Phone Post
10/11/12 7:47 PM
garagetrainedloser

Wow sorry son Phone Post
10/12/12 10:12 AM
fanat

garagetrainedloser,

Good for you and your son.

I'm really afraid of neck and back injuries so muy thai is probably safer in that respect than bjj, mma or wrestling even though I love to grapple and I am pretty ok with it.

My older son is almost 4 and youngest son is only 3 months. I definitely gotta get them involved in the future just like you.
10/15/12 9:22 AM
OMG this 12er
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I´m 34 now...I used to train some Muay Thai and boxing...but then...get married...get a lil boy...and have to work way too much.

But I started to train again this year...MMA and BJJ...
It´s ok...but I guess I will not reach the level of the younger guys! ;D
10/15/12 11:34 AM
fanat

OMG this 12er - I´m 34 now...I used to train some Muay Thai and boxing...but then...get married...get a lil boy...and have to work way too much.

But I started to train again this year...MMA and BJJ...
It´s ok...but I guess I will not reach the level of the younger guys! ;D

You have a lot of experience on younger guys. Try to have a positive attitute.

I'm going to try to get into the best fighting shape of my life as I turn 34 in 2 weeks! And I'm going to kick some young ass!
10/25/12 9:21 PM
fanat

Update!

Went full retard at muay thai practice and sparred with their best guy. The full retard part that I probably wasn't ready to spar but i diidn't listen to anybody. Went really hard an tried to hurt the other guy and he tried to hurt me. Blocked all knees on the clinch except one! Now i am in a lot of pain with lots of black and blues all over my body. Phone Post
11/7/12 11:59 AM
garagetrainedloser

My son is now training with an mma club in okc. He has been there a month still concentrates on wrestling, but watching the other guys makes me want to get back in to training now. Phone Post
11/10/12 1:19 AM
YOURMMASTORE

I didn't train any MA until I was 34, I'm now 36, got a 2 and a 4 year old, work full time and as others have mentioned find time is hard but I think it important to make the time. Phone Post
1/21/13 1:16 AM
Jason Burton

39 years old now. I have been through surgeries on knee and neck. Started back training again and hope to fight again. I work full time and two kids, 11 and 8. Finding time is hard but when you make it part of your day planning is a bit easier Phone Post
2/25/13 3:40 PM
jonnyjitsu uktt
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 31 and still going strong! Bjj and boxing, still compete regularly.

You're in your prime dude, go for it! Phone Post
2/26/13 10:22 AM
fanat

Update:

I'm still training hard! Few small injuries here and there but nothing major!

Finding time just like everybody says it's tough but I'm trying. I will try to get up really early on the weekends and start running outside.
3/9/13 10:21 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they getting hit in the head is not the best thing you can do. In 35 and have started to roll in BJJ. The reason I chose this is that it is a martial art I can do that has a great workout and has minimal injuries on the body long term. Seems a legit thing to consider but sparring in BJJ and a solid clean diet is all you need. Not many older guys stay with Muay Thai or Krav Maga due to injuries etc Phone Post
3/10/13 6:31 PM
fanat

JVC1001,

I think there is a greater chance for injuries in BJJ than in Muya Thai. You constantly roll with other guys who apply all sorts of pressure on your joints.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think long term BJJ is pretty high on injuries.
3/10/13 6:43 PM
jonnyjitsu uktt
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fanat - JVC1001,

I think there is a greater chance for injuries in BJJ than in Muya Thai. You constantly roll with other guys who apply all sorts of pressure on your joints.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think long term BJJ is pretty high on injuries.
I respectfully disagree.

I have long term bad knee injuries and a form of rhuematoid arthritis and after many years of muay Thai I've ended up concentrating solely on bjj as its easier on my body and for me is a more efficent way of staying fit.

Just my two cents though, everybody's different. Phone Post
3/10/13 6:45 PM
jonnyjitsu uktt

jonnyjitsu uktt -
fanat - JVC1001,

I respectfully disagree.

I have long term bad knee injuries and a form of rhuematoid arthritis and after many years of muay Thai I've ended up concentrating solely on bjj as its easier on my body and for me is a more efficent way of staying fit.

Just my two cents though, everybody's different. Phone Post
With that said I do worry about my joints.

Again though, that's just my opinion. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.