9/24/12 7:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

600 sit-ups everyday will compliment your bicep workout nicely. Phone Post
9/25/12 2:05 PM
torquemada
282 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This sounds quite awful, but I want to hear what happens.

Growth? Tendinitis? Nothing? Update please. Phone Post
9/25/12 4:05 PM
Crw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for the updates Phone Post
9/25/12 5:15 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just to re-iterate I have decided to scrap the 4 nights in a row and am now just doing those sets on ever other night (Tue/Thur/Sat) I can do the bicep curls but I can't achieve the 250 pushups yet without failing but I'm slowly building toward it.

I'm also using USP Lab Jack3d which helps alot.
9/26/12 6:04 AM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - When i was a teen i got an adjustable dumbell bar for use with two cement plates i found. I think it was roughly a 45 lb dumbell.

I didn't know any better so all i did was concentration curls. Every night before dinner i'd bust out a few reps and a few sets, and it just got more over time. I probably got up to about 10 sets of 12 before i upgraded my set up, added exercises, and eventually got a gym membership and a job there. And now here I am today.

Since then, no matter what i do, my biceps are relatively the strongest and largest of all of my muscles.

This fits with a theory i've been brooding on for a while. I tend to think that any activity you do a lot of while growing up will be where you are strongest, and most muscular, for the rest of your life. For me i did loads of walking/hiking when i was a teenager, and my calves don't need any work and are still relatively my strongest muscles.

Of course i haven't got any objective evidence to support this, but anecdotal evidence seems to support it.
9/26/12 6:43 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - 
vermonter - When i was a teen i got an adjustable dumbell bar for use with two cement plates i found. I think it was roughly a 45 lb dumbell.

I didn't know any better so all i did was concentration curls. Every night before dinner i'd bust out a few reps and a few sets, and it just got more over time. I probably got up to about 10 sets of 12 before i upgraded my set up, added exercises, and eventually got a gym membership and a job there. And now here I am today.

Since then, no matter what i do, my biceps are relatively the strongest and largest of all of my muscles.

This fits with a theory i've been brooding on for a while. I tend to think that any activity you do a lot of while growing up will be where you are strongest, and most muscular, for the rest of your life. For me i did loads of walking/hiking when i was a teenager, and my calves don't need any work and are still relatively my strongest muscles.

Of course i haven't got any objective evidence to support this, but anecdotal evidence seems to support it.

If this was true... my right forearm would be HUGE!
9/26/12 12:40 PM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - 

I'm compelled by that argument. I hiked every day as a child and as a result my ankles are pretty much unrollable. I don't even know what it's like to roll an ankle and be injured from it.
9/26/12 9:23 PM
lets get dangerous
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC -

I surfed as a kid and body boarded so my back and thighs are thick and solid

Seems fact to me Phone Post
9/28/12 7:23 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The pushups are working well.. I still can't do anywhere near 250 in one session, I get to about 100 and then collapse and after 2 weeks of doing them my triceps are bigger than they've ever been.
9/28/12 11:50 PM
BshMstr
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - 

honestly, i've thought about this as well, and suspect it has to do with the high levels of growth hormone you have as a teen (and pretty much drops off in the early 20's)...

the current methodology on hGH is that is does increase fiber number in muscle, and not just fiber growth.
9/29/12 3:17 AM
Leigh
826 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have big, strong legs. Always have. But I DIDN'T work them as a kid.

Maybe you guys were doing activities that you were better suited to. Phone Post
10/1/12 12:14 AM
BshMstr
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^or,you were born with big, strong legs.

genetics matters the most, IMO.
10/1/12 2:54 AM
Leigh
826 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BshMstr - ^or,you were born with big, strong legs.

genetics matters the most, IMO.
That was my point Phone Post
10/1/12 5:48 AM
Leigh

If you need it, go ahead
10/2/12 12:44 AM
HERTSWENIP
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 12:44 AM
HERTSWENIP
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 12:44 AM
HERTSWENIP

Are you built like Poliquin?
10/2/12 12:09 PM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 12:09 PM
HERTSWENIP - 

Are you built like Poliquin?

Well i doubt it would be correct to say "yes" to this question haha. I'm not nearly as big as poliquin. However, I do have pretty sad triceps in comparison to my biceps if that's what you mean. Abs too. From the front i look pretty big, but from the side i disappear.
10/6/12 6:55 AM
BrunoMcGyver
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad this thread's around. I recently (2-3 weeks) started working my arms at home when I got dumbbells off my brother. Since I'm saving money I don't have a gym membership.

Bicep Curls - I usually do 3 sets of 9-10 reps for each arm (15kg/33lbs) every 2nd night

Bench (Chair) Dips for Triceps - Usually 3-4 sets of 15. also every 2nd night.

I usually do push ups (3-4 sets of 20) to help the chest, but I'm focussing on my arms since they're boney as fuck.

Is this a good start? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys!

PS - In case it's relevant. I'm 6'1, 78kg/172lbs, skinny with a bit of belly fat, 27 years old.
10/6/12 8:28 AM
BrunoMcGyver
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/06/12 8:36 AM
sweet. initial research says i should diversify the exercises and do them less than i'm doing now, 2-3 times a week instead of ~4. also says i should eat heaps more, which is good cos i love eating, but bad cos all i take in goes to my gut :( hopefully some of it goes to my arms now i'm exercising the cunts

I'd love to join the gym again, but saving money comes first right now.
10/6/12 8:45 AM
BrunoMcGyver

Me?

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-bigger-biceps-triceps-arms/

"Common Mistakes to Avoid.
Overtraining Your Arms. Arms are small muscles which you hit on all exercises. You can't train them 5x/week. Muscles grow when they rest.
Not Eating Enough Food. You'll never get 18” biceps if you only weigh 120lbs at 6'. You must gain weight to build bigger arms."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-arm-training-guide.htm

"For training your upper arms (biceps and triceps) I like to use all kinds of rep ranges, high (15-20), moderate (8-12) and low (4-6). Each has its own purpose and will be critical to use all ranges in your pursuit of bigger arms."

The workout programs they give consist of like 5-6 different exercises.
10/6/12 8:46 AM
BrunoMcGyver

if i look like a troll then i'm getting the wrong info. hope that's not the case.
10/6/12 8:58 AM
BrunoMcGyver

are you on the piss tonight, mate?
10/6/12 9:30 AM
BrunoMcGyver

No, I don't!
10/6/12 7:14 PM
BrunoMcGyver

yeh Leigh's a solid poster.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.