UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Robben Ford - Playing the Blues

9/19/12 3:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jman
585 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/19/12 3:21 AM

Robben Ford what a monster guitar player. Guy even played with Miles Davis...how much bigger gig can you get?

Robben Ford - Playin the Blues

Robben Ford - Back to the Blues - II

9/20/12 4:23 AM
jman
585 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/20/12 6:00 AM
VIDEO #1

If I can learn "one" thing from an instructional video or lesson, then I consider that pretty cool. From the first video, he talks about using a nice variation of the Minor Pentatonic in blues (replacing the b7 with the 6) which I am calling the Dorian Penatonic:

Minor Pentatonic - 1, b3, 4, 5, b7 (C, Eb, F, G, Bb)

Dorian Pentatonic - 1, b3, 4, 5, 6 (C, Eb, F, G, A)

And here's one I came up with (never heard anyone else ever talk about it or use before besides a Romanian composer I met last year). This thing is gold...seriously it flows under your fingers like butter. This scale is so cool and works over 7th chords better than anything I've ever played. I'm not saying I invented this scale, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere before:

Mixolydian Pentatonic - 1, 3, 4, 5, b7 (C, E, F, G, Bb)

Later on I'll make a post about the other Pentatonic scales I "came up with". It's pretty interesting, and makes playing over jazz chord changes a hell of a lot easier...but that's for another post.

I'm checking out the second Robben Ford video now and will post my Cliff notes.
9/20/12 6:17 AM
jman

Edited: 09/21/12 12:52 AM
VIDEO #2

What a wonderful video. Nothing earthshattering, but something that was so refreshing to see someone talk about and do SO MUCH with just very basic, simple ideas.

The best quote I've heard about blues is "just because it is simple, doesn't mean it is easy." I've always enjoyed Robben Ford's playing, so it was great to see him dissect it, and you realize in a way, it isn't THAT complicated. Just a great application of melody and rhythm. Also the conversations about working with Miles Davis was awesome at the very end 1:15:19.

As far as "technical" music stuff, the biggest thing I got out of it was soloing over a VI ii V I turnaround in Blues (applying a Jazz turnaround to a standard 12 bar blues). Over the VI chord, he said 90% of the time he uses the diminished scale. For anyone trying this turnaround, you know the clusterfuck when that VI chord shows up.

Standard Blues:

I - C7
IV I - F7 C7
V IV - G7 F7
I V - C7 G7

Jazz Blues

I - C7
IV I VI - F7 C7 A7
ii V - Dm G7
I V - C7 G7

So for the Standard Blues just use the C Minor Blues scale.

For the Jazz Blues..."basically"...use the C Minor Blues scale, but over the A7 chord use the A Half-Whole Diminished Scale (also the same notes as C Half-Whole Diminished Scale).

Diminished Scale (Half Setp-Whole Step) -

1 2 b3 3 #4 5 6 b7 - (C D Eb E F# G A Bb)

If you want to get adventurous you can use the D Dorian over the ii V part (Dm G7).
9/20/12 6:37 AM
jman

Of course after watching the Robben Ford videos, and feeling a bit good about spending the past few weeks revisiting the Pentatonic Modes...I watch Guthrie...and he defecates all over my slightly improving ego, lol.

9/20/12 3:56 PM
hugomma
1043 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd VTFU again, but I'm out for the day.  It may be a while before I get to this, becasue Mr. Bruning's got me plenty busy, but this will come in very handy in the near future.

Seriously, this place is becoming my own personal School of (Jazz) Rock, with Ali as my Music Appreication prof, & you as my Music Theory teacher.

And  Guthrie Govan shits on all our chests, all the time.
9/22/12 2:28 PM
Ali
768 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like Ford is a very good teacher. Of course off-the-charts player. (I'm lukewarm about most of his recordings, but when he nails it, he nails it. And live... dude just makes me cry he's so good).

Govan I have to get to. Haven't taken time to watch this vid yet. I like his record "Erotic Cakes" and I like, maybe more, the Aristocrats record (which is Govan/Beller/Minneman -- to my ear, interesting to compare that trio to Keneally with those guys. But I'm a Keneally freak, too, which it breaks my heart to know that Jimmy is not. Oh well. I'll get over it!)
9/23/12 5:42 PM
Ali
768 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not this version, but another live version of this song is the first tune on Ford's "Soul On Ten". This kills me. This and what he plays with Jerry Granelli (which I can't find on youtube) are my favorite Ford moments on record. Of course there's plenty I haven't heard, too.

Side-point: The drummer is Toss Panos. One of the best guys in L.A. He's also the drummer on the Marc Bonilla clip Jimmy posted. Pretty sure the bassist is Travis Carlton, Larry's son.
9/23/12 5:45 PM
Ali

Edited: 09/23/12 5:55 PM
Forgive the redundancy -- same tune, different performance/band. And different brain on the second guitar solo in particular. Both solos, really (they're both so teasingly short! But he brings more of a flamethrower for those short spots, here). He's a Tibetan Buddhist. They can just switch brains, I heard. True story.

9/23/12 10:47 PM
jman

Edited: 09/24/12 12:04 AM
Great playing.

With Robben Ford, you can see the foundation is blues in his playing and he so beautifully adds the "jazz" elements in there to color his playing. I'd say about 75% blues and 25% jazz.

With Mike Stern, even though he says he started out playing the blues, it is definitely the rock playing that is the spark in his playing. His playing is like 75% jazz 25% rock, unreal.

To me the way these guys can integrate sounds together and have them flow so smoothly is the mindblowing. Today it is almost like fusion players are modern day musical MMA fighters. They do a bit of everything, but many times don't bring their own style to the table (and these are players I love to listen to).
10/27/12 8:44 PM
DonkeyKick215
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He had a cool signature fender

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.