UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Indian public not impressed with MMA, yet

9/19/12 9:04 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Underground Blogger Harendra Kottyam, is the Senior Correspondent of The World of Martial Arts paper, Former Vice President of The International Combat Hapkido Federation, and author of the book “Sayings of Lord Siva”

For the past two months UFC has been beaming its fights into India, including live fights and also in HD on the Sony Six sports channel.

This is not the first time that UFC has been shown in India, some years ago The Ultimate Fighter was shown on the AXN channel. It got a mixed response and then was discontinued.

Last year and this year we were shown old fights from the Bellator Fighting Championships on the AXN channel, these were approximately 1 ½ to two years old and only Hector Lombard and Eddie Alvarez really impressed the viewers, the women fights were a novelty. .. Zoila "Warrior Princess" Gurgel was very impressive with her win over Megumi Fujii.

How has the audience in India taken to the UFC? The hardcore martial artists are enjoying every moment of it; the common public is not too impressed as they have been brought up on Bruce Lee movies, and expect all the fights to have aerial and spinning kicks and frankly the ground work looks like wild swinging to them. This is because there are no Brazilian Jiu Jitsu schools presently operating here, and if there are they must be available to a select few, and therefore the intricacies of the ground work are only understood by the Judo and Jiu Jitsu practitioners and not to the common public.

However the UFC is doing a very good job in its coverage which also includes the training methods of the fighters, where the importance of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is clearly explained, and the slow motion replays from different angles are beginning to shed more light on the submission moves.

What surprised the audience the most was the program UFC Inside Access, where the personal lives of the UFC fight stars were shown. One episode showed the home and training schools of UFC champion Anderson Silva, whom we can related to because he came from humble beginnings and is still very humble. The high end cars and luxurious homes these superstars have was an eye opener to us, that martial artists who make it in the UFC have luxurious lives, which is accessible to only the high end business persons film stars, cricketers, and politicians here.

Presently the Sony six sports channel which beams the UFC programs are not available everywhere, and as it becomes more available, definitely more persons will view the UFC programs.

I spoke to Master Mohammed Sardar, and asked him his opinion about the UFC coverage in India.
Master Mohammed Sardar who is a post graduate from Mumbai University, has been teaching Tae Kwon Do since 1979, and later on Hapkido. He is also the editor of “The World of Martial Arts”, the largest circulating monthly martial arts newspaper in India, which has recently completed twenty years of publication. He has this to say about Mixed Martial Arts in India.

“The average Indian does not have the nature or physique to practice MMA. Indians being non violent by nature may also find it very aggressive and brutal. Most importantly the Indian student cannot afford the injuries which the practice of MMA brings. Also in India there are no world class training facilities or world class trainers in MMA which is available in other countries.

Mr. Mohammed Sardar, however, feels that MMA will reach a good TV audience in future when the present sports channel Sony six which presently beams the UFC fights becomes more available to more cable operators in India. MMA, in future, may have a good number of TV audiences but limited participation. However he feels it will not reach the popularity of other established martial arts like Karate and Tae Kwon Do.

I would like to state that if Dana White wishes to reach a substantial viewing audience in India, he has to find a fighter who is an Indian or of Indian origin to fight in the UFC.

When the Great Khali won the WWE wrestling championship, it created a great interest in India, and he was greeted like a conquering hero when he arrived in India. This was the first time in recent memory an Indian had won a world pro wrestling title out of India.

Many movie and TV roles followed for the Great Khali, and he still has a large fan base in India, and the WWE has a large following of TV viewers, mostly kids.

Generations ago we did have the Great Gama become the world wrestling champion in Great Britain, and went on to remain undefeated in more that 5000 bouts, a feat that no one has ever come even half way to reaching. This was before wrestling matches became orchestrated events for entertainment.

Unfortunately the Great Gama is now forgotten in India, and only old timers can recollect some stories about him, like my late father did, who introduced me to his incredible exploits.

My late father also explained to me that unfortunately the Great Gama died in penury, in his old age a sad fate of many great Indian sportsmen, where presently cricket is the only major sports interest for TV viewers.

In conclusion I would like to add that Dana White has propagated realistic martial arts to more countries than any person has ever done before and is continuing to do so. I wish him continued success and thank him for bringing the UFC programs into India.

9/19/12 9:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rbl
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana White needs to find an Indian champion? I think he'd like to find a few more from the US before he worries about India.

Also not buying Indians as "non violent" they have some pretty crazy riots there. Phone Post
9/19/12 10:38 AM
GarlicSauce
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

India is not really a sports-oriented nation. Other than cricket (and _maybe_ soccer), it'll be tough to get them passionate about sports.
9/19/12 10:49 AM
Lobo8

Edited: 09/19/12 10:48 AM
India is a very fanatic country, they have alot of celebrity worship going on. All the Ufc needs to conquer the market is an indian mma star, just like the guy said.
9/19/12 10:51 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

if i had to choose the least fighting culture in the world it would have to be india
9/19/12 11:21 AM
MrMead
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never understood why the UFC thought it would be a great idea to go to India.
9/19/12 11:45 AM
AmblingAlp

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -  if i had to choose the least fighting culture in the world it would have to be india

Uh...never heard of Dhalsim?
9/19/12 1:42 PM
bhealthy

they must be watchin ufc-brand events
9/19/12 2:17 PM
huggy bear

It's going to be tough for an Indian fighter to become a champ in the UFC especially in the smaller weight classes because the depth is going to get ridiculous as soon as china,Korea,Japan, fighters make their way 2 the UFC. This is def going 2 be the most interesting season of the UFC. Phone Post
9/19/12 2:43 PM
Chaz Johnson

Iran need to get there wrestler in there Phone Post
9/19/12 2:44 PM
Kirik
1664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -  Who cares about India? Seriously? Seriously?

Seriously, guys. Who cares about India? Phone Post

Dana and Lorenzo.

They know more about MMA than you do.

9/19/12 3:33 PM
notsobigmike
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrMead - Never understood why the UFC thought it would be a great idea to go to India.

A population of 1.2 billion people helps. Not to mention they are one of the emerging economies in the world right now.

That's a shit ton of consumers who have a lot of new disposable income.
9/19/12 3:45 PM
Rickson's Aura
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An Indian wrestler got a silver medal at the Olympics and the day before he wrestled for the gold medal he was vomiting and suffering from dehydration. But even pro wrestling is ahead of MMA there due to the theatrics and entertainment value. In India films and cricket are always going to dominate the conversation.
9/19/12 3:48 PM
cheesesteak
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why are most indians ultra scrawny with huge pot bellies?
9/19/12 4:03 PM
UGCTT_iPickedKaufman
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still don't really understand this.  India per capita was BY FAR the worst country at the Olympics and they are not really top tier in any sport with the exception of Cricket.  There are a lot of other countries that have strong wrestling bases or judo bases that the UFC should be trying to jump aboard.  I'd like to see a European version of TUF with guys from all over Europe.  Not to mention why not try to get some of the guys from the UAE that have been training BJJ for like 15 years now.
9/19/12 4:03 PM
cheesesteak
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really don't see India as a type of country to be in to MMA and wearing UFC hats and tapout merchandise. Like the poster above me stated practically the whole population of that country is dirt poor.

Ufc is better off targeting Russia or China. Get rid of tha crappy M1
9/19/12 4:11 PM
john joe
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/20/12 5:06 AM
Fighters Only, web monkey
MrMead - Never understood why the UFC thought it would be a great idea to go to India.

me either

i think the thought process went "india has a huge population, lots of young males, lets go there"

theres not really any martial culture in india at all, no sports culture to speak of, no mohawk douchbag culture and no MMA scene to speak of.

There are lots of indians here in Manchester UK where i love. Every SINGLE ONE OF THEM that ive asked says that MMA will not take off there, whether its UFC or whoever. They have no appetite for it and it doesnt really fit their cultural traits

but meh, whatever, UFC can give it a go and see what happens. 
9/19/12 4:16 PM
UGCTT_iPickedKaufman
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - 

me either

i think the thought process went "india has a huge population, lots of young males, lets go there"

theres not really any martial culture in india at all, no sports culture to speak of, no mohawk douchbag culture and no MMA scene to speak of.

There are lots of indians here in Manchester UK where i love. Every SINGLE OF THEM that ive asked says that MMA will not take off there, whether its UFC or whoever. They have no appetite for it and it doesnt really fit their cultural traits

Seriously.  Canada is the only country without a real history of violence that the UFC has done well in.  It's one of those traits you really need to look for in a place where you want to bring the UFC.  I would be pushing into central Europe, Turkey, Italy, hell even send some people to the south pacific to train up some Samoans.  But I guess India might help supply feeders eventually in the lower weight classes.
9/19/12 4:21 PM
er095

All i know is Indian girls are horny. If you can crack that lock you'll see there a horny bunch Phone Post
9/19/12 4:34 PM
MrMead
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_iPickedKaufman - 
john joe - 

me either

There are lots of indians here in Manchester UK where i love. Every SINGLE OF THEM that ive asked says that MMA will not take off there, whether its UFC or whoever. They have no appetite for it and it doesnt really fit their cultural traits

Seriously.  Canada is the only country without a real history of violence that the UFC has done well in.  It's one of those traits you really need to look for in a place where you want to bring the UFC.  I would be pushing into central Europe, Turkey, Italy, hell even send some people to the south pacific to train up some Samoans.  But I guess India might help supply feeders eventually in the lower weight classes.

That is what I meant but didn't want to type anymore. Plus I wanted to see how many people would say, "1 billion people live there, that's why!"
9/19/12 4:37 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lobo8 - India is a very fanatic country, they have alot of celebrity worship going on. All the Ufc needs to conquer the market is an indian mma star, just like the guy said.

uuuh, except this guy?!
9/19/12 10:53 PM
MPA2000

So the excuse is that Indians have been brought up on Bruce Lee movies? Seriously? That is lame. Americans were brought up on Kunfu Movies with terrible voice over dubs, and the younger generation were brought up with Jacki Chan and Jet Li movies.

Just say Indians are too busy begging in the streets because 1) Their government neglects them or 2) they still have the skin color system that keeps dark skinned Indians segregated and poor.
9/19/12 10:55 PM
CindyO

Kirik - 

Dana and Lorenzo.

aaaaaaahahahahaha!

Cindy
9/20/12 9:07 AM
Teenage mutant lesnar turtle
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All this world domination shit Dana and the Fertittas have in their heads is delusional. Phone Post
9/20/12 11:19 AM
MrMead

CindyO - 
Kirik - 

Dana and Lorenzo.

aaaaaaahahahahaha!

Cindy

Hey shill, it's almost October see if your boss is going to do another Pumpkin carving contest.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.