UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Possible Jesus was married?

10/16/12 12:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RamK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not exactly schooled on the subject, but I find it interesting that there many instances in the bibles where Jesus refers to himself as the bridegroom or his bride.

In all those instances he was referring to the church.

Now we have an instance where he refers to a "my wife" and "she can be my disciple" and it's not clear to who he is referring to.

If you ask me (and my opinion is worthless) there are two things that jump out to me. 1) All complete example of the use of terms referring to a wife have referred to the church, why is this one assumed to refer to a physical person? 2) If Jesus already had a wife, would he have used that language to describe the church? No objections here from the wife or the family of the wife he took? No curious questions from the disciples who say "hey don't you already have a wife"?
10/16/12 2:25 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RamK - I'm not exactly schooled on the subject, but I find it interesting that there many instances in the bibles where Jesus refers to himself as the bridegroom or his bride.

In all those instances he was referring to the church.

Now we have an instance where he refers to a "my wife" and "she can be my disciple" and it's not clear to who he is referring to.

If you ask me (and my opinion is worthless) there are two things that jump out to me. 1) All complete example of the use of terms referring to a wife have referred to the church, why is this one assumed to refer to a physical person? 2) If Jesus already had a wife, would he have used that language to describe the church? No objections here from the wife or the family of the wife he took? No curious questions from the disciples who say "hey don't you already have a wife"?
Good points Phone Post
10/17/12 6:20 PM
Pokanghoya
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The earliest writings about Jesus make no mention of him being married.
10/27/12 2:00 PM
TylerSG7
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stop watching The Davinci Code. Phone Post
11/2/12 9:10 PM
JCMcGee
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why would he not ? And what difference would it make?

He was supposed to be a man, experiencing all that a human experiences....and men were married well before their 30's.

If he wasn't married, he needs to come back and get married.

2/4/13 11:07 AM
BJ_Penmanship
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHawker - I guess we were past due for another one of these shocking revelations about Jesus, it's been a few years since the last one.

The Jesus burial box, The Gospel of Judas, Da Vinci Code, and now the alleged 4th century gnostic fragment. This one is kind of boring, though, I hope the next one is more titillating.

As an aside, Mormons actually believe Jesus practiced polygamy and had multiple wives.
"as an aside.." slight correction: Mormons do believe that Jesus was married. And some suggest that the wedding in which he turns water into wine was actually his own.
But I haven't ever head that he was also a polygamist.

It does seem to make a certain sense that he would be married... If his purpose on earth was to show us an exemplary life and overcome temptation then why wouldn't he take a wife..? Phone Post
5/10/13 6:28 PM
Saint Stevo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed -  I'm sure there would be some record of it in the bible by someone who was around him a lot. Like one of the four gospel writers Phone Post

I agree.

2Corinthians 13:1
This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.