UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman shocked, confused over Bonnar vs Silva

9/19/12 10:38 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Chris Weidman reached #1 contender status when he pushed his undefeated record to nine, stopping Mark Munoz in the second at UFC on FUEL 4. He has repeatedly stated his desire to fight Anderson Silva, and thus was bewildered when Stephan Bonnar was announced as the next opponent.

"I was a little shocked, confused, disappointed," Weidman said on Tuesday's new edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV. "I had actually had just ended up getting elbow surgery about a week ago ... and the same week I find out Anderson Silva is now fighting Stephan Bonnar in UFC 153. It's tough."

"He's going to be making a couple million dollars on odds I've never even seen before," Weidman said. "So it's a smart move for him. All power to him. It's just disappointing for me, and I just need to keep moving forward and hoping for the best.

"... This whole time him and his manager were very dead set on not fighting until 2013. They didn't really give a reason, but they just wanted to wait until 2013. And I thought that was a little fishy that all of the sudden now they pick up a fight like it's no big deal."

"But this whole time it's being said I'm the No. 1 contender, and nothing's going on with that. They're saying it's not a marketable fight. A guy who's ranked No. 2 in most the polls now wouldn't be a marketable fight for them because I don't have that many fights. But it doesn't matter. I'm the No. 1 contender. He should fight me.

"... I just think I'm a big risk for him on paper. I'm a good wrestler with good jiu-jitsu, which I don't think he's really seen anybody like me with the athleticism I have and my length and everything. I have a lot of tools. On paper, I'm a bad matchup for him. But I think Anderson would like a challenge ... but I think his managers more than him are trying to keep him away."

"The only guy I'm worried about right now is Tim Boetsch on Dec. 29. He's a warrior, a tough guy. I'm excited for that challenge."

Read entire article...

9/19/12 10:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nubp
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuel fuck youuuu!!
9/19/12 10:43 AM
Obie1FaShobie
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So it's for the title now? Phone Post
9/19/12 10:45 AM
k1levelstriking
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Weidman but he hasn't done enough to be bitching about title shots Phone Post
9/19/12 10:47 AM
idsmashit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's not the number 1 contender
9/19/12 10:48 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

time for the anderson white knights/fanbois to bash wiedman for saying the exact same thing ive been saying and got frozen for
9/19/12 10:51 AM
FearMir
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course his managers would pick it up like its not a big deal. Silva doesn't have to really cut any weight, not to 185. Doesn't have to worry about a title defense and has to only train for 3 rounds not 5. It's in Brazil and he'll make a lot of money. What's not to understand?
9/19/12 10:53 AM
Hikikomori

A gimmie fight where Ando will pocket Millions of dollars.

the UFC has become Boxing whether the Fanboys wanna admit or not.
9/19/12 10:57 AM
Lazer MMA

He's gut trying to set up a future fight IMO. It will happen I think.
9/19/12 11:00 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hikikomori - A gimmie fight where Ando will pocket Millions of dollars.

Or Pride Phone Post
9/19/12 11:00 AM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FearMir - Of course his managers would pick it up like its not a big deal. Silva doesn't have to really cut any weight, not to 185. Doesn't have to worry about a title defense and has to only train for 3 rounds not 5. It's in Brazil and he'll make a lot of money. What's not to understand?
Exactly. I like Weidman, but he acts like he's supposed to be guaranteed Anderson's next fight.

Silva taking a 3 round non title fight at 205 on short notice to bail out Zuffa isn't even remotely the same situation. Phone Post
9/19/12 11:01 AM
jragg32
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

idsmashit - He's not the number 1 contender
Then who is? Phone Post
9/19/12 11:04 AM
triso
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

idsmashit - He's not the number 1 contender

Who is then?

Shit, with the UFC's title shot system can you even say there's such a thing as number 1 contender?

9/19/12 11:09 AM
buckshot44
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interdasting
9/19/12 11:10 AM
DanEzra
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can we look forward to everyone who wants a titleshot pulling this 'champ is ducking me' bullshit?
9/19/12 11:10 AM
KaBrooney
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this the main event? If it is then it will be 5 rounds. Phone Post
9/19/12 11:11 AM
Cherrycola

He's not fighting for the title, he's moving up to face Bonnar at 205 Phone Post
9/19/12 11:11 AM
ShaqNoob
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is there a picture of Pat Lawlor for this blog entry? Phone Post
9/19/12 11:13 AM
Giventofly99

So I try not to get too uppity about the grammar errors and constantly incorrect statistics, but you have Tom Lawlor in the post about Chris Weidman.
How does a site as popular as the UG continually have mistakes like this? Are there mma fans on the other side of the server?
9/19/12 11:16 AM
dogfb
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't the fight at 205?

I'm confused by this article. 
9/19/12 11:17 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jragg32 -
idsmashit - He's not the number 1 contender
Then who is? Phone Post
There isn't right now. People are trying to anoint him after one good win because there aren't any other developed contenders yet.

Bisping is right by the way, Munoz was fat and out of shape Phone Post
9/19/12 11:24 AM
epwar
638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

k1levelstriking -  I like Weidman but he hasn't done enough to be bitching about title shots Phone Post

He's done more than most of the recently title contenders (Faber, Florian, Machida, Rashad, Cain, etc.)
9/19/12 11:29 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

epwar -
k1levelstriking -  I like Weidman but he hasn't done enough to be bitching about title shots Phone Post

He's done more than most of the recently title contenders (Faber, Florian, Machida, Rashad, Cain, etc.)
I think you are over rating Munoz some. Is he really better than Phil Davis or Brian Bowles? Phone Post
9/19/12 11:36 AM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hikikomori - A gimmie fight where Ando will pocket Millions of dollars.

How original.

I feel for Weidman is his awkward situation, but you and him both must have your heads in the sand or something.

Nevermind the main/co-main events crumbling in his home country and him taking one for the fans and the company in light of the Jones mess. No, he clearly must be taking a gimme fight for no reason and at the same time ducking Weidman. Makes SO much more sense. Phone Post
9/19/12 11:40 AM
dannybjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

butters 209 -  Isn't that a picture of Tom lawler on the main page??? Phone Post

^this

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.