UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bonnar: He didn't have enough Twitter followers

9/19/12 11:11 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"My manager hit me up and asked how I feel about fighting Glover Teixeira," Bonnar said. "And I said, 'You know my rule. If I'm going to do this again, he's got to have more Twitter followers than me.' I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true. That's how I feel. That's a measure of someone's popularity, and I just want a bigger name. The last three opponents, I've had more Twitter followers than them, and I've beat them, and I feel like I deserve a bigger name now. I really don't have an interest in fighting an up-and-comer type, guys who are climbing their way up and people don't really know how good they are. I've done that a lot in my career."

In fact, Bonnar's past three opponents – Krzysztof Soszynski, Igor Pokrajac and Kyle Kingsbury – don't have as many Twitter followers combined as Bonnar does. It's an interesting barometer for deciding whether or not to fight someone, but Teixeira didn't make the cut.

"I got another text from (my manager) asking how I'd feel about fighting Anderson, and I laughed," Bonnar said. "Like, 'Yeah. Good luck trying to pull that one off.' Of course I'd fight Anderson – 2.5 million Twitter followers? Geez. Like this will ever happen.' … By Thursday night, it was everywhere, and I couldn't believe it. I played a little phone tag Friday and got ahold of (UFC President Dana White), and lo and behold, it was true.

read entire article...

9/19/12 11:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMApostle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Bonnar....but he gon' get raped.
9/19/12 11:29 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thing the UFC doesn't determine fights based on buyrates.

Because I don't think Bonnar is a draw of any sort.

This may as well be Silva eating Burger King on a stool and speaking in Portuguese as he beats Bonnar with a free hand. Phone Post
9/19/12 11:33 AM
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork

I kinda like Bonnar too....and I know it sounds like "crazy talk"...but, I think Stephan has a REAL chance in this one and will do far better in the fight....and after than Forrest....Bonnar has ONLY been finished by "doctor stoppage"....he is tough bastard with good boxing, excellent bjj, good wrestling, a hell of a chin and a heart of gold....I'm just saying.... :)
9/19/12 11:33 AM
Jaybrone
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephan getting absolutely zero respect. The guy has never been stopped by anything but a cut. Phone Post
9/19/12 11:36 AM
Kirik
1732 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
 Stephan Bonnar vs. Forrest Griffin was the most important fight in the sport's history. I am super excited to see him get the fight and the payday.
9/19/12 11:36 AM
KaBrooney
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zombie Flanders - Who does Bonnar think he is?

Acting like hes a legend like Couture needing a challenge to bring him out of retirement.

He barely beat those last 3 no names he fought.

Very sad that he is HEADLINING a ppv in 2012.

Just shows you what sad shape the UFC is in.
Are you still here? Phone Post
9/19/12 11:42 AM
aka_rtotheoh

You walk into a room with 5 people in it. Texeira, Gustaffson, Igor Pokrajac, kingsboo and Bonnar. Honestly, who do you recognize first? Phone Post
9/19/12 11:43 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

go boner
9/19/12 11:43 AM
The Sauce
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think he'll win, but I bet he will Deliver!! Phone Post
9/19/12 11:45 AM
Perfer Et Obdura
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - Stephan Bonnar vs. Forrest Griffin was the most important fight in the sport's history

Tito vs Ken > Stephan vs Forrest
9/19/12 11:46 AM
kinson

Twitter followers? Let me check how many I have...119. Minus the web cam bots.... Minus my moms friends.... Minus the follow backs... 4. I have 4 followers.

I will never get a shot at Stephan Bonnar.

:( Phone Post
9/19/12 11:49 AM
ausgepicht

I like Bonnar, but I don't buy this for a minute.  
9/19/12 12:00 PM
chris curry
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the American phycho is a solid guy, why can't we just be happy that spider took a fight against bonnar to help out. Maybe bonnar is gonna get crushed or maybe just maybe this turns into an epic fight. How bout we wait and see before bitching about it. Just my opinion but I like Anderson  taking this fight cause maybe he gets worked a little and decides he wants to go 205 and run a muck up there.
9/19/12 12:02 PM
KaBrooney
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zombie Flanders -
KaBrooney - 

Acting like hes a legend like Couture needing a challenge to bring him out of retirement.

Are you?

Hmmm Bonnar doesnt have a single top 10 victory in his entire career.

Now he is fighting the greatest fighter of all time.....

Makes perfect sense.

This fight will look exactly like Silva vs Forrest.

Thats a guarantee
Lol, you really think I care what you think you negative piece of shit. Phone Post
9/19/12 12:08 PM
gridlor

I like Bonnar hell he took Jones to a decision. Not many people can say that. Phone Post
9/19/12 12:11 PM
UGCTT_JediMMA
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zombie Flanders -
KaBrooney - 

Are you?

Makes perfect sense.

Thats a guarantee
who said its supposed to make sense?! Its a last minute fight put together to save the card. It wasn't a fight that was planned out.

Why is that so hard for you people to understand? Phone Post
9/19/12 12:28 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  Stephan Bonnar vs. Forrest Griffin was the most important fight in the sport's history. I am super excited to see him get the fight and the payday.

I LOVE Bonner.  Not only is he the nicest guy ever, he's paid his dues and deseves this fight.

What happened to all the threads a while back asking for Bonner to get a big name farewell fight?  Well, we got our wish-
9/19/12 12:31 PM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen - 
Kirik -  Stephan Bonnar vs. Forrest Griffin was the most important fight in the sport's history. I am super excited to see him get the fight and the payday.

I LOVE Bonner.  Not only is he the nicest guy ever, he's paid his dues and deseves this fight.

What happened to all the threads a while back asking for Bonner to get a big name farewell fight?  Well, we got our wish-

That is because all the shills could blame Dana for not giving Stephan a big fight.

Now they can blame him for doing just that.

See? Doesnt matter what the issue is, as long as we can blame Dana for something!
9/19/12 12:33 PM
BigTedBear
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Stephan but you can't hate the guy for trying to get a big name fight he has said he is thinking of retirement. The rub he will get off being in the main event with Anderson will make him more if he loses than he would have made if he beat Glover I'm sure. Besides its sad to say but how many guys would have took that fight or were even available to fight. Its going to be a fun card. Phone Post
9/19/12 12:46 PM
Doc T
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  Stephan Bonnar vs. Forrest Griffin was the most important fight in the sport's history. I am super excited to see him get the fight and the payday.
Always on point Phone Post
9/19/12 1:12 PM
McSurly
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zombie Flanders - 
KaBrooney - 

Are you?

Makes perfect sense.

Thats a guarantee

You were probably getting vtfd for just being a douchebag, but your use of "Hmmmmm" like a 12 year old girl solidified it.
9/19/12 1:23 PM
TheRealMrBeefy

Zombie Flanders -
KaBrooney - 

Are you?

Makes perfect sense.

Thats a guarantee
You sir are a fool.

Bonnar deserves this fight and i am very happy he was given the opportunity.

He may not be ranked nor does he deserve a title shot, but he certainly deserves the opportunity to fight Silva.

Instead of crying about this, you should feel happy for a guy who has dedicated his entire life to entertaining us fans.

Besides, this fight is just a fun match-up. It is always exciting when Silva fights up in 205 and i think Bonnar has a pretty good shot at pulling out the Win.

I think the state of the UFC is the strongest its been in years. Only ass-hats like you cry about dumb shit. I just love to watch MMA and both these guys put on great performances. Phone Post
9/19/12 2:08 PM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/19/12 2:30 PM
jjchgo
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm a fan and i think i know the point bonnar is trying get across but god damn did it sound stupid.

war stephan!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.