UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Bible reading, prayer, or tithe?

9/19/12 11:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kway
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Which is the most important for a relationship with Christ? You must pick one.
9/19/12 11:14 PM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good question. I think living his gospel is probably the most important. Doing good works, loving your neighbor, ect. After that prayer would be the one I would go with.
9/20/12 5:30 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quick - Good question. I think living his gospel is probably the most important. Doing good works, loving your neighbor, ect. After that prayer would be the one I would go with.
There are three choices Phone Post
9/20/12 5:31 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I pick prayer

Reason being, through communication with God, he will cause you to remember his word that you already have read, and guide you in the areas that you aren't sure of Phone Post
9/20/12 10:06 AM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed - 
quick - Good question. I think living his gospel is probably the most important. Doing good works, loving your neighbor, ect. After that prayer would be the one I would go with.

Well considering I listed one of the three in my post I don't think it is asking you to make a great leap in logic to figure it out.

So how about you keep the snarky comments to yourself next time. And no, that really isn't a question.
9/20/12 10:14 AM
ato316
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think its through prayer that we have a relationship with God, i think that is what is most important of the three. at the same time i think prayer and reading your bible go hand and hand.
9/20/12 12:15 PM
DyingBreed

quick -
DyingBreed - 

Well considering I listed one of the three in my post I don't think it is asking you to make a great leap in logic to figure it out.

So how about you keep the snarky comments to yourself next time. And no, that really isn't a question.
Wow

Joke bro

Don't read too much into it, lol Phone Post
9/20/12 2:49 PM
quick

^^^ Well in that case I am glad I didn't post my first response. lol
9/20/12 2:57 PM
DyingBreed

Haha

One that didn't belong on the holy ground huh?

I have to edit often as well :) Phone Post
9/21/12 10:07 AM
quick

Sadly, yes. I'm going through a divorce and so I am probably a little more an edge than I might be otherwise. And so let me sincerely apologize for my little outburst. Peace
9/21/12 2:31 PM
DyingBreed

quick - Sadly, yes. I'm going through a divorce and so I am probably a little more an edge than I might be otherwise. And so let me sincerely apologize for my little outburst. Peace
No need for apology bro. I take everything here with a grain of salt and assume (even if I'm wrong) that most statements are tongue in cheek anyway.

And I feel you on the divorce thing. Went through one myself back in 05-06. The grace of God is the only thing that kept me from going nuts. I had a strange supernatural peace during it.

I had been backslidden pretty bad, but a month or two before I found out she was cheating, God slowly started calling me back. I started reading the bible again, and gave everything to him again. Then I found out she was doing her boss, and the old me would have beat him senseless, and broken a few joints. God didn't let me screw up and end up in jail or prison due to my temper, lol. He gave me peace that surpasses understanding

I pray the same for you Phone Post
9/22/12 1:21 AM
quick

DyingBreed, I really appreciate that.

I guess like anyone going through a divorce I sat down and gave myself a real hard look. One of the things I realized that was missing was a real connection and relationship with God. So here I am. Hopefully I can tune into something like you did to help me get over some of the pain, but regardless I am looking forward to this new journey.
9/22/12 3:18 AM
DyingBreed

Awesome that you are looking forward and not behind you. Any kids with the ex? If so, treat them like gold. If not, take all your free time and do stuff that YOU want to do. Also, do stuff for others that you may not have had time for before. Charity in all it's forms helps a person feel good again, and helps others in the process

Keeping you in prayer bro.

p.s.

If you want to vent/talk about this experience here, please do. Any help I can give where I relate to the details I'd be glad to give Phone Post
9/22/12 10:10 PM
quick

Yeah it seems so easy to get into that cycle where you just dwell on all the things you did or didn't do in the relationship. I just figured it would be a lot more healthy for me to acknowledge those shortcomings and, in addition to working on fixing them, also trying to forgive myself. If that makes sense? And sadly I do have two young daughters. As shitty as things have been the last few years I would still stick it out to try and stick it out for them, but it doesn't appear as though that is in the cards.

And again I appreciate the kind words and I will definitely vent about it once or twice I am sure. ha
9/24/12 10:33 PM
DyingBreed

I kept re-analyzing all the things I did wrong too for a while. It is actually a good thing to drill into your head as long as it doesn't start to kill your self esteem because, when your next relationship starts, you will already know what and how to avoid them.

This second time around I have avoided many of my prior mistakes because I knew them well from rehasing them over and over

Best of blessing concerning you and your daughters Phone Post
9/25/12 10:21 AM
quick

I'm hoping that is the direction I am able to go. Learn and live.

The soon to be ex and I look like we are slowly hashing things out between ourselves in regards to custody and the distribution of property. Which is really good. And we had a big airing out of old hurts too. Which was a little intense, but was a really good for both of us. Although one thing I had an immense time wrapping my mind around was that she has completely rewritten the script on the two fights where she attacked me. She either completely downplays, rationalizes, or outright denies what she did. I honestly didn't know what to make of it. I'm trying to tune into the spirit of forgiveness, but at least in this situation she is making it rather hard.

And kway, sorry for the thread hijack.
9/25/12 5:58 PM
Kway
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its cool.
9/26/12 6:26 AM
CJJScout
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't pick one Kway, just can't do it. All of them are critical to my well being.
10/30/12 10:28 PM
micmac

Prayer and bible reading. If not tithing, the important question is what are you doing with your money instead. Phone Post
10/30/12 11:14 PM
JitsuGuy
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tithing is a scam. For many 10% is all they have left...I guess their children should starve or they live in a hot house during the peak of summer by not paying their electricity bill so they can give to another church that will end up empty a few years down the road.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Prayer is simply groveling before a temperamental god that may or not answer your prayers no matter if you pray or not. You have not if you ask not? No that's not true, you have not because most of the time he answers not. Phone Post
10/30/12 11:15 PM
JitsuGuy
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Micmac, I do with my money as I please. The God that created everything needs my dollars? That's funny. Phone Post
10/31/12 4:02 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With Christ I haven't a clue.  But with God I'd say it would depend on your situation.  If you have money, give some, if you have time study some, if you are in need of development or want to petition for someone else pray.

2/4/13 11:38 AM
BJ_Penmanship
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All three are vital...

When I read scripture prayerfully (just praying beforehand for peace and guidance) I find that not only do I feel closer and more connected to God, but I also find that what I read makes more sense and there's usually a way to apply it to my daily life... Or that's often where I find answers to my prayers.

Tithing is more than just kickin in to your pastor's new car fund ( although my church has an unpaid clergy)
The idea is that God gave us everything that we have, all he asks is that we give back a small percentage to not only show our obedience but also to help out those who may be in greater need.
Tithing is also a way for us to break our own selfish habits. If we put God first in our lives (by also loving our neighbors as our selves) and sacrifice 10% then we learn to focus less on the material aspects of life and we find that we really don't "need" as much "stuff" as we think.

I've never regretted a single cent that I've given to tithing because I know it's gone to help build churches and feed and clothe people who need it. And I still have all I need. It's really not much of a sacrifice and the small show of faith has repaid me far more than the money I've parted with. Phone Post
2/5/13 3:09 PM
figure four
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bible Reading is not a requirement... The Bible is not an open book, you will do more harm than good.

Tithing is not a requirement. Your heart dictates the amount of your offering not a percentage...

Prayer is the only one left...

If you look at the life of Cornelius you will see all this into play...

Acts 10
----------------------
10 At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. 3 One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”

4 Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.

The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. 5 Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter. 6 He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

7 When the angel who spoke to him had gone, Cornelius called two of his servants and a devout soldier who was one of his attendants. 8 He told them everything that had happened and sent them to Joppa.
----------------------

Note that he had to call for Peter...Who preached to him the words of God. The ministry is only given to his messengers...
5/21/13 7:40 AM
Joeymarvelous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Two time wasters and an act of extortion. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.