UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Is best training for squats...

9/19/12 5:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
acamp76144
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

.... Just doing squats?

I find I lack power to get back up if I go all the way down to legs parallel to the ground. If I stay a bit above this I'm ok.

Is there a particular drill that would help this (like box squats) or should I just stick to basics and give it time?

Should I drop the weight and go the full way down or stay where I am and work at it.

New to squats as assumed old back injury would cause pain - but it hasn't. Have been dead lifting for some time and no problems .

Thks Phone Post
9/19/12 5:13 PM
Leigh
809 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends what your goals are. Half squats will build great leg strength. Full squats will make you stronger in that range and work your hips more Phone Post
9/19/12 5:47 PM
MarsMan
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why can't you work with a little less weight and do it in the full range of motion?

9/19/12 6:33 PM
jeremy hamilton
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do pause squats as a secondary movement.

After your main work sets pick a weight about Seventy percent of your max. Pause in the hole nice and deep for a count of 2 or so on each rep, then explode back up. Do many sets of 5, add weight the next session. Get stronger out of the hole, feel more comfortable squatting deep.
9/19/12 7:49 PM
Chocolate Shatner
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds also like a glute/hamstring weakness. RDL's and Split Squats.
9/19/12 10:42 PM
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had that problem when i first started doing squats too. I had to man up and drop the weights and slowly worked my numbers back up. Phone Post
9/19/12 10:52 PM
molsonman
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/19/12 10:52 PM
Less weight and learn to box squat. Glute-ham raises and other exercises will help as well.
9/20/12 3:53 AM
acamp76144
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thks

I'll try dropping a little weight off as I want my form to be as close to perfect as possible Phone Post
10/14/12 7:07 PM
OiKing
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a bit of an older post but I want to say that if you have a problem with your squat form the last thing I would do is box squat. I did that and I learned to box squat really good (I had some really good training partners from WSB) and I built up a ton of strength on box squats and good mornings and my deadlifts. I decided one day to take the box away and try regular squats and I was shocked to know that my form was even worse. I seriously had no idea what I was doing.

I was told to do all sorts of things like reverse hypers, RDL, more good mornings, etc. etc. All I ever did was get stronger with my bad form.

I had to take a very humble pie and drop the weights down, way down, and nail the form. Every squat session I would start with the bar and add weight. I stopped as soon as my form got sloppy (my problem was I would shoot my hips up first and good morning my way out). That's all I did. I squatted a lot. I still did other things but at the end of the day if you want to squat better I firmly believe you have to squat.
10/14/12 7:56 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
10/15/12 10:34 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OiKing - No offence, but I think box squats are a great way to teach the squat. I have found it to help squat rookies get comfortable with sitting back and also getting the feel for where their parallel is.

I like Jeremy's advice on the pause squats.
10/15/12 6:12 PM
Chocolate Shatner
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another good "hole" helper is 1.5 squats. Basically, go down, come up only halfway, go back down into the hole again, and then fully come up for 1 rep. This can also be done in the reverse (come down, all up, half down, all up) but that's not for hole problems.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.