UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> Question for OAMA members

9/19/12 5:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LBoutin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a question for OAMA students/teachers.

Just curious if anyone could give me a little info on a former student of OAMA. A new school in Saskatoon,SK is going to be offering BJJ soon and the instructor's name is Pat Major. From what I can gather he's coming from and is a former student of OAMA. Has anyone trained with him ? Been taught by him ? What rank is he ? Thanks for the help ! Much appreciated !
9/20/12 10:58 AM
UltraViolentRay
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a (sadly because of a move) former member of OAMA and know Pat Major. When I left 4 years ago, Pat was a blue belt. Very strong, knowledgeable and all around awesome guy. Here is his testimonial from the OAMA website:

As a soldier, it is a reality that you may be put into a situation where you must be able to defend yourself by the means of hand-to-hand combat. It is for this reason that the military should implement realistic Combative (hand-to-hand combat) training. The only obstacle is to find a credible Martial Arts Academy which can assist in implementing a realistic and effective system. The Ottawa Academy of Martial Arts is the place to train. If you want to become a well rounded fighter and be able to defend yourself effectively and instinctively, then you should train at OAMA. As a Pathfinder instructor, it is important to evolve and maintain unique skill sets. Some of these skills are better understood and utilized if we tap into professionals who practice these skill-sets on a regular basis.

In the fall of 2005, I had the opportunity to see Pat Cooligan and Matt Hache instruct Combative to Pathfinders. During this phase of training, the students were exposed to realistic techniques and concepts which they could utilize both instinctively and effectively in a real-time situation. The level of professionalism and experience far exceeded any previous martial arts instruction taught to the military. The instructors at OAMA demonstrated a great sense of discipline and control in all the lessons taught. They were very respectful and understanding throughout this phase of training. The versatility combined with knowledge and experience, enabled us to implement such an outstanding accomplishment. I am confident that these guys are the real deal and should be the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for hand-to-hand combat in the Canadian Forces
9/20/12 11:22 AM
LBoutin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thanks !! Phone Post
9/20/12 3:26 PM
bravo13
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where is the new school in Saskatoon?
9/20/12 4:52 PM
LBoutin

It's called Momentum Martial Arts, I think they've had Karate and kickboxing for a while, but have added wrestling and BJJ very recently.

I think they are located on or close to fairlight drive. Pretty close to Alliance if I'm not mistaken. Phone Post
9/25/12 12:45 AM
Shinsplint
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same strip mall as Dublins. Odds of surprise self defense practice on the way to the car are good.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.