UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Chris Weidman - The UFCs most overrated fighter

9/19/12 11:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dazednconfused
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It just astonishes me the way people talk about Chris Weidman like he's some sort of world beater. That he is the number 1 contender? Really?

The guy has only had 9 fights in his career. His 2 best wins are a decision over Demian Maia, who is a one dimensional fighter and is now a welterweight, and an out of shape Mark Munoz who should have never been ranked #3. Munoz beat a gassed out Chris Leben, Maia and CB dollaway and all of the sudden he's ranked #3??
Most guys in the middleweight division would have beaten the demian Maia and mark munoz Chris Weidman fought.

Please tell me how this makes him the number 1 contender.

I mean the guy has potential for sure, but I can't see anyway in which you can justify him being the number 1 contender for the middleweight title with those wins. Phone Post
9/19/12 11:46 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5 fight win streak in the ufc and two top 10 victories.

Who else in the mw division has done that recently?

Only other guy with a recent streak like that is boetsch.

Winner of that fight is your #1 contender. Phone Post
9/19/12 11:50 PM
CHILLITACO
700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta - Enjoy your vote downs. Phone Post
Agreed
I now see why Op's name is a good fit. Phone Post
9/19/12 11:51 PM
Suess
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i feel like i did my good deed for the day.  thanks op!
9/19/12 11:57 PM
Radio Raheem
1324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He fought Alessio Sakara on two weeks notice in his UFC debut.  Fought Mark Munoz on 11 days notice. Maia was his biggest test and he fought him on short notice as well.  He's undefeated in the UFC, which is extremely difficult to do into today's era.  He owns a KOTN and SOTN.  

Let me ask you this, who do you think should be ranked higher than him, and why? 
9/20/12 12:01 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Radio Raheem -  He fought Alessio Sakara on two weeks notice in his UFC debut.  Fought Mark Munoz on 11 days notice. Maia was his biggest test and he fought him on short notice as well.  He's undefeated in the UFC, which is extremely difficult to do into today's era.  He owns a KOTN and SOTN.  

Let me ask you this, who do you think should be ranked higher than him, and why? 
If we're talking quality of wins, Tim Boetsch. The eye test proves otherwise, though. I'm really not so sure Munoz is a better win than when Belcher beat Palhares but whatever. Thats why they'll fight a little more to get a more developed contender Phone Post
9/20/12 12:06 AM
Jake95
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Munoz is doing good things right now people just hate Phone Post
9/20/12 12:12 AM
ynot80
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The new Okami Phone Post
9/20/12 12:14 AM
Joe_Drogan420

Overrated?
Everyone at MW is ducking him.
9/20/12 12:18 AM
Ram Rod
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe_Drogan420 - Overrated?
Everyone at MW is ducking him.
Not Belcher Phone Post
9/20/12 12:19 AM
in_different
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. You know what, maybe Weidman deserves a shot though. But quite honestly, I would pick Chael, Vitor, Bisping, Belcher, and maybe Okami to defeat him.

I think Chael is more technical in every aspect, but Weidman has a higher chance of finishing an opponent. Either way, I don't believe him read for Anderson by a year and a half minimum. He will probably fight him sooner though
9/20/12 12:20 AM
Caught_clean
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love how fans can only look at numbers and stats, not what they observe in the cage.
9/20/12 12:36 AM
UGCTT_Sparro
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Weidman is overrated but I also don't think he's the definitive number 1 contender either. IMO there are 5 people who are in the contender mix.

Weidman, Boetch, Bisping, Stann, Belcher

Now Belcher is injured so you can take him out of there and the other 4 are fighting each other soon to narrow it down abit. So depending on when Anderson wants to fight again after Bonnar I say whoever wins in the most impressive, dominant fashion gets the next title shot.

If Anderson wants more time off then make the winner of Bisping/Stann fight the winner of Weidman/Boetch for a true number 1 contender.

Problem solved. Phone Post
9/20/12 12:40 AM
Ceelo
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR Vitor!!!
9/20/12 12:53 AM
UGCTT_Sparro
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ceelo -  WAR Vitor!!!
Not yet. Although Belfort vs Belcher makes sense. Phone Post
9/20/12 12:55 AM
UGCTT_zackthewop
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Sparro - I don't think Weidman is overrated but I also don't think he's the definitive number 1 contender either. IMO there are 5 people who are in the contender mix.

Weidman, Boetch, Bisping, Stann, Belcher

Now Belcher is injured so you can take him out of there and the other 4 are fighting each other soon to narrow it down abit. So depending on when Anderson wants to fight again after Bonnar I say whoever wins in the most impressive, dominant fashion gets the next title shot.

If Anderson wants more time off then make the winner of Bisping/Stann fight the winner of Weidman/Boetch for a true number 1 contender.

Problem solved. Phone Post
Nailed it! Phone Post
9/20/12 12:58 AM
Ceelo
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Sparro - 
Ceelo -  WAR Vitor!!!
Not yet. Although Belfort vs Belcher makes sense. Phone Post

I concur. 
9/20/12 1:09 AM
orcus

Beating Mark Munoz means he's better than GSP, obviously.
9/20/12 1:26 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -  Beating Mark Munoz means he's better than GSP, obviously.
Lol being out so long and having fought to decisions has made the ug forget how goos gsp is. Phone Post
9/20/12 1:30 AM
OSBtro11

Lol "enjoy your vote downs" what punishment ! Phone Post
9/20/12 1:35 AM
Ryan Black
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesomestprimedmybung - Weidman beats anyone at MW, only guys that could give him trouble are Jacare and Anderson.
From what I've seen so far from Wiedman... This. Phone Post
9/20/12 1:35 AM
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gegard Mousasi would wreck shop. Too bad he is elsewhere.
9/20/12 1:43 AM
Musashi

Edited: 09/20/12 1:43 AM
I think Weidman has been talking a lot lately and presuming too much with relatively little experience... That said, he is a BAD MOTHERFUCKER and easily one of the best up and coming talents in the sport. He will very likely be champion some day.. I just don't like all of his entitlement talk. He will get his shot. But he needs to chill the fuck out and let his skills do the talking. I want to keep liking him but his mouth is ruining it.
9/20/12 7:36 AM
aka_rtotheoh

Evan Tanner woulda smashed this dude Phone Post
9/20/12 8:01 AM
nobigdeal

I think op disappeared. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.