UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> George R.R. Martin on Dr. Strange?

9/20/12 2:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1428 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/09/george-r-r-martin-would-write-doctor-strange-with-a-catch/

George R.R. Martin, author of the bestselling fantasy epic A Song of Ice and Fire, is a Marvel fan from way back, with a letter in 1964′s Avengers #12 counted among his earliest published writing (he was a New Jersey teen at the time). So it probably should come as little surprise that, in theory at least, he wouldn’t mind taking a crack at writing Doctor Strange, whom he says “was always one of my favorites.”

A comic with “From the Creator of Game of Thrones” slapped across the cover would seem like a license for Marvel to print money. However, before Martin would even consider tackling the Master of the Mystic Arts, he would require an unlikely guarantee from the publisher.

“Before I would ever do that, I would have to have my lawyers to meet with Marvel’s lawyers and work out an absolutely iron-clad contract that would say whatever I did in the story would continue to be canon forever, and would never be retconned, rebooted or reimagined out of the universe when some later writer decided to mess around with it,” Martin tells MTV Geek in an interview recorded at Worldcon. “Because I hate that, I hate — I’ve always hated reboots and retcons and the fact that a writer comes in and undoes what a previous writer did and, y’know, brings dead characters back to life, kills new characters that weren’t intended to die. That’s the one thing I don’t like about comics. That drives me crazy.”

Given Martin’s penchant for killing beloved characters by the score, and the endless nature of superhero serials, it’s likely the “no retcon” stipulation might give Marvel pause. But let’s pretend an agreement could be reached; what would George R.R. Martin’s Doctor Strange be like?

“I’d separate him more, I wouldn’t drag in the rest of the Marvel Universe or make him part of a team,” the author says. “He doesn’t really fit any of that stuff. He’s a guy who hardly even should be known to the other heroes, living on the edge of the Marvel Universe, protecting the world and our dimension and plane from dangers and forces out there that the other characters, like Spider-Man and the Avengers, don’t even dream exists, y’know. He’s our wall against Cthulhu, the Great Old Ones and, y’know, the Dread Dormammu and stuff like that. That was when Doctor Strange was at his best, when Lee and Ditko were doing him in just that manner.”

9/20/12 2:39 PM
paw
1428 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw comments:  With the way Martin kills characters off, I'd be terrified...and I'd definately read it!
9/20/12 3:42 PM
dizz
541 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Synopsis:

Scene 1 (20 pages):

Dr. Strange wanders from NYC to Los Angeles.

Scene 2 (4 pages):

Dr. Strange gets raped.

Scene 3 (20 pages):

Dr. Strange wanders from Los Angeles to Seattle.

Scene 4 (6 pages):

Dr. Strange eats six pies, four cakes, two pieces of steak, and washes it down with an ale.

Scene 5 (20 pages):

Dr. Strange wanders back to NYC.

Scene 6 (15 pages):

Dr. Strange faces down an entire horde of enemies, and just as they begin to attack Manhattan....END BOOK

SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN THE BATTLE OF MANHATTAN BETWEEN DR. STRANGE AND THE FOUL HORDES OF HELL IN THE NEXT ISSUE, COMING OUT OCTOBER OF 2019
9/20/12 3:55 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First thought: this sounds cool

Second thought? FINISH YOUR FUCKING BOOK SERIES BEFORE YOU DIE, YOU FAT FUCK

....yeah Phone Post
9/20/12 4:12 PM
paw

dizz -  Synopsis:

Scene 1 (20 pages):

Scene 2 (4 pages):

Dr. Strange gets raped.

Scene 3 (20 pages):

Scene 4 (6 pages):

Dr. Strange eats six pies, four cakes, two pieces of steak, and washes it down with an ale.

Scene 5 (20 pages):

Scene 6 (15 pages):

Dr. Strange faces down an entire horde of enemies, and just as they begin to attack Manhattan....END BOOK

SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN THE BATTLE OF MANHATTAN BETWEEN DR. STRANGE AND THE FOUL HORDES OF HELL IN THE NEXT ISSUE, COMING OUT OCTOBER OF 2019

LOL
9/20/12 4:19 PM
joe canada
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dizz -  Synopsis:

Scene 1 (20 pages):

Scene 2 (4 pages):

Dr. Strange gets raped.

Scene 3 (20 pages):

Scene 4 (6 pages):

Scene 5 (20 pages):

Scene 6 (15 pages):

VTFU
9/20/12 8:23 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dizz -  Synopsis:

Scene 1 (20 pages):

Scene 2 (4 pages):

Dr. Strange gets raped.

Scene 3 (20 pages):

Scene 4 (6 pages):

Scene 5 (20 pages):

Scene 6 (15 pages):

Lol Phone Post
9/20/12 9:02 PM
MarkRobinson
1284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol@dizz

+1
9/21/12 12:15 AM
Calebcb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You forgot the couple pages showing every detail of his clothes as well as everyone else's in the room.
9/21/12 9:01 AM
Last Don
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ dizz
9/21/12 8:58 PM
Zenoplata
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha nice.

How about the part where he spends 30 pages talking about how awesome some character is and then have him killed in the next chapter off pannel or in a single sentence?
9/22/12 1:17 AM
Kido777
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/22/12 1:23 AM
Speaking of Dr. Strange, look at the list of Directors who have been intially signed to Direct the film. Everyone from Wes Craven to Guillermo del Toro and they had Neil Gaiman ready to write the script at one point. Damn that's disappointing that that never made it to the screen!

A movie version of Doctor Strange was initially listed as being in pre-production in 1986, with a script by Bob Gale.[47] For unknown reasons the film never went further into production, but by December 1992, Wes Craven signed to write and direct, with Savoy Pictures distributing.[48] The film was set for release in either 1994 or 1995.[49] However, Savoy went bankrupt and Columbia Pictures purchased the film rights. David S. Goyer had completed a script in 1995.[50] In April 1997, Jeff Welch was working on a new screenplay, with Bernie Brillstein and Brad Grey producing.[51]

Michael France was then commissioned to write a script. Despite interest from Chuck Russell and Stephen Norrington as directors, Columbia dropped Doctor Strange entirely.[52] By June 2001, Dimension Films acquired the film rights with Goyer back on board as writer and director. Goyer hinted scheduling conflicts might ensue with a film adaptation of Murder Mysteries,[53] and promised not to be highly dependent on computer-generated imagery.[50] By August 2001, Miramax Films acquired the film rights from Dimension,[54] but by March 2002, Goyer dropped out of the project.[55]

A 2005 release date was announced in March 2003,[56] while in June 2004, a script still had yet to be written. Avi Arad was in search of an A-list writer.[57] In April 2005, Paramount Pictures acquired Doctor Strange from Miramax, with a planned budget of $50–$165 million.[58] Guillermo del Toro was attached to direct in February 2008, approaching Neil Gaiman to write the script.[59]

In June 2010, Marvel Studios hired Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer to write Dr. Strange.[60] While promoting for Transformers: Dark of the Moon, actor Patrick Dempsey indicated he was lobbying to play the title character.[61]
9/22/12 1:38 AM
Zenoplata
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

del Toro would be absolutely perfect for a Dr. Strange movie.
9/22/12 1:49 AM
MarkRobinson
1284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guillermo as director.

Benicio Del Toro as Strange.

make mine marvel!
9/22/12 1:50 AM
MarkRobinson

I would be happy with Shia as Dr Strange.
9/22/12 9:28 AM
Kneeblock
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually really like the idea of Patrick Demsey as Strange. Phone Post
9/23/12 4:31 PM
Zenoplata

Dempsey isn't a bad idea.

Gary Mother Fuckin Oldman.
9/23/12 9:27 PM
JudOWNED
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata -  Haha nice.

How about the part where he spends 30 pages talking about how awesome some character is and then have him killed in the next chapter off pannel or in a single sentence?

Yeah, or actually kills Dr. Strange just as you're started to care what happens to him, and then continues the story based around other characters!
9/24/12 12:04 AM
MarkRobinson

9/24/12 9:27 AM
paw

Nobody is suggesting Will Smith?!?!?
AH HELL NAH!    ;)

9/24/12 10:21 AM
Zenoplata

Will Smith is a terrible idea!!!

On the other hand... they could CGI his son to look older...
9/24/12 10:58 AM
MarkRobinson

There's a rumor that Dr Strange will make an appearance in Thor2.

Best case scenario would be Shia as Dr Strange and Will Smith Jr as a cornrow rockin rendition of his man servant, Wong.
9/24/12 6:11 PM
Granpa
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw -  paw comments:  With the way Martin kills characters off, I'd be terrified...and I'd definately read it!

Indeed.
9/24/12 6:39 PM
Calebcb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/24/12 6:42 PM
Casting calls for Dr. Strange are currently being held in Gilette commercials. Rumors are Strange, Mordo and Brother Voodoo have already been cast.

Shia's schedule is full already. He's a lock to be the next Dr. Doom in the the Fantastic Four reboot.
9/24/12 8:43 PM
Zenoplata

You guys are so dumb. Didn't you watch Avengers? That was OBVIOUSLY Shia playing Thanos. I mean, they barely did anything other than turn him purple.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.