UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Jones fighting for his family

9/21/12 9:02 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Jon Jones has heard it all. He's been called an event-murderer, hated, selfish, afraid.

Saturday night, live on PPV, he will find sanctuary, maybe the hardest sanctuary on Earth, as he steps into the Octagon vs. former champion - two times by some accounts - Vitor Belfort.

After he famously declined a last minute offer to fight Chael Sonnen at UFC 151, and the event was cancelled, the next offer came without discussion. The silence spoke volumes.

“I had never really approved the fighter or had any type of discussion about who I would fight next," said Jones. "But I said I’d do to just to kind of silence some critics. Just to say, ‘You guys think I’m afraid to fight people or whatnot. I never said I was afraid to fight anyone.’

“I just always said I just need somewhat of an appropriate times to prepare. So just to prove I’m a man of my word. I accepted any challenge.”

“I believe I’m going to do well. I also know what I’m up against. I’m up against a real winner.”

At the UFC 152 pre fight press conference, Jones reflected.

“I won’t say my feelings get hurt but it’s definitely difficult to have people who don’t obviously know you throw out all these opinions of you," said Jones. "But at the same time, I get a lot of positive feedback."

“In the position that I am, looking to do something great, looking to be historic, to have my name surpass my life, it’s going to be hard. You’re going to face challenges. I’ve embraced that. I’ve embraced the difficulty that I’m going to have to go through.”

“I’ve had some diamond scenarios in my life. Winning a fight to me is a diamond scenario. I embrace the pressure. Pressure makes you stronger.”

“At the end of the day, none of this stuff matters. It’s a job. It’s so small. The drama, the controversy. There’s people out there starving to death. There’s people with AIDS. There’s just so much more going on. If I was to sit here and really believe I have a hard life, it would be selfish."

Jones greatest pride is the women in his life, fiancée Jesse, and three daughters, ages five, four, and three. The youngest, Carmen, is named for his late sister.

“I fight for something bigger than myself," said Jones. "I’m fighting for the long-term success of my family, the long-term security of my family. It’s a beautiful thing to be a father. It pushes me farther and motivates me farther than anything could motivate me.”

“I tell them I’ve got to go back to work. They say, ‘Well daddy. Are you getting ready to go be the champion?’ I say, ‘Yeah, daddy has to go practice being the champion.’ They say, ‘Since you gotta go to work today, does that mean we can get Barbies?’"

“Kids do understand the values and importance of working hard to get things. Things aren’t just handed to you. You really gotta work for them. They know and they understand how hard their father works.”

Read entire article...

9/21/12 10:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CaptainPlanet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He keeps mentioning putting his livelihood in regards to 151. Does he mean getting injured by Sonnen or losing to him? The fact of the matter is, you risk career ending injury EVERY time you enter the cage. And if he were to lose, he would get an immediate rematch. Nobody stays undefeated in MMA. Lame excuse is lame. Phone Post
9/21/12 10:12 AM
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Que Chris rocks
"what do you want, a cookie?" Phone Post
9/21/12 12:56 PM
Ironhouse
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rampage is better spoken than usual here.
9/21/12 3:22 PM
Gatorade
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why is this even news?

"i fight for my family"

he said the same exact thing before his last fight on the ufc primetime show. i wont talk about what happened not long after that. 

now hes got a fight coming up and hes back to this same old story again

ug news should note that "i fight for my family" is not news when coming from jon jones

give us something new to read and discuss. 

9/21/12 3:50 PM
Fabefromfort
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It just dumbfounds me that the Fighters are giving their approval or , outright turning down fights. It should be a highly objective process with some subjectivity for obvious reasons to select opponents; then, you should be able to fucking tell these guys to get into the Octagon, or Ring. Make them fight each other, even if they are motherfucking brothers should the pieces of the puzzle fall that way. Sick of the Veto power Silva, and Jones wield and use to the detriment of MMA. We need more organizations that are bigger. I want to go somewhere else should this bullshit keep happening ( Fighters ducking each other ). Right now folks just put your wallets, and purses and Fag-bags away , and don't buy UFC PPV events til they give us what we want IE Jones-Weidman, Jones-Silva Silva-Weidman. Silva- Jones the most. Save your dough, watch You tube theres tons of old Pride, K1, and Boxing to watch and educate your sorryassed selves about fighting. You obviously don't know jack about fighting if you keep buying this UFC crap.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.